D* Newbie Needs Guidance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I know that this is going to be a weird question,but here goes. Hopefully today I'll get my D* satellite dish installed & I'll have D* up & running. My question is to expect when I turn on my D* receiver(after the set-up & firmware preliminaries are finished). I ask because this is the first time I ever has satellite TV. I've only had cable. Now yesterday,I got SkyAngel for my mother. After I set it up & turned it on(& got the prelims out of the way),the receiver sent me straight to.........the home page. from there I made my choice if I wanted to watch TV,listen to the radio,etc. So I punched in TV,........& I was sent to another menu.From there I had to choose what channel I wanted to watch.......then I was able to get a channel broadcasting.
I'm used to & only know cable receivers(Charter Cable) & when I turn those on for the first time,it goes straight to whatever channel the box was set to before I got it.
So please explain to a newbie what to expect to minimize bewilderment when I turn it on & the first thing up(maybe) is not a TV channel(any channel) broadcasting. I honestly don't remember setting up my digital cable boxes(for the first time),HD receiver(ditto),& finally my HD DVR,& then scratching my like I did that SkyAngel receiver yesterday(& saying to myself,"God,is this what I can expect from D* also :confused:?").

1- Get rid of the italic font, hard to read.
2- Directv is not SkyAngel, which is delivered over the internet.
2- The TV will display channels, some of which have "how to" videos from Directv, or select a channel and watch TV. The installer should demo the operation of the equipment before you sign.

GL, Eric

When you first turn on the box, you will go through some initial set up.

You may have to set up the dish type, set up whether you have SWM or Multiswitch. Most of the time the box will see that and automatically populate the fields.

Follow the prompts.

You will have to go through resolution setup. The box will test your display to find compatible resolutions and set those.

Follow the prompts.

The guide data will then download via the Sat feed. This may take a few minutes, there's a progress bar. Don't be concerned it if seems like it's stuck just leave it.

You DO NOT have to have a phone line or Internet connection to do this or any other initial setup

Follow the prompts.

Usually the first channel to appear is 201.

After that you're all set.

Your installer will do all of that. They SHOULD verify that you are receiving all the channels your package has.

Once he/she leaves, you may have to do some adjusting of settings like, changing the resolution you want to display by default, Color of background, Pillar boxes, Audio and of course Favorite channels.

If I forgot a step or two in the above I apologize, I just did this the 2 days ago, so I wrote this from memory.

In all it takes about 10-15 mins, and then you're done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts