Deactivated HR21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

george99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
I just had one of my HR21's deactivated because I replaced it with a C41 so that it could fit behind my TV.
However, the HR21 has some recordings on it that I still want. I am still able to watch them with the HR21, it works, but there is just no more live TV.
Other than playing back and recording the shows elsewhere, is there any way that I can save these recordings? Also, the recordings are done on an external hard drive that was plugged in to the HR21. I know that if I plug that hard drive into another one of my DVRs, it will be formatted.

And do it fast. The recordings won't be accessible for much longer.

Hook up the box to a VCR or DVD-Recorder...

Good plan. Or he can capture them to his PC with something like a Hauppauge 1212 or an AVerMedia AVerTV USB HD DVR (that's the name on the box it came in). I was using the Hauppauge, then starting having some issues with that brand and recently picked up the AVerMedia box to capture RGB composite stuff to my PC. So far so good.

Good plan. Or he can capture them to his PC with something like a Hauppauge 1212 or an AVerMedia AVerTV USB HD DVR (that's the name on the box it came in). I was using the Hauppauge, then starting having some issues with that brand and recently picked up the AVerMedia box to capture RGB composite stuff to my PC. So far so good.

Ya, I have a KWorld. http://us.kworld-global.com/main/prod_in.aspx?mnuid=1306&modid=10&pcid=71&ifid=16&prodid=89

I've ripped a few rare VHS's to MPEG2 then to DVD with it.

However, the HR21 has some recordings on it that I still want. I am still able to watch them with the HR21, it works, but there is just no more live TV.
Other than playing back and recording the shows elsewhere, is there any way that I can save these recordings? Also, the recordings are done on an external hard drive that was plugged in to the HR21.

Have you disconnected the coax from the HR21 yet? (I hope so...) As long as you did this BEFORE you had it shut off, you should be able to play your recordings for quite awhile. If you do some searching on this topic, you'll find others (like me) have old HR2x DVR's that have been shut off for quite some time, but continue to play recordings just fine. (both my HR20's have been shut down for well over a year, but I'm still playing back old recordings - EXCEPT for a few that I recorded OTA; those all come up as "not authorized"...)

Have you disconnected the coax from the HR21 yet? (I hope so...) As long as you did this BEFORE you had it shut off, you should be able to play your recordings for quite awhile. If you do some searching on this topic, you'll find others (like me) have old HR2x DVR's that have been shut off for quite some time, but continue to play recordings just fine. (both my HR20's have been shut down for well over a year, but I'm still playing back old recordings - EXCEPT for a few that I recorded OTA; those all come up as "not authorized"...)

Well, one way to find out tonight when I get home.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)