D-TV On Demand...Not that great

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MadMan

Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Has anyone else out there opted for the new On Demand Service? Overall, I am very disappointed with this service. There is little out there to actually download. Further, I was very upset to see that HBO On Demand is not even available. I was recently visiting my son who has Cox Cable and on demand service. He could literally download almost any show at his option, including any HBO movie, series show, etc.

Does anyone know if Direc Tv will be upgrading the on demand service or if they will be adding HBO on demand anytime soon?

I have the On-Demand and it is not bad. I agree more choices would nice but I figure that will come with time. It is still a relativity new service. I came over from a cable company that had no on-demand at all and about ten HD channels. So, I can say I am very happy with my D* setup.

The On Demand through DTV is on par with that of Comcast (at least here in NH), although I could get HBO on demand through Comcast. I don't use on demand much myself but it comes in useful for the kids. The only drawback as that it is only available through the DVR, where with Comcast they could watch programs on any TV with a box.

I am moving from Charter on 10/30. On Demand was not that big of deal to me. I used it occasional(Had all the Premiums). I will us it less with D* because the DVR has space to store a lot more on their DVR's and an easier use for External hard drive.

Dont feel bad Dish Network is just as bad...........

Dish is far worse in that most everything they have is not free (last time I checked which was a few months ago). At least with D*, most of it is free. Yet I do agree that there is room to grow. But as a satellite customer, being that the only VOD available to me is either Dish or DirectTV, DirectTV's offering is far superior.

Can't say it has done much for me. In fact, I cannot cite a single case where it was helpful. I have downloaded 4 or 5 things from it, but I could have recorded them just as easily.

Stick with it. The service is just now rolling out, it is far from being nationwide currently. I know DTV is making a big push at this, and you can expect many of the major on demand providers such as HBO to sign on once the market share gets a little higher.

Currently it is more just testing the system than testing the quality of content. I expect by next summer once the rollout is finishing up the content will be much higher quality.

I think there on deamnd is great, even though its missing hbo & max, but it has far more options than twc

Free.. the VOD service is "free" if you sub to the channels it provides. Unlike HD or DVR service where you have to pay an additional amount to obtain those services.

Cable companies have had VOD for years verses D* and E* for a few months so it will get better, but if VOD is your deciding factor then stick to your Cable Company.

stuck at 60%

I tried to download Fred Claus hd tonight and the queue is stuck on 60%.
I have my dvr H21 connected to ethernet. How long does it usually take to finish so we can start watching? Right now, I don't seen any method in which we can start to watch. Thanks.

I tried to download Fred Claus hd tonight and the queue is stuck on 60%.
I have my dvr H21 connected to ethernet. How long does it usually take to finish so we can start watching? Right now, I don't seen any method in which we can start to watch. Thanks.

You should be able to start to play it like any other recorded program that's in your playlist. The progress bar is red(don't start to watch yet, probably run out of content), yellow (you can try you might not hit the end of the buffer) and green( you can start watching and shouldn't run out of buffer).

Thanks for quick reply. We started it about 30 minutes ago and it goes from zero to 60% back to zero to 80% then back to 60% etc. There is no option to "play" or I don't know where to find the play option. Thanks for helping.

Thanks for quick reply. We started it about 30 minutes ago and it goes from zero to 60% back to zero to 80% then back to 60% etc. There is no option to "play" or I don't know where to find the play option. Thanks for helping.

Does it show up when you press the "List" Button on the remote? If so, then press the play button on the remote and it should start playing.

no, it does not show up within the LIST of recorded shows - only my other recorded shows are there
it is still in the queue and it keeps going back and forth to 95%

I had to make an adjustment on our firewall to get it to work. All is good now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)