Damaged C Band 8' dish - Part II

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WyrTwister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Dammaged C Band 8' dish - Part II

Took a known good LNB & a pretty certain to be scalar ring , feed horn & polorotor & mounted it on the button hook of the damaged 8' dish .

Stuck the button hook into the dish , hooked a coax cable to the LNB .

Ran another coax from the TV Out of the receiver , to an old B&W TV . Ran an extension cord to the TV & fired up the TV .

Fired up the receiver , inside the house . Set the receiver to the TP for one of the STRONG religious analog channels on Galaxy 4 ( Shepard's Chapel , I think ) .

Commenced to lift the back edge of the dish ( dish laying on the ground ) up and started to tilt it up & down , side to side . Bang ! Picked up my test channel .

Tried to temperoraly prop the dish up with a pipe , but that did not work .

Anyway , I consider the experiment to be a success . In spite of the damage , the dish will still capture enough of a signal to produce video .

Will continue to putter along , trying to the parts and pieces back into operational shape .

Latter,
Wyr

Got the broken off bolts drilled out & tapped in the mount .

Pounded the 2" pipe down untill the bottom of coupling is just about at the ground . This will be a temporary mount untill I can do something with a 3-1/2" OD pole .

Wifey helped me put the dish on the mount .

Installed the dish mover off of the Zenith dish . Badly need to re-adjust it .

Just stuck the button jook / feedhorn in the center of the dish . This needs adjustment .

Did not get any channels , ran out of daylight . And I was tired .

Latter,
Wyr

Well , the temporary 2" pipe is now leaning , with the weight of the dish . No supprise .

Will rig a brace or a wedge to bring it back to plumb , as a short term fix .

I found out I know nothing about adjusting a dish mover . Initial adjustment har the dish going so far one direction it almost bound up . :-( No supprise .

I moved it some , but just a guess . What I am thinking is adjust it so when i swing it all the way east & take a measurement from the edge of the dish to the ground , this measurment will be the same when I swing it all the way west ? Assuming the ground is pretty level ( and it is ) ?

AMC 4 is within 1 to 2 degrees of due south . My next move is to set the dish so the horrizontal brace on the dish itself , is level . Then try to tweek it on the AMC 4 channel that has Bravo . I realize it will be scrambled , but I can look for the the color and broken up video . Sometimes these channels have sound , also .

At that point , I hope to try to tweek the feed horn , then the due south orientation of the whole dish . I did a rough due south alignment with a yard stick and a compas , afainst the dish mount . In the past this has gotten me with in 2 degrees of due south on a Ku dish .

Latter,
Wyr

Bought an inclinomitor / angle finder at Harbor Freight . Seemed the angle of the dish was not high enough . After struggling with more rusty bolts , I cranked up the elevation untill I picked up Bravo analog VC 2 on AMC 4 .

Finally gave up after dark . Not the best , but a definate improvement .

Picking up some borderline quality level NBC DVB-S on the Nexus-S card .

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Bought an inclinomitor / angle finder at Harbor Freight . Seemed the angle of the dish was not high enough . After struggling with more rusty bolts , I cranked up the elevation untill I picked up Bravo analog VC 2 on AMC 4 .
Finally gave up after dark . Not the best , but a definate improvement .
Picking up some borderline quality level NBC DVB-S on the Nexus-S card .
Wyr

Grab a can of PB Blaster, the stuff rocks it will make the bolts come lose like they was new, hope when you get the system running you will grab a channel a la carte or something to help with our numbers :) Good luck!

tdti1 said:
Grab a can of PB Blaster, the stuff rocks it will make the bolts come lose like they was new, hope when you get the system running you will grab a channel a la carte or something to help with our numbers :) Good luck!

Never heard of PB Blaster . Penitrating oil ?

Thanks ,
wyr

PB blaster ROCKS, its the best penetrant i have used in 20+ years of working on cars here in the "salt belt".

Congrats on getting a signal Wyr, not long and you will be cruising the belt ;-)

drhydro said:
PB blaster ROCKS, its the best penetrant i have used in 20+ years of working on cars here in the "salt belt".

Congrats on getting a signal Wyr, not long and you will be cruising the belt ;-)

Where do you buy it at ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

I purchase it at my local auto parts store, its fairly common here in the Northeast.

bryansr said:
The Link I posted sells it....

BryanSR

Oops , see it now . That is what happens when I stay up past my bed time . :-(

Thanks ,
Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts