World Cup HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncfuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Frederick, MD
It is Saturday morning and I am in the D.C. market and I am NOT getting the World Cup game in HD on ABC right now.
Doest it ever work right.

Watched both games today, in HD, via my OTA and going to watch the 3:00 one on ESPN-2. Great seeing the games in HD. Thanks ABC & ESPN.

Give a wake-up call to your local ABC station!

Does it really matter. Its just soccer. It's not like they dropped the ball on the NHL or MLB.

Has anyone else been having sound sink problems an ABC? It was happening frequently during both games on Saturday. More so during the first game. It was like 10-15 sec behind the video and it even carried over into commercials. I was watching it via OTA in Buffalo.

The games were broadcast in SD for a while on Saturday and then were switched over to HD. ABC definitely forgot to throw the switch.

Gen Custer said:
Does it really matter. Its just soccer. It's not like they dropped the ball on the NHL or MLB.

yeah, they wouldn't want to upset all 12 hockey fans. 1.7 rating for the stanley cup finals vs. 2.9 for sweden - trinidad and tobago. hockey is done.

Last edited:
Gen Custer said:

You do know that there are other continents on this planet other than North America, right?

BTW, I'd rather shave my dogs ass for 3 hours than watch a majority of the MLB games out there.

Soccer is worse then watching paint dry. Even bad baseball is more exciting then soccer. The other continents are merely a thorn in America's side. Soccer is a worldwide phenomenom simply because its dirt cheap to play. Anyhting in the shape of a ball will do. Most youngsters don't have the money to buy gloves, bats, pads, basketball hoops etc.

The only reason it stays on life support here in the US is that soccer moms don't want their kids to get hurt. They perceive soccer as totally safe exercise with no contact or injuries. According to an article in Newsday, something like 90% of kids drop soccer and move on to the real US sports - videogames, television and baseball, football etc.

It just has too many people on the field at the same time with not enough scoring ooportunities. Its just as bad as hockey got over the past several years with all of the clutching and grabbing. They fixed hockey this year, maybe they need to tweak soccer so that we have numerous scoring chances with more 5-4 games.

Comparing ratings isn't really fair as the World cup has been hyped beyond belief while most people don't get or can't find OLN.

Gen Custer said:
Soccer is worse then watching paint dry. Even bad baseball is more exciting then soccer. The other continents are merely a thorn in America's side. Soccer is a worldwide phenomenom simply because its dirt cheap to play. Anyhting in the shape of a ball will do. Most youngsters don't have the money to buy gloves, bats, pads, basketball hoops etc.

The only reason it stays on life support here in the US is that soccer moms don't want their kids to get hurt. They perceive soccer as totally safe exercise with no contact or injuries. According to an article in Newsday, something like 90% of kids drop soccer and move on to the real US sports - videogames, television and baseball, football etc.

It just has too many people on the field at the same time with not enough scoring ooportunities. Its just as bad as hockey got over the past several years with all of the clutching and grabbing. They fixed hockey this year, maybe they need to tweak soccer so that we have numerous scoring chances with more 5-4 games.

Comparing ratings isn't really fair as the World cup has been hyped beyond belief while most people don't get or can't find OLN.

You just don't like soccer on TV because there are no commercials and you cannot wait 45 minutes to go to the bathroom. Since you don't understand the game (except for a goal), then it must be boring. Sorry, but the games are not on OLN. They are on ESPN and ABC in High Definition and all of us who played the game over the years and were born and raised here in the good old USA enjoy it. The most fun is to watch the games at an English Pub with hundreds of other Americans who also know and played the game. You, of course, are entitled to your opinion although you are just showing your ignorance.

Gen Custer said:

you have no idea what you are talking about. that 1.7 rating was for the game on nbc.

The NHL is on OLN which no one can find while the soccer is on ABC/ESPN (If you read carefully, I said this in my previous post). The distribution just doesn't compare as the world cup gets all the disney hype-(watching us type in this thread would get better ratings on espn then hockey on OLN). NBC doesn't hype the games so the comparison in ratings isn't fair. Either way we are comparing two fringe sports (with some cold weather exceptions) here in the US. Soccer can't hold a candle to the big 3.

You can flame me all you want but when the world cup is over, soccer will go back to being the fringe sport it is and will always be in this country. It just doesn't present well enough on TV for people here to enjoy and there is too much established competition.

In a month and a half, no one will be able to tell you who won. They'll just go back to enjoying Yankees-Red Sox games and getting ready for the NFL season.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)