De La Hoya Interview: Protected SPAM on 622

They give you a choice about whether or not to receive software downloads (which we know is not always true but that's another story) but they won't give you a choice about receiving their SPAM.:mad:

Why did they put this in our normal DVR recording area and not in the TV Entertainment area, where they have put crap like this since L3.63 (you know, the SD crap that most of us don't ever watch!).
Because they know it would get seen by 1% of their customers vs a much, much higher percentage from where they did put it ! ;)

Oddly, I still haven't rec'd it (unless my wife saw it and deleted it). Our recordings are sorted by date, so where does this end up ??

I actually tried to watch it. Got into it and saw how stupid Del La Hoya is and stopped it then deleted it.

Who cares really. It didn't take up that much space.

I know the local cable station's DVR (and digital box) has stupid banner ads that pop up when you're using it. I'd rather see DISH do this than any other forced advertisement.

Did any other DVRs get this? i too wasa bit surprised to see it on that partition but as has been pointed out they have the rightt o fo it.

My opinion, they should only download this sort of thing to "their" partition not "mine". The problem of course is they have no way of forcing me to go there and see it.

I'm really surprised they haven't changed the software so the first press of DVR button would go straight to "TV Entertainment" and put "My Recordings" and "Movies and More" buttons there. That way anything they download to "their" area, you are forced to see that it's there every time you push the DVR button.

Incidentally, I still have two protected recordings "Save on your DISH Network bill" (the infamous "Club Dish" promo) and "DVR Made Easy" that came down automatically the first day my ViP622 was activated. Not everything they send down is necessarily spam. (OK, the first one is but I kept it 'cause it's funny)

Also incidentally, "Protected" means nothing if you've never bothered to setup locks on your receiver.

I don't have a problem with the three minutes of recording time, but I do think it's wrong for E* to schedule a timer to record this for us. I can see the event in the schedule.

I personally don't schedule any recordings at 4:20 am, and I'm not real close to the timer limits, but for those that do and are, I can see this as a potential issue if E* decides to step up this practice.....

My opinion, they should only download this sort of thing to "their" partition not "mine". The problem of course is they have no way of forcing me to go there and see it.
Since the majority of their customers lease their 622s, the way they see it, they did download the video to "their" partition. :D
I'm really surprised they haven't changed the software so the first press of DVR button would go straight to "TV Entertainment" and put "My Recordings" and "Movies and More" buttons there. That way anything they download to "their" area, you are forced to see that it's there every time you push the DVR button.
Great ! Thanks a lot for giving them the idea !! :eek:

So that's what it was! I actually thought maybe my neighbors uhf remote was messing me up. :)

Thanks for that waste of 30 seconds of my life, E*.

I deleted mine without watching.

Dish needs to realize this sort of thing just annoys the subscribers. It is not seen as a valued service by most.

Boxing is such an idiotic "sport" anyway -- two humans trying to beat the crap out of each other with their hands.

They might as well show cock fights.

Boxing is such an idiotic "sport" anyway -- two humans trying to beat the crap out of each other with their hands.
To each their own. I'm sure plenty of people think something you like or enjoy is "idiotic" as well. Mind you, I could care less about boxing, though I have no trouble watching it. Will I pay to go to a live fight ?? Nope.... Will I order a PPV fight ?? Nope.... Fact is, boxing makes money and people do order PPVs of fights. Dish gets a cut of that so they're not going to stop broadcasting them.

Back to the download, my wife deleted it. She said it was only a minute long and she figured the kids mistakenly recorded something.

..Dish needs to realize this sort of thing just annoys the subscribers. It is not seen as a valued service by most....
Exactly!

If Dish is going to put SPAM in "My Recordings" then they need to change the name to...
"DISH SPAM and My Recordings" (if there is any space left) :)

Talon Dancer

Interesting how easy it is to upset some people.

Just a 3 minute promo for an upcoming PPV event and they waste hours fussing about it.

I probably would not have known about the fight without the promo. I will not watch it, I deleted the ad. NO SWEAT.

Well, piss'n in my yard is pretty harmless too, but you can bet I'd get pretty mad about that also.

Stuff that is forced to record from Dish should go onto their partition. Thats what its there for. Its just an easy way to get more exposure to dump it into our area.

I wonder how long it will be before we are forced to watch a 2 minute "Dish Featured Ad" every time we turn on the DVR. Heck, its already happened to DVDs.

OFF TOPIC:
Also incidentally, "Protected" means nothing if you've never bothered to setup locks on your receiver.

Is this accurate?

I thought if you locked an event and ran out of space....that the protected items wouldn't get deleted.

Am I wrong?

I saw it. Didnt want to watch it. Deleted it. Done.

As for spam... if its limited to something like this only then its ok. Just hit delete and say 'see ya'. But I recently stayed with friends who have Comcast and their channel guide screen has that annoying large ad banner at the bottom that cannot be removed. Now that is spam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts