D10-100 picture qual vs. RCA DRD430RG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

baroque5

Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I've tried searching for this issue since I know these are older models but wasn't too successful so any help would be appreciated....

A friend had an RCA DRD430RG and wanted the caller ID feature. I've had my D10-100 in a closet unused so I sent it to him. He installed the D10 and says the picture looks "dull" and the skin tones are "peachy-colored" compared to his 430.

When I was using the D10 before, I didn't notice anything unusual with the colors, but I never had the 430 to compare to, so I wouldn't know if there was a difference anyway. He tried adjusting the TV, changing out cables, using different connectors, and different tvs but still found the RCA colors to be better.

Does anyone know if there really is a picture quality difference between the two, or is it possible that a receiver could be damaged to somehow only diminish color quality? Everything else seems to be fine. Thanks a bunch....

hmmmm
i have changed form a 430 to a D10 100 a while back and didnt notice any difference.

That seems funny, since both receivers were made by Thompson, which makes RCA electronics and (some) D* receivers.

baroque5 said:
I've tried searching for this issue since I know these are older models but wasn't too successful so any help would be appreciated....

A friend had an RCA DRD430RG and wanted the caller ID feature. I've had my D10-100 in a closet unused so I sent it to him. He installed the D10 and says the picture looks "dull" and the skin tones are "peachy-colored" compared to his 430.

When I was using the D10 before, I didn't notice anything unusual with the colors, but I never had the 430 to compare to, so I wouldn't know if there was a difference anyway. He tried adjusting the TV, changing out cables, using different connectors, and different tvs but still found the RCA colors to be better.

Does anyone know if there really is a picture quality difference between the two, or is it possible that a receiver could be damaged to somehow only diminish color quality? Everything else seems to be fine. Thanks a bunch....

It is possible that tolerances* in the components used to make up the circuits in question could cause variations you describe, even with 2 identical units, it could be his TV LACKS sensitivity AND/OR the D10 is a less efficient tuner which would add up to a worse picture. When you had it on your TV, besides you not having a 430 to compare, your visual accuity likely differs from his, also, while you did not indicate, but you probably have a different TV than he does, and if you have the SAME TV he does, component tolerences (usaully +-5%) could still come into play.

So to summarize, it could be a weaker tuner in the D10, or low sensitivity on his TV, or a combination of the two, to add to it, there are +-5% tolerant components, and there are more expensive +-1% tolerant components, the 430 _may_ use the better 1%ers while the D10 uses the normal +-5%ers.

OR, it could be all in his head. ;)

* = If a component is defective its tolerance can go way out of whack, making a less sensitive TV show issues where a TV with a heartier circuit won't with the same STB.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts