Dammit Dish.............

I believe MLB.TV can provide the games on the internet, period. I noticed that the 'blackouts' in my area did not affect even the free preview. Looks like they are the only ones to provide baseball on the internet (at least that's how it shows on the schedule for the Rockies). I could be wrong on that though, I just noticed it when the Rockies played the Dodgers, so its possible I am assuming too much out of that particular series.

Last edited:
Another thing people forget is that not having your local RSN in HD 24/7, not only do you occassionally get JIP'd, you also miss out on a lot of other programs in HD. A lot of local sports specials, news, replays, classic games, pre and post game shows, and college sports are also in HD and many subs love watching these programs. Without your own local RSN in HD 24/7 they miss out on these programs.

If they cannot allocate CONUS bandwidth for these stations, why not put them on spot beam?

I believe MLB.TV can provide the games on the internet, period. I noticed that the 'blackouts' in my area did not affect even the free preview. I think they are the MLB for real, and therefore the only ones to provide baseball on the internet (at least that's how it shows on the schedule for the Rockies). I could be wrong on that though, I just noticed it when the Rockies played the Dodgers, so its possible I am assuming too much out of that particular series.
The poster stated that one can use the internet as another option to see your own local team or your own local RSN. I was pointing out that this is not possible as the internet feed is for out of market games only. Local games are blacked out. IOW, the internet is not an alternative

BTW, here is a current screenshot of MLB.TV on my computer. I am able to watch every single current game, both feeds, except for the Dodgers and Angels. If my provider did not carry the Dodgers or Angels, MLB.TV would not be an option for me

Attachments

• MLB.TV.jpg
    MLB.TV.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
If they cannot allocate CONUS bandwidth for these stations, why not put them on spot beam?

they would need to put them on multiple spot beams. Example is here in MN. FS North covers MN, ND, SD and Wisco as the base RSN. Iowa gets it in some parts but not all.
They would need it on probably 6 or 7 spotbeams and not all spotbeams cover the areas. Thats why some markets HD locals arent available yet

Another thing people forget is that not having your local RSN in HD 24/7, not only do you occassionally get JIP'd, you also miss out on a lot of other programs in HD. A lot of local sports specials, news, replays, classic games, pre and post game shows, and college sports are also in HD and many subs love watching these programs. Without your own local RSN in HD 24/7 they miss out on these programs.

Assuming, of course, that ALL of this is filmed in HD. So far, the only thing I have seen claiming 100% HD is MLBN, which is not an RSN. None of the RSNs claim 100% HD that I can see.

Think about it this way, if a sports net only airs sporting events, and only airs them in HD 100% of the time, I believe you would be able to argue the point legitimately. That being said, they do not only air sporting events, and they are not 100% HD all the time, regardless of what is being aired, so tying up the bandwidth 100% of the time (even when its infomercials and paid programming, as I have seen be present) makes no sense.
I wouldn't use that defense. There are plently of current HD-labeled channels that are showing very little if any HD content tying up that precious "HD bandwidth"....

Assuming, of course, that ALL of this is filmed in HD. So far, the only thing I have seen claiming 100% HD is MLBN, which is not an RSN. None of the RSNs claim 100% HD that I can see.
Most shows are in HD. I know the Dodgers specials, the pre and post game shows, sports news, and many of the national programs are in HD on my two local RSNs. It is not 100%, but how many stations are 100% HD? There is enough HD program to allocate it being in HD 24/7

I wouldn't use that defense. There are plently of current HD-labeled channels that are showing very little if any HD content tying up that precious "HD bandwidth"....

I agree and I already admitted as much.

BB had display TVs and even ESPN HD still uses up-conversion on programming for their HD channel [sometimes]

Again, a nationally broadcast channel available to all 14 million customers, IMHO, makes more sense to provide using available bandwidth then channels that a smaller portion of that number can view.

Most shows are in HD. I know the Dodgers specials, the pre and post game shows, sports news, and many of the national programs are in HD on my two local RSNs. It is not 100%, but how many stations are 100% HD? There is enough HD program to allocate it being in HD 24/7

My point, as I have pointed out time and time again, is that I gave the correct answer in my post (of which there are two portions to that answer), and everyone saying my post is wrong turn around and prove it to be true. Saying 'most' is not the same as saying 'all'. The words are not synonymous.

All that being said, I am still not saying it should stay that way, as I have also said before on this thread. I will also concede that anyone affected by games not airing in HD may not like the answer, but the answer is the answer all the same.

Here's to hoping that in the future, the answer changes so that everyone can enjoy the games in HD (when provided by the programmer) on DISH (without technical limitation) should they so choose. I am all for it.

Last edited:
I am one of "those subs" that would like to watch my teams in HD when ever they play. The Red Sox and Bruins are on the RSN (NESN) and of course there in lies the issue. Especially now that it is hockey post season the Sox will get sent to the alternate RSN channel and that isn't always HD and yes the Sox and Bruins are broadcast in HD every game even of Dish doesn't "turn on " NESN HD.
The OP's primary complaint was that the HD feed was not turned on until 6 min into the game. Home openers especially in baseball are imlortar to fans. In this case there was tribute to a long time sportscaster. Even if the RSNs aren't going to be shown in HD fulltime the least Dish can do is be sure the HD feed is turned on on time. I assume this is done by computer???
The HD feed for NESN was on for all of the opening day festivities for the Red Sox. There have been games that the HD feed was never turned on or turned on late.
In closing when folks sign up for a pay tv service I do not think that the average viewer would even think to ask if the local sports channel is in HD all the time. I found this forum when I was looking for information about a DVR that was acting up. I have learned a lot and I am thankful for that. I can honestly say that I didn't ask if NESN was in HD when we came back to Dish from cable and surprise it was only an SD feed at that time. It wasn't a deal breaker as the switch back to Dish was for overall programing and price, but it was a bit of a surprise.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Up-converted and playing on an 'HD' channel does not mean it is filmed in HD, and does not make it HD anymore then an up-converting DVD player makes a standard DVD become Bluray, or even HD. And yes, there are still SOME events on SOME sports networks (as I said, not ALL) that are not filmed in HD, and are not displayed as HD. I have seen this happen, even on D* systems recently, which means it is not bandwidth or allocation, but the actual network providing the programming. BB had display TVs and even ESPN HD (on D*) still uses up-conversion on programming for their HD channel. Its easy to discern it in the picture, even when the station AND the receiver do the up-conversion.

I will say that when sports are filmed in HD, in 720P, it looks good. Again, this was is not 100% of the time, and is likely event dependent.

EDIT- Even the 'Official Website' for ROOT does not say 100% HD, nor do any press releases, which is a huge marketing thing in this day and age (and a liability if specific performance is not adhered to). This would make the presumption that the channel(s) are not 100% HD all the time, rather then assuming they are. Even Starz does not claim 100% HD all the time on all of their channels.

The gist from this is if you want to see your favorite team in HD on a day-to-day basis, get a new provider.

My frustration is I live in Oklahoma and love to watch the OKC Thunder. 95% of their games are carried by FSN Oklahoma (which is HD everytime they broadcast a game). One night its on 441 then 450 then 474, etc. Sometimes NBA TV carries them the same night as FSN OK. NBA TV is 100% HD but gets blacked out due to the agreements with FSN. If your not going to provide it in HD (on the FSN alternates) and its available in HD on NBATV, ESPN, TNT, etc don't black it out!!!!! Also if you have bandwdith for every NBA game on the PPV side then why should I have to pay the big fee to see my local team in HD?? Even if I could get them on PPV HD I am sure it would be blacked out. Let's get rid of the excuses and just make it happen. Don't even get me started on more locals in HD. My DMA (Tulsa, OK) still only has the big 4 and all of the neighboring DMA's have PBS, CW, and or MNT.

My frustration is I live in Oklahoma and love to watch the OKC Thunder. 95% of their games are carried by FSN Oklahoma (which is HD everytime they broadcast a game). One night its on 441 then 450 then 474, etc. Sometimes NBA TV carries them the same night as FSN OK. NBA TV is 100% HD but gets blacked out due to the agreements with FSN. If your not going to provide it in HD (on the FSN alternates) and its available in HD on NBATV, ESPN, TNT, etc don't black it out!!!!! Also if you have bandwdith for every NBA game on the PPV side then why should I have to pay the big fee to see my local team in HD?? Even if I could get them on PPV HD I am sure it would be blacked out. Let's get rid of the excuses and just make it happen. Don't even get me started on more locals in HD. My DMA (Tulsa, OK) still only has the big 4 and all of the neighboring DMA's have PBS, CW, and or MNT.

PPV events are kind of funny. NBA League Pass and ESPN Full Court are PPV events. Those are independent companies (ESPN etc) providing the sports programming based on a contract and only being charged per subscriber. Those type of PPV events are great for out-of-market teams, but they are subject to blackouts for in-market teams. Getting a PPV package for in market teams is a bad idea, because they will likely be blacked out and only available via another method.

That brings us to when rights to a game are purchased by a local station (FOX for example), regional (Root Sports RM, etc), or even national broadcast (TNT), we have to abide by those as well. We do not decide what games are purchased and who purchases them. We have a legal obligation to follow the terms of our contracts for providing the channels to begin with. We cannot 'undo' a blackout for those reasons, and do not have a say in which areas can receive the game. We could lose the channel that bought the rights and be subject to a lawsuit for breach of contract, both by the channel and the association presiding over the game (NBA, MLB, etc).

I don't have any excuses, just reasons. Hopefully they are understandable.

The poster stated that one can use the internet as another option to see your own local team or your own local RSN. I was pointing out that this is not possible as the internet feed is for out of market games only. Local games are blacked out. IOW, the internet is not an alternative

BTW, here is a current screenshot of MLB.TV on my computer. I am able to watch every single current game, both feeds, except for the Dodgers and Angels. If my provider did not carry the Dodgers or Angels, MLB.TV would not be an option for me

I am in Denver, home of the Rockies. I was able to watch the Rockies on MLB.TV two days ago when the Root was blacked out, as well as the day before when it was not blacked out on Root. Again, I cannot say that it works the same for everyone, but according to MLB.TV I can watch all of the games for the rest of the month, home and away. If I watched baseball, in my case it seems as though I would not miss a game. All the games I could see list MLB.TV, some list Root. Must be different in your neck of the woods.

If we are talking about the RSN being viewable over the internet, I would have no idea because I have never tried it but I would assume you are correct and it would be blacked out there as well. When someone mentions the internet, I assume it is any method available there.

I am in Denver, home of the Rockies. I was able to watch the Rockies on MLB.TV two days ago when the Root was blacked out
If you are in Denver, Root Sports RM shouldnt be blacked out as that is your RSN.. ;)

Except if a local channel or national channel bought rights to the game, or its blacked out due to not selling out. RSNs can carry the event, but can be superseded by locals, just like nationals can purchase the event, but be superseded by regional providers and/or locals.

Official line (sorry for using it): "Our agreements with broadcasters require us to blackout some sporting events from time to time. These blackout rules are controlled by the leagues, sports associations, and networks that purchase the rights to the broadcasts. Often if a game is blacked out on one of DISH Network's channels, you may be able to view the game on another DISH Network or local broadcast channel."

Football is a big time when that happens around here, and I am not sure now that Root is around the kind of blackout restrictions we will see. The second Rockies/Dodgers game was blacked out on Root but the game was still showing it was aired on Root RM. Perhaps outside of the DMA someone with MSP was able to view it. That of course is speculation.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/blackouts
http://www.dishnetwork.com/supportsection/game-finder-tools

Interesting things there.

Last edited:
Sorry but tickets have NOTHING to do with blackouts unless you're talking the no fun league......Hell the Wolfies sold maybe 3000 tickets in a 20k seat building yet (sadly) wecould see them on FS North

You live in Denver
Your local RSN is Root sports and Altitude
If the game is on Root Sports you should not be blacked out...period.

Now there use to be an exception with some teams that had it on local TV in the local area and on the RSN otherwise. We were like that in Minneapolis. Sunday games were on My29 local Minneapolis station. The rest of the area got it on FS North. We had to watch it on My29 as it was blacked out in the Mpls DMA only on FS North. I know the Rockies had games on My20 but this year they are on Root only so the previous paragraph is a moot point now.

If ESPN grabs the game normally its still on the RSN for you to watch. You may be blacked out on ESPN but that it hit and miss
If its on ESPN Sunday night or Fox game of the week its no where else to be seen
This point is moot on Dish but if MLB Net grabs the feed you are blacked out on MLB Net. They force you to watch it on the RSN.

bottom line is you should not be blacked out on Root if you live in Denver. Thats your local RSN

Click the link on the blackouts. While rare, it happens. Rockies/Dodgers was not available on Root in my area two days ago, even though the guide showed it. Lots of calls and we still see Winpops with regards to RSN blackouts during some games. Got one today and yesterday as well, but not for Root.

Edit- Whoops! Today's was a game that was rained out.

Last edited:
so according to the "game finder" link you provided tomorrow I should be able to see most of the MLB games if I had Dish yet on Directv I KNOW I'll be blacked out of all games not on ESPN, ESPN2, MLB Net or FSN North in Minneapolis. See pic below. This is for 55402 zip

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 144

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)