D* OTA Winegard ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bshef

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I upgraded to HD last month and bought a HD Tivo.
In speaking to CS one day about my account I realized that the installer had not installed an OTA antenna. The CS agreed to send the installer back out with the Winegard OTA so that I would get more Locals.
The installer shows up and after several phone calls to his Supervisor for direction on how to set the Antenna up.......tells me the Winegard isn't picking up "any" channels. He calls his Super again and the super tells me I should get on the Antenna.org website and see that Huntington Beach Ca is all red.
SIGH!
I questioned why no-one researched this before wasting my whole Saturday afternoon. They then tell me I should buy a set of "rabbit ears" to get all the locals!
WTF kind of service is this?
I tell the installer to take the antenna off my roof and he starts whinning that he might not get paid. Sigh......
Can anyone give me a little direction here about what they think D* will possibly offer me for this Mickey Mouse rag-tag circus act?
Or is OTA through D* implied to be "Maybe it will" or "Maybe it won't work"? Roll the dice and take a chance! Why do they even offer this?

Frustrated

Just to play devil's advocate, did you do any research either?

Now I am one to agree that some installers are too quick with the "I don't know act" because time is money and they want to run off to the next job (no excuse), but things do require you do a bit of homework as well.

What model is the antenna? Where the diplexers installed correctly or did he run the cable directly to your receiver?

On antennaweb.org I used single story home, in the 92648 zip, with obstructions present and came up with 341 deg heading and red and blue use (37m - 90m depending on stations). Try the Winegard HD9095p or the PR9032 and make sure to point it to the 341 deg heading, maybe thats where he went wrong.

sigh.....!
Thanks for the reply......!
I'm not certain what model....a quick glance at the Winegard site reveals it to be a "Sensar". Some literature I found with the box reports the antenna works in the "Green" color code.

I'm in a 2 story with not much obstruction and in the 92646 Zip.....

My frustration is.......Direct Tv and the installers are suppose to be the pros.....
I'm a fricken end user. No, I don't really know that much about this realm and was depending on D* to provide a reliable service for my $. I have no idea where 361 deg is although I did over hear the installer speaking about haveing the OTA pointed directly opposite the dish as a reference.
I appreciate your comments.

the sensar is ok if you have a very clear shot to the towers and not more than 20 miles away - I am 22 miles from the cincinnati towers and the sensar works well.. I am also above the towers with a very clear shot..

jim

Well D* is just the DBS provider, yes they may have scheduled an installer, but it is between the installer and you to make sure you get a satisfactory install. Seeing you found what you have, at least now you know you need something better.

how much is this sensar and mount worth?........
Do I hear uh.....$30......$40......$50?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)