Daylight Savings: Attention to timers! Please read.

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
Daylight savings will occur on April 4, 2004. Our clocks will be "springing" forward.

Unfortunately, the way Dish does their on-screen interactive guide, all information that is shown on the guide after 2 AM on April 4th is off by 1 hour.

That means, for all timers you've set through the guide that occur anytime after 2 AM on April 4, will not be recording properly. (It would start recording 1 hour early, and finish one hour early.)

To avoid missing timers:

1. Do not set programs to record (that air after April 4) through the guide until after April 4th.

2. Set programs to record through the guide, then manually edit them to to start an hour later, and finish an hour later.

Remember, this is only for programs that will air after 2 AM on April 4th. If you have weekly, daily or other reoccuring timers that were set through the guide before April 4th, then they'll be fine.

Last time the hour changed, many ppl were upset their timers misfired. Hope this helps to reduce that this time around.

Yes, this WILL a problem.

Go forward in your guide to say April 4th or 5th. Now find a show you know will be on at a specific time. You will notice that in the guide, it'll say it starts an hour earlier than it's actually going to.

The reason for this is because the time should switch at 2am on April 4th, but the Dish guide isn't capable of this. So their guide still reads 1AM, 1:30AM, 2AM, when it should really read 1AM, 1:30AM, 3AM. The result is that all listing after April 4th at 2AM are wrong by 1 hour.

Hope this helps. The problem is only fixed on April 4th, when the old time completely disappears from the guide. Try checking an online site like tvguide.com or titantv.com and compare the listings.

awax said:
This wouldn't be a problem if E* would get off their asses and implement namebased recording already.

Therein lies the problem. Namebased recording is a licensed product, TIVO is it, and Dish has no rights to that technology because DirecTV has an exclusive on it.

Bobby said:
Therein lies the problem. Namebased recording is a licensed product, TIVO is it, and Dish has no rights to that technology because DirecTV has an exclusive on it.
The Ultimate TV with Directv also had named based recording and I believe some other do too. Dis the old Dishplayers have it?

I seem to remember my recordings moving if they changed nights, but I could be wrong... I don't think extended (super-sized) programs worked though.

Lots of software has name-based recording besides Tivo. Replay and SnapStream both have it.

There's what i believe is a simple solution for this problem. If Dish introduced a "show" in the guide from 2 am to 3 am on April 4th that said "Time Adjustment" then all the other times for shows wouldn't show an hour early.

The problem is there's a 2am in the guide on April 4th, when there shouldn't be.

Edit: fixed mistakes

AppliedAggression said:
Lots of software has name-based recording besides Tivo. Replay and SnapStream both have it.

There's what i believe is a simple solution for this problem. If Dish interested a "show" in the timer from 2 am to 3 am on April 4th that said "Time Adjustment" then all the other times for shows wouldn't show an hour early.

The problem is there's a 2am in the guide on April 4th, when there shouldn't be.
Very good point.

Bobby said:
One of the many urban legends acquired from sites like these. It has nothing to do with licensing, cable company PVR/DVRs can do name based. Charlie has stated name based recording is coming by the end of summer.

AppliedAggression said:

There's what i believe is a simple solution for this problem. If Dish introduced a "show" in the guide from 2 am to 3 am on April 4th that said "Time Adjustment" then all the other times for shows wouldn't show an hour early.

Edit: fixed mistakes

So how would they fix the problem on the opposite end, when we go back to standard time in October?

Good point. Although not completely accurate, they'd be able to put the 2am programming at 2am, then the 2nd 2 am they're skip, then put the correct listings from there on.

I prefer 1 hour of programming not showing up til the time changes, rather than having the whole guide being wrong until daylight savings.

FWIW, all of the timers on my 721 updated themselves automatically. I have already had one timer set for 8AM - 9:30AM this morning that fired and recorded just the way it was supposed to.

On the other hand that DIDN'T happen with my 508. I had set a timer several days ago for a movie on AMC today. When I got up this morning and checked it it was set one hour early. I cancelled the timer and set it again. All my weekly timers were unaffected though. What a pain.

I lost two timers on my 811 overnight. I'm starting to think it's a P.O.S. Sure it tunes and displays a very good picture, but the functionality (the guide) is almost useless.

dlsnyder said:
On the other hand that DIDN'T happen with my 508. I had set a timer several days ago for a movie on AMC today. When I got up this morning and checked it it was set one hour early. I cancelled the timer and set it again. All my weekly timers were unaffected though. What a pain.
I had an auto-tune that I set up yesterday for today. It too fired an hour early, but like you, my weeklies seem to be okay...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)