Data Caps Are Likely Coming to Spectrum Customers Soon

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I phoned Spectrum yesterday, and I was told by the Tech that it was unlikely as Data Caps are so unpopular now. I told him that Verizon has no data caps. Time will tell. But we have more choices now. I doubt with cable TV struggling that Spectrum wants to lose more customers. They will, unless the cap is fairly high...Cox sits at 1.25 TB.

Reactions: John2021
I phoned Spectrum yesterday, and I was told by the Tech that it was unlikely as Data Caps are so unpopular now.
Technicians (or CSRs) typically have no clue what the higher-ups are planning. Asking them is usually a waste of at least two people's time. Marketing is who decides what is offered and what the terms are, not Engineering.

Spectrum tried to appeal their cap prohibition two years ago so I'd imagine it is still on their RADAR. Blogs like Cord Cutter's News (not my idea of an authority on such things) are buzzing this week with speculation about caps coming soon.

I phoned Spectrum yesterday, and I was told by the Tech that it was unlikely as Data Caps are so unpopular now. I told him that Verizon has no data caps. Time will tell. But we have more choices now. I doubt with cable TV struggling that Spectrum wants to lose more customers. They will, unless the cap is fairly high...Cox sits at 1.25 TB.
i'll agree with harshness about the csr's being clueless as to what's going on!!! we switched over to fiber for cheaper price and a 3 year price lock of 75.00 for gig service with no caps modem and router included in that price. better upload speeds than spectrum's!!! paying 125.00 for gig service in insanity. i would keep my eyes peeled because the customers find out what's going on before the reps!!! were looking for a new one and one of the main things were looking for is a fiber hookup!!! and spectrum don't care if you leave that's been said on here also...

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
After nearly 20 yrs of service and 8 months after they bored and ran fiber thru my neighborhood, Cox lit up the new fiber this week. Got upgrade to fiber to the home a couple days ago. Now I can hit the crappy Cox data cap even faster.
we would have to pay cox the 50.00 fee for unlimited data sorry i won't even pay 125 for gig service as were using around 7-8 TB a month!!!

Technicians (or CSRs) typically have no clue what the higher-ups are planning. Asking them is usually a waste of at least two people's time. Marketing is who decides what is offered and what the terms are, not Engineering.

Spectrum tried to appeal their cap prohibition two years ago so I'd imagine it is still on their RADAR. Blogs like Cord Cutter's News (not my idea of an authority on such things) are buzzing this week with speculation about caps coming soon.
If they go ahead, Spectrum better have a decent Cap the average person would not go over. Otherwise I am sure out here, Verizon will get a lot more business. It seems after cable is dying, I would think Spectrum and others would try to protect the subs they have for internet & phone. People are not going to be happy as Spectrum never has had a cap. It is almost like OTA TV to start charging....

i'll agree with harshness about the csr's being clueless as to what's going on!!! we switched over to fiber for cheaper price and a 3 year price lock of 75.00 for gig service with no caps modem and router included in that price. better upload speeds than spectrum's!!! paying 125.00 for gig service in insanity. i would keep my eyes peeled because the customers find out what's going on before the reps!!! were looking for a new one and one of the main things were looking for is a fiber hookup!!! and spectrum don't care if you leave that's been said on here also...
I just don't feel that a Cap is going to be popular with Spectrum. Unless it is high enough not to affect most people. I was told 1tb is high enough not to go over. I don't run any 4K. My son might, but the best I do is SD/HD.I have already called Verizon as I have unlimited there, so adding internet would be easy.

I just don't feel that a Cap is going to be popular with Spectrum.
Popularity of data caps with providers decidedly outweighs popularity with customers; they are in business to make as much money as their franchise agreements will allow. It is likely that Spectrum will print money by offering a no-cap alternative for more money or doing some sort of unjustified bundling requirement (like requiring a Spectrum-provided gateway as Comcast does).
I was told 1tb is high enough not to go over.
1TB is overkill for one person unless they like having their TV droning away in the background all waking hours (that's what radios are for). I usually rack up about 350GB/month by myself with a mixture of HD and UHD-1 content as well as my computer uses.

The people that are likely to notice is when there are other significant broadband uses (Zoom/Skype, gaming, torrents) in addition to TV content.

It is always good to be fully aware of what your options are and where you stand in terms of getting the best bang for the buck. Wireless has oh so many limitations even on their "unlimited" products and the Starlink cost marches steadily upward with every announcement.

(X) Doubt

Charter has too much fiber competition to be attempting this nonsense now.
Charter has a lot of tiny markets that don't have much competition in my state. Because cable is franchised rather than a state regulated monopoly like other utilities, they get stuck with whatever service areas they can negotiate.

(X) Doubt

Charter has too much fiber competition to be attempting this nonsense now.
charter has a monopoly in alot of places now!!! but with fiber and 5g home i would not attempt this BS now. hell they might even have to lower there rates as that's why people are leaving them also.. charters only good during the promo period.. and spectrum won't match it's competitors pricing and they don't give a sh*t if you leave and go else where!!! i don't see charter around in 10 years with how they operate!! i read an article that 77% of people plan to cancel spectrum once the deals are over and go elsewhere also!!!

Charter has a lot of tiny markets that don't have much competition in my state. Because cable is franchised rather than a state regulated monopoly like other utilities, they get stuck with whatever service areas they can negotiate.
fiber and 5G home is being deployed more and more

I just don't feel that a Cap is going to be popular with Spectrum. Unless it is high enough not to affect most people. I was told 1tb is high enough not to go over. I don't run any 4K. My son might, but the best I do is SD/HD.I have already called Verizon as I have unlimited there, so adding internet would be easy.
we left because of the cost per month is insane vs fiber. like i said we use between 6-7 TB a month for 3 computers no streaming services here but things like youtube can rack up the data. caps are just greed!!! i can get a 5 gig connection for 100 smackers a month vs charter. we game we don't do torrents

Last edited:
Popularity of data caps with providers decidedly outweighs popularity with customers; they are in business to make as much money as their franchise agreements will allow. It is likely that Spectrum will print money by offering a no-cap alternative for more money or doing some sort of unjustified bundling requirement (like requiring a Spectrum-provided gateway as Comcast does).

1TB is overkill for one person unless they like having their TV droning away in the background all waking hours (that's what radios are for). I usually rack up about 350GB/month by myself with a mixture of HD and UHD-1 content as well as my computer uses.

The people that are likely to notice is when there are other significant broadband uses (Zoom/Skype, gaming, torrents) in addition to TV content.

It is always good to be fully aware of what your options are and where you stand in terms of getting the best bang for the buck. Wireless has oh so many limitations even on their "unlimited" products and the Starlink cost marches steadily upward with every announcement.
starlink has caps now as well.. i thought starlink was supposed to be affordable but i agree everytime that musk runs his mouth it seems the cost is going up and up!!!

Reactions: AZ.
we would have to pay cox the 50.00 fee for unlimited data sorry i won't even pay 125 for gig service as were using around 7-8 TB a month!!!
Many people here do pay the extortion for unlimited data with Cox as they have no other choice. Windstream hasn't ran fiber thru my neighborhood yet, so 3Mbps DSL is all they offer and they only guarantee a speed of 1.5Mbps. They said 2 yrs ago they were going to rewire 90% of the City with fiber. So far I'm not in that 90% and I've seen Cox boring and laying more fiber in the last year than I've seen windstream do. A few areas on the edge of the City limts can get BTC or ATT fiber and all the newer construction from the last 10yrs also has Windstream fiber. Those are the only areas that Cox drops the data cap.

I tried T-Mobile for a year. Flaky and inconsistent was all I can say about it. Uploads were terrible and it would lock up the modem anytime it rained or it tried to use the N41 towers in the area. It was usable if it stayed on the n71/b66 towers.

Here, we have Verizon at 250-300 down. So Spectrum does have competition. Adding internet from Verizon would cost me a lot less. Time will tell.

Here, we have Verizon at 250-300 down. So Spectrum does have competition. Adding internet from Verizon would cost me a lot less. Time will tell.
What Verizon claims that they offer comes with some fairly concerning disclaimers as is the case with most ISPs but perhaps more likely to result in an actual impact. The bits about "peak hours" and "may be reduced" can be a real issue on top of the cost of "unlimited" service.

I never subscribed to broadband in Lincoln City but most of my neighbors there are using Spectrum rather than a wireless alternative.

What Verizon claims that they offer comes with some fairly concerning disclaimers as is the case with most ISPs but perhaps more likely to result in an actual impact. The bits about "peak hours" and "may be reduced" can be a real issue on top of the cost of "unlimited" service.

I never subscribed to broadband in Lincoln City but most of my neighbors there are using Spectrum rather than a wireless alternative.
I like near Warrenton and our only choice is Spectrum, other than Verizon, as there is no DSL out here. I will see how it goes. If the limit is high enough not to affect the average user, I am fine with that. I have read 1tb is the norm by many of the carriers. That should be fine.