D*'s Off-air antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

zwildcats

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
While stepping through D*'s current promotion, I noticed that I could add an 'HD Off-Air Antenna' for $49. Is this a good antenna? Is it included in the free installation?

From what I've read, not very good and most installers have no clue on how to install them or even with them. My brother tried to do this and was scared at what he was doing. In the end, it was junk and didnt keep any signal. They are also only meant for close to tower areas like 10 miles or less. So you are better off doing some research yourself and installing yourself. You will actually save some money and get a better signal. Just have the installer add another OTA line down to each receiver you want to receive OTA.

If getting 5 LNB dish, you cant couple the OTA line with Sat signal anymore. If older dish you can but eventually you will need 5 LNB for most new and all HD channels. Directv is still experimenting with a SWM or Single Wire Multiswitch which allows 2 lines and OTA over one wire but no public release date yet.

check out antennaweb.org for your location and type of antenna needed. I like Channel Master the best but you have to be comfortable with size and direction. This is a good link for OTA reception in your DMA or market.

United States THREAD INDEX - find your local discussion thread HERE. - AVS Forum

No problem. OTA can be difficult and a pain so actually requires some research and varies from location to location and even house to house. The rules of thumb are this.

1. Higher the better.
2. External over internal
3. Old school is the best. Meaning the older antenna designs are the best
4. Stay very very far away from Terk. They are expensive and not very good
5. You need a powered pre-amp if signal over 100 feet from antenna
6. If your tower locations are in separate areas, you many need a rotator or 2 separate antennas coupled together. I have a separate UHF and separate VHF at opposite ends of house that eventually get combined to one line into house. My ABC is south and the UHF ones are north so much better to have separate since different locations and signal types.
7. Make sure to ground it
8. You need a separate line for OTA now. 5 LNB dishes do not allow coupling OTA and Directv signal due to new Sat ka band.

No problem. OTA can be difficult and a pain so actually requires some research and varies from location to location and even house to house. The rules of thumb are this.

1. Higher the better.
2. External over internal
3. Old school is the best. Meaning the older antenna designs are the best
4. Stay very very far away from Terk. They are expensive and not very good
5. You need a powered pre-amp if signal over 100 feet from antenna
6. If your tower locations are in separate areas, you many need a rotator or 2 separate antennas coupled together. I have a separate UHF and separate VHF at opposite ends of house that eventually get combined to one line into house. My ABC is south and the UHF ones are north so much better to have separate since different locations and signal types.
7. Make sure to ground it
8. You need a separate line for OTA now. 5 LNB dishes do not allow coupling OTA and Directv signal due to new Sat ka band.

Brewer,
What do you use to combine the two seperate antenna signals ?

Jimbo

Since they are different antennas, a simple UHF/VHF splitter combiner. Looks like a regular coax splitter. One input is marked UHF and the other VHF. Goes to one wire.

Since they are different antennas, a simple UHF/VHF splitter combiner. Looks like a regular coax splitter. One input is marked UHF and the other VHF. Goes to one wire.

Hmmm,
I tried to run strictly a UHF antenna awhile back and wanted to add it to the UHF/VHF I already had, pointing in a different direction, this way I would be able to get both cities without having to adjust the antenna each time I wanted to go to the other city ....
I had no luck doing this, maybe I should look into this and revisit it.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts