Deacivated R15 that sill works!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
A few months ago I deactivated my R15 and reactivated my old TiVo (for obvious reasons), after hearing of the recent upgrade (30 second slip, etc.) I decided to reactivate it and try it out again, so I plugged in my R15 and hooked it up and when it started up it already had service (everything it still had all the channels I subscribe to and the DVR service was active) I thought this was strange but then I realized I have probably been paying for the extra receiver and just didn't notice it. So I pulled out my bill and its not there, it didn't seem right that I didn't even have to call in and activate it...this has happened once before though I gave away an old TiVo and the person I gave it to had my service! at their house, I called directv to fix the problem and activate the receiver for their account and Directv gave me no problem, I don't know it just doesnt make sense.

P.S. The TiVo that I gave to my friend was given away WITH the card, and the continue to use it with the card I gave them to this day, maybe that has something to do with it, but either way the receiver should not have been working since it had been deactivated for almost a year

Last edited:
Give it some time - unless the CSR screwed something up on their end, it'll shut down eventually after you have left it hooked up for awhile...

It still works, oh well it not a big deal, since im not using the one it replaced...and on top of that ill be switching to Dish on Tuesday.

What you're describing is one of the perks of being a tech for an HSP. Whenever we go and remove an IRD from a customers house, unless we're swapping out for a refurbished unit, we take the IRD and the access card. Before we call DTV to deactivate the existing IRD, we unplug the SAT In line. So, DTV thinks it is deactivated, but the signal never gets to the box. So, free PPV for a about a week or so and then they send some kind of theft countermeasure signal. It's nice while it lasts though.

bradcny said:
What you're describing is one of the perks of being a tech for an HSP. Whenever we go and remove an IRD from a customers house, unless we're swapping out for a refurbished unit, we take the IRD and the access card. Before we call DTV to deactivate the existing IRD, we unplug the SAT In line. So, DTV thinks it is deactivated, but the signal never gets to the box. So, free PPV for a about a week or so and then they send some kind of theft countermeasure signal. It's nice while it lasts though.

the MSP techs do the same things. lol

HSP= Home Service Provider

MSP- Master Service Provider

ive worked at both, one is no better or worse than the other. both are sbca certified, both do installs, up-grades and service calls.

bradcny said:

:D You mean a Signal Integrity Sweep.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)