Dayton WHIO 7 Transmission Problems

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
For the last 3 days I tried rescanning and antenna adjustments to get Dayton WHIO.
Unfortunately WHIO kept their viewers in the dark until recently. I finally found a news item which I have pasted below.

Dear WHIO-TV viewers,

We wanted to update you on the progress of repairs to our TV transmission tower so we can return to a strong signal.

Workers have climbed the 1000 foot tower to repair a leak discovered this week. They are climbing the tower again today to repair additional damage discovered, but can only ascend as weather permits them to do so safely.

Our goal is to have this work completed as quickly as possible--our hope is that is tomorrow.

For those who watch us over the air, if you have tried rescanning, you will need to rescan after our signal is restored. We will notify you online, on social media, on radio and on air when that occurs.

For those of you who watch WHIO-TV via Dish or DirectTV, these services use our over-the-air signal for transmission, and this is why you can't see us there.

Spectrum and AT&T uses our fiber signal for transmission, so those viewers are not affected.

Please know you can watch our live newscasts anytime on on our free WHIO-TV streaming app for Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV, our free mobile WHIO news app, as well as whio.com.

More on HOW TO WATCH here.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We know you depend on us and we are working as quickly and safely as possible to restore our signal to full strength.

Thank you for your viewership and your patience.

Sincerely,

Caryn Golden

WHIO-TV

News Director

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

For the last 3 days I tried rescanning and antenna adjustments to get Dayton WHIO.
Unfortunately WHIO kept their viewers in the dark until recently. I finally found a news item which I have pasted below.

Dear WHIO-TV viewers,

We wanted to update you on the progress of repairs to our TV transmission tower so we can return to a strong signal.

Workers have climbed the 1000 foot tower to repair a leak discovered this week. They are climbing the tower again today to repair additional damage discovered, but can only ascend as weather permits them to do so safely.

Our goal is to have this work completed as quickly as possible--our hope is that is tomorrow.

For those who watch us over the air, if you have tried rescanning, you will need to rescan after our signal is restored. We will notify you online, on social media, on radio and on air when that occurs.

For those of you who watch WHIO-TV via Dish or DirectTV, these services use our over-the-air signal for transmission, and this is why you can't see us there.

Spectrum and AT&T uses our fiber signal for transmission, so those viewers are not affected.

Please know you can watch our live newscasts anytime on on our free WHIO-TV streaming app for Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV, our free mobile WHIO news app, as well as whio.com.

More on HOW TO WATCH here.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We know you depend on us and we are working as quickly and safely as possible to restore our signal to full strength.

Thank you for your viewership and your patience.

Sincerely,

Caryn Golden

WHIO-TV

News Director

They better hurry up before that cold front comes thru.

Just pointing out that MVPDs could rely on OTA. No OTA? MVPDs lose signal too.

Don't feel like searching but it's been said repeatedly on this website that MVPDs all get their feeds over fiber, so OTA can go away. Not always the case.

ETA: WHIO was supposed to have their repack completed by Oct. 18. I wonder what caused their delay.

I was also surprised to learn that both Dish and Direct TV use the OTA signal for their satellite signal.
One of the reasons I use CBS WHIO channel 7 from Dayton when I already have CBS WBNS 10 from Columbus is Dayton will sometimes show the Bengals football while Columbus shows the Browns football. Since this happened 2 weeks after the repack I was afraid that the new frequency was the problem. Fortunately WHIO finally put out a news bulletin.

Last edited:
It looks like the tower repair is going to take longer than they originally projected.

Climbers have been working for days on the tower, which is almost 1,000 feet in the air – the equivalent of a 10-story building. In addition to the dangerous conditions, rain and ice have stymied progress. On Friday, the tower crew discovered more extensive damage than previously thought, which will require more time to repair.

https://www.whio.com/rf/image_lowres/Pub/p10/WHIO/2019/11/05/Images/tower replacement.jpg

It looks like the tower repair is going to take longer than they originally projected.

Climbers have been working for days on the tower, which is almost 1,000 feet in the air – the equivalent of a 10-story building. In addition to the dangerous conditions, rain and ice have stymied progress. On Friday, the tower crew discovered more extensive damage than previously thought, which will require more time to repair.

https://www.whio.com/rf/image_lowres/Pub/p10/WHIO/2019/11/05/Images/tower replacement.jpg

I think 1000ft would be more like a 100 story building. :)

The tallest building I've had the 'pleasure' of working on was the roof of a 25 story office building. That was plenty high for me. :eeek

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's definitely been a crazy ride on the repairs for this. Our reports are showing that the channel has been reestablished and you should now be able to view this channel! -Jason. I

Last edited:
If Dish has the channel back they must now be using fiber to get the signal for WHIO because the OTA transmission is still down. I don’t know for sure since my Plain City address gets Columbus locals from Dish satellite 129.

OK. So they substituted CBS Cleveland for CBS Dayton. That will allow you to get all of the network programming. You just won’t get your local news, etc.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Why would they use Cleveland over Cincinnati? Cincinnati is only 50 miles away. Columbus is closer also. Or is the Cleveland station owned by the same company as WHIO?

BTW, used to watch Uncle Orrie on WHIO growing up in Cincy. We could get all the Dayton stations with a rooftop antenna.

OK. So they substituted CBS Cleveland for CBS Dayton. That will allow you to get all of the network programming. You just won’t get your local news, etc.

My sister lives in Cridersville (near Lima) and use TSC cable and have had WHIO on the whole time since you reported it. So they must be using fiber also.

Why would they use Cleveland over Cincinnati? Cincinnati is only 50 miles away. Columbus is closer also. Or is the Cleveland station owned by the same company as WHIO?.

Dish needed to get permission from WHIO to substitute an out of market CBS. The WHIO news bulletin said the following:

Thanks to a partnership with the Dish network, WHIO and Dish have agreed to broadcast WOIO CBS out of Cleveland so that Dish viewers will have access to CBS content and live sports while we continue to work on our local over-the-air signal. Those customers will get all WOIO programming, including Cleveland news, until we can restore our signal.

The WHIO news bulletin also said that Direct TV is using a New York CBS Affliate.

Dish, DirecTV customers can now get CBS programming on WHIO
Published: Saturday, November 09, 2019 @ 2:58 PM
By: Breaking News Staff
— As we continue to work on WHIO-TV's over the air signal, we have reached an agreement with DirecTV and Dish to provide CBS programming in the interim.

The Alabama vs. LSU game is included in that programming.

Dish customers are receiving WOIO out of Cleveland. DirecTV customers will be getting the CBS feed from New York.

If Dish has the channel back they must now be using fiber to get the signal for WHIO because the OTA transmission is still down.
Fiber isn't necessarily as easy as throwing a switch. You've got to have the fiber connectivity between the station and the LiL pickup location. If they would have had that, I would have thought they'd switch to fiber long ago.

I have Dish but do not subscribe to locals. WHIO has been down for me for four days and they said it could be a few more.

Hey DISH, how about giving us Dayton, Ohio non local subscribers a free preview?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)