DBS3500 or FS5900?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mozillafilefix

Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hello again, all. During my quest for a sub $100 receiver, I was able to get two possible deals as below:
1) A new DMS International/Traxis DBS3500 with blind scan but no USALS.
2) A open-box Fortec Star FS5900 with USALS but no blind scan.

Currently I have a used stationary dish. But I am seriously considering purchasing a new motorized dish. And I need to purchase at least one LNBs. Both receivers were asked for under $100 (incl. shipping and handling) and DBS3500 is $10 more expensive than FS5900. But I can save a few $ by combined shipping if I also purchase the LNB(s) from the same dealer that sells DBS3500.

DBS3500's blind scan function seems to be charming, especially for me as a newbie, but I am worrying about complicated setup with the motorized dish without USALS. FS5900 offers the convenience on the flip side (easy motorized dish setup but no blind scan) and I have a little hesitation buying open-box item due to warranty consideration -- it is sold by a very reliable vendor anyway.

So I am really having difficulty deciding which receiver to have. Any suggestions based on your experiences -- which option, blind scan or USALS, worth a higher priority with the limited budget? Which receiver gives more bangs to the money? -- Better still, any other suggestions on a sub $100 receiver with both blind scan and USALS?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
The Traxis DBS3500 DOES have USALS and blind scan... I have 2 of them. I don't know anything about the Fortec Star FS5900, but the Traxis 3500 is a very good receiver.

Thanks John and Gary, for your swift responses. I was reading its specs here and I did not see any wording about USALS. It's good to know it does have USALS!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)