[Texas] Dallas-Fort Worth's KDGE loses it Edge after 27 years.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
Dallas-Fort Worth legendary Modern Rock/Alternate Rock station KDGE 1021 The Edge is ending it's 27 year (11 of those on 94.5 FM and 16 at 102.1 FM) run as The Alternate Rock station for the DFW Metroplex area.

IHeartMedia pulled the plug on the iconic format due to a huge decline in the ratings in which The Edge was losing listeners to sister stations Rocker KEGL 97.1 The Eagle (which ironically had the same thing happen to it in 2004 when IHeartMedia was still known as Clear Channel pulled the Plug on the rock format to flip it to Sunny 97.1 which failed and then a year later it flipped to a Spanish format which also flopped and then KEGL was flip back to the Eagle in late 2007.)

The Edge signed on at 94.5 FM on June 30, 1989 as a new home for a new sound of Rock in the DFW area in which Wendy Naylor and George Gimarc created the legendary Modern Rock/Alternate Rock station. the station lasted 11 years at 94.5 when on November 9, 2000, it moved to 102.1 FM (in which Clear Channel acquired AMFM Radio and as part of a deal, the formal, the 102.1 FM location, Edge branding, the jocks and the KDGE calls was acquired by Clear Channel while the previous format, call letters, branding, jocks and 94.5 FM location were acquired by Radio One) and brought back some form of Rock to the 102.1 FM location after 2 years of no rock music in which 102.1 was home to legendary now defunct rocker Q102 ended on August 27, 1998 which flipped from Rock to Jamming Oldies Magic 102.1 on August 31, 1998.

the station ended it's 27 year run as a rocker and 16 year run at 102.1 FM on Wednesday November 16, 2016 by ending it with the final 2 songs being "All My Life" by the Foo Fighters, "Out of My League" by Fitz & the Tantrums and then starting stunting with a continuous loop of the song "Closing Time" by Semisonic. in which between when the song ends and restarts, bumpers were telling people to tune in to sister station 97.1 The Eagle for the Sound of The Edge (aka Rock) and stay tune at 5 PM on Thursday (November 17, 2016) for the new sound of 102.1.

it's a sad day for DFW rock radio as the Edge is gone, but the memories will live on though the Edge listeners that listen to the station for the last 3 decades.

stories about the Edge's format change from Radio Insight, D Magazine, Fort Worth Star Telegram and NBC 5 (KXAS TV):
http://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainment...-Sends-Listeners-to-The-Eagle--401578586.html
http://www.star-telegram.com/living/article115204818.html
http://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2016/11/kdge-is-no-longer-your-new-music-alternative/
https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/109180/kdge-dallas-drops-alternative-after-27-years/

as someone from North Texas that grew up listening to The Edge, i'm gonna miss the station and i thank The Edge for the memories, RIP 94.5/102.1 The Edge June 30, 1989-November 16, 2016.

Update: shortly after 5 PM yesterday, KDGE launched it's new format, but before they did, they had one last farewell to The Edge complete with it's history being revisited before saying one last thank you to it's listeners.

And after that, they did a catchy and funny launch where Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus launch the new format and Santa pressed the wrong button only to be told about it from a elf. Then the right button is pressed and The new format launches as a all Christmas music station from now until Christmas, then after that it will be AC after that. It will be known as Star 102.1. the AC format was a long time staple of 103.7 KVIL before they switch to CHR/top 40. So this new format will fill the void left behind by KVIL's switch to Top 40.

Link from Radio Insight here:
https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/109180/kdge-dallas-drops-alternative-after-27-years/

It is always interesting to see these radio formats switch from one station to another. Every time I go to Albuquerque it seems several have switched around. Unfortunately, there is really nothing new, oldies move to the spot previously held by country, etc. Here in El Paso, the formats seem to remain fairly stable, possibly due to the fact that the majority are Spanish. The few English language stations have carried the same format for many years. Over in Juarez, a couple of the FM's have gone to mostly English Top 40 with announcements in Spanish.
I would like to get back to Dallas for a visit one day.

My big question is how much new rock was being played? The running theme for slow decline in the Northeast is over saturation of 90s rock, and two to three not so great modern bands mixed.

I'm trying to find all evidence that either proves or disproves my theory that FM radio coporations are purposely trying to kill rock radio. Look at the variety of satellite radio and internet only outlets, and look at the lack of variety on FM, and tell me that something isn't in the works to rehash either talk radio or the same 10 cookie cutter pop or country acts.

The irony is all the new music that these FM rock outlets play, happens to be either something that can translate over to pop radio, or is an act from the 90s with a new song (Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains, Green Day, etc). Either, it's a master plan, or every PD at the local and corporate level are the biggest idiots in America, that they can't see a trend of same 90s acts being 15 years outdated.

Although, as a side note, I get two Clear Channel (will never refer to them by their stupid name now) stations from New Hampshire. There is better variety, but that doesn't mean that they have nearly enough modern rock. Their variety jumps from the 70s to now, but now is acts like freaking Nickelback and Kid Rock. Let's just say that I listen to them for their good variety of 70s, 80s, and 90s rock.

Is there enough modern rock being produced to support a full time radio format? On a recent trip to California I listened to KROQ for a while but must admit that I am so out of touch that I could not tell you if it was all new music or ten years old. I actually switched over to the HD-02 stream that is KROQ's "Rock of the Eighties" format. How is modern rock differentiated from mainstream rock nowadays? In the 90's it was largely influenced by British bands and I was amazed at the whole new musical universe that I had never heard when I moved from New Mexico to Burbank in 1991.

There definitely is. It's just not being played nearly enough on FM. My sources for this statement are SiriusXM Octane and Alt Nation, as well as the Indie 103.1 app out of Los Angeles, Q101 app out of Chicago, and Radio BDC app out of Boston. The apps are more for the ALT music than hard rock.

There might be some big influence from the last 10 years, but there is enough to make a modern full time FM station. Good question though. KROQ is one of the last Alternative stations out there on FM that isn't influenced by a heavy 90s rotation.

"If they are so hot, then why are they tearing up the charts, babe?" "Because you never play them babe!" Quote from the movie Airheads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)