Daily loss of satellite...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rlmalmberg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Background:

Oval dish; 3 Tivos; multiswitch

For the past month I am losing my satellite signal everyday. It affects all receivers and all channels. It goes out between 10:30 am-12:30. It stays off for as little as 30 minutes, or as much as 4 hours. Then it comes back on all by itself.

There is no degradation of signal prior to the outage. It goes from great to nothing instantly. I get the "searching for satellite" message. Signal test shows 0 at the time of the outage.

Because they don't schedule exact appt. times, I can only choose morning or afternoon. The first call was scheduled for the afternoon...but the problem had already corrected itself for the day when he arrived. The second time I requested morning...but he came first thing in the morning and the outage had not yet occurred.

First visit by Directv, I was told the dish was a little out of alignment and he adjusted it. The next day the problem recurred.

Second visit: Probably bad LNB...tech replaced the entire dish. 30 minutes after he left, the problem recurred.

Third visit: Scheduled for this afternoon.....any ideas? Hopefully the signal will be out when he gets here.

rlmalmberg said:
Background:

Oval dish; 3 Tivos; multiswitch

For the past month I am losing my satellite signal everyday. It affects all receivers and all channels. It goes out between 10:30 am-12:30. It stays off for as little as 30 minutes, or as much as 4 hours. Then it comes back on all by itself.

There is no degradation of signal prior to the outage. It goes from great to nothing instantly. I get the "searching for satellite" message. Signal test shows 0 at the time of the outage.

Because they don't schedule exact appt. times, I can only choose morning or afternoon. The first call was scheduled for the afternoon...but the problem had already corrected itself for the day when he arrived. The second time I requested morning...but he came first thing in the morning and the outage had not yet occurred.

First visit by Directv, I was told the dish was a little out of alignment and he adjusted it. The next day the problem recurred.

Second visit: Probably bad LNB...tech replaced the entire dish. 30 minutes after he left, the problem recurred.

Third visit: Scheduled for this afternoon.....any ideas? Hopefully the signal will be out when he gets here.

Still sounds like a bad lnb to me.

Would that not have been part of the dish replacement that he did the second visit?
Thanks,
Lynn

What is your LoS like?

Also, I remember some time ago that it was reported that a specific factory release of LNB make & model was defective, maybe due to heat. Sorry I can't give more details, but maybe this will spur another user that does remember.

Well the multiswitch would be the first susupect since you get no signal from any of the 3 LNB's. Bypass the multiswitch when the failure mode is occuring to see if that is it. I had one that was tempature sensitive and when I replaced it everything has worked great since.

Its 90% the LNB going bad, 10:30 A.M. is not get too hot as afternoon, if the switch is heat or cold sensitive, it should at the hottest or coldest time.

sksatellite said:
Its 90% the LNB going bad, 10:30 A.M. is not get too hot as afternoon, if the switch is heat or cold sensitive, it should at the hottest or coldest time.

Per post, tech replaced dish on second trip, I would presume he replaced the LNB with the new dish ....

I would swap out or remove the multi switch from the equasionas that is about the only thing left, other than the coax.

Jimbo

Yes, I confirmed the LNB was replaced with the dish.

Actually...the mornings are the hottest part of the day for the multiswitch location....it's mounted on the lower east wall of the house. As the sun tracks over the house, it winds up in the shade by the afternoon. We'll check the switch the next time we have an outage. We haven't lost the signal for two days now....cooler weather.

Thanks for all the help.

You could have something transmitting like a radar detector at a certain time of day.

Its like one customer I knew lost his signal at 7pm and it returned the next morning. Turned out the next door neighbor had a radar detector and when he was home, the other neighbors Dish would go out :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.