dead local = color bars

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
Just out of curiosity, is it E* putting the color bars test pattern in place of a local when it goes dead, or is it the local source that's feeding E*? It has a black horizontal text bar across them reading the call letters, "WKEF-TV". I was watching the station limp along for about 5 minutes before it completely went off air. I verified with OTA, the weakening interference patterns were the same with my 522 (after its 5-or-so second delay due to the latency from the impressive retransmission path). Then the OTA signal went out entirely, and through the dish I got the color bars. While it was weakening, the color bars would flash briefly. I also happened to be talking on the phone with someone that has cable, and the station was just fine there. Apparently their cable feed is fine.

I'm thinking it's Dish Network putting the color bars pattern there. Anyone else had experience with a dead local channel (and not from lousy 105 reception)?

And my apologies if this post bored the hell out of most of you, I'm just interested in this kind of thing, how it's all connected and works, etc. :eek:

The Color Bars come from Echostar equiptment at the POP in the local market. When they loose the local signal the color bars come up automatically.

Hey......im in Enon (between spfld/dayton) and all of my locals just went to crap. I saw the wkef too- now they are hit and miss. Are your locals still down (every once and a while they'll pop up, but if i change the channel- good bye molly). First time that this has happened!?

DanB33 said:
The Color Bars come from Echostar equiptment at the POP in the local market. When they loose the local signal the color bars come up automatically.
That's cool, I should have guessed E* would have some equipment sitting over here for their feed. It's over fibre, right (since you called it a POP, anyway :))? And would it be just one location here, for all stations? See, I warned you I was interested in this stuff.
jenkinswoody said:
Hey......im in Enon (between spfld/dayton) and all of my locals just went to crap. I saw the wkef too- now they are hit and miss. Are your locals still down (every once and a while they'll pop up, but if i change the channel- good bye molly). First time that this has happened!?
Hi neighbor! :D All the way over here in Kettering, I'm just seeing WKEF as being out (still, as of 9:50pm). My other locals are fine. We really shouldn't be seeing different results... :confused: BTW, user 'hall' is a Daytonian too. ;)

TuxCoder said:
Hi neighbor! :D All the way over here in Kettering, I'm just seeing WKEF as being out (still, as of 9:50pm). My other locals are fine. We really shouldn't be seeing different results... :confused: BTW, user 'hall' is a Daytonian too. ;)

I had a weak signal to begin with (never lost it though). Maybe the wind as of late moved it? I don't know. Guess I'll have to check tomorrow :no

Nice to meet you though....

TuxCoder said:
That's cool, I should have guessed E* would have some equipment sitting over here for their feed. It's over fibre, right (since you called it a POP, anyway :))? And would it be just one location here, for all stations? See, I warned you I was interested in this stuff.

POP is Point of Presents. the place where the local signals are picked up. They are then sent to Cheyenne via Fiber.

DanB33 said:
TuxCoder said:

POP is Point of Presents. the place where the local signals are picked up. They are then sent to Cheyenne via Fiber.

It's Point of Presence, a present is something you get for your birthday. Presents are what you get at Christmas... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts