D* Subscriber considering switch to Dish

mhutsell3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Noblesville, IN
D* Subscriber considering switch to Dish - have questions

I am currently a D* subscriber considering the move to Dish. I have a few questions and maybe this is not the best place to ask. Is it worth moving to Dish? Will my two Series 2 Tivo's work with the DISH 332 Receiver and the 811 HD Receiver? I understand that they will only record the non HD channels.

I am already making out like a bandit in that they are going to give me 2 HD Receivers and then a dual 332 receiver at no charge for moving over. It seems like a better deal but I would like to hear some other opinions. I have been with D* for almost 4 years now and they have not given me anything for free. I called to get a HD receiver and they want $250 and me to sign up for another year.

Thanks,

Mhutsell3 :)

I'd recommend waiting a few more weeks and see with E* and D* announce concerning their plans for new HD channels and the MPEG4 rollout. Remember, any HD box you get now would have to be replace to receive any of the new MPEG4 HD channels.

If they are Directivos then they will not work at all with DISH's equipment.

I would recommend staying. DISH's equipment, IMHO, isn't that reliable. I've had the most reliability with our Directv equipment.

The 942 is mpeg 4 compatible and will record in HD and standard TV and also give you recording on 2 TV's. The above information from RAD was incorrect on the 942 is mpeg 4 ready but the 811 is not mpeg 4 capable. Plus I think you will like the Dish DVR so why pay Tivo.

I would wait... Getting something for free from E* now sounds like a deal, but if D* has better programming, you may be kicking yourself.

rowemance said:
The 942 is mpeg 4 compatible and will record in HD and standard TV and also give you recording on 2 TV's. The above information from RAD was incorrect on the 942 is mpeg 4 ready but the 811 is not mpeg 4 capable. Plus I think you will like the Dish DVR so why pay Tivo.

WHOA, the 942 is 'MPEG 4 ready'? Can you plese provide me a link to where that is published? Everything that I've seen so far says all the currently available hardware from E* is only MPEG2 and can't be upgraded. If I'm misinformed so be it, that's why I'd like the link so I can make sure I have accurate information. Thanks

rowemance said:
Plus I think you will like the Dish DVR so why pay Tivo.

Well I already own both Tivos 80 hours upgraded to 320 hours and I already paid lifetime service on both units, so I am kind of locked in to that. I like the Tivo so that I can transfer programs to my computer and burn onto DVD for archival purposes. Why but the DVD sets when I can make my own.

Are both D* and E* going to make announcements soon? What is the speculation as to what they are planning? I really want to go to HD and cannot with the equipment I have right now even though I have two HD ready TV's?

That was one of the big controversies whenever the 942 came out. People griped because it's not, nor will it ever be, MPEG-4 compatible.

As a dish subscriber for a few years, I say wait a few months before making any decision, like someone already said. E* will roll out mpeg-4 after D*, so unless you're really compelled by what E* rolls out in terms of HD channels, I don't think you'll have any reason to switch.

Unless you like bingo and karaoke, then the move to E* makes more sense...=)

Whichever deal you decide to go with, you can save $50 off the Install with Club Dish Referral Numbers. Let me know if you are interested. PM me by clicking on my usename.

Thanks very much.

I decided to stay with D*. I was at Best Buy in Lafayette and they had the H10 Receiver for $299 with a $300 rebate. I took the plunge into high definition today. Was this a bad move?

mhutsell3 said:
I decided to stay with D*. I was at Best Buy in Lafayette and they had the H10 Receiver for $299 with a $300 rebate. I took the plunge into high definition today. Was this a bad move?

HOW did you get a $300 rebate? Are you SURE this was even for existing D* subs? Is it on their website, or was it a local store thing?

Uh lets see, you got PAID $1 to take an H10 - yea, sounds like a bad deal to me... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (heavy sarcasm here :D :D )
You actually have to ASK if this is good???

I purchased it at the Best Buy in Lafayette, IN. The CSR there indicated that it was limited to 25 of their stores and they received a ton (She indicated like 10 pallets of these receivers). they had them on pallets sitting in the aisle. I wonder if D* is trying to blow these out and get rid of the stock before the Mpeg4 upgrades come out. I actually wasn't wanting to know if it was a good deal, I knew it was. I just thought that some other people might want to know. I don't know what other stores were involved she would not give me that info. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)