Dead R15

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hubcap1324

Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Just curious as if any of you had your R15 die on you. Yesterday mine was acting strange, like being extremely unresponsive to the remote commands or even the buttons on the unit. It would take 30 seconds for it to change channels, etc etc. I reset the unit and it was fine for the rest of the evening. My wife turned the unit off before going to bed, then this morning the unit seemed dead, would not power up at all. I reset it and it gave me the Starting receiver message, wait a few more seconds, etc....then reboots itself, starting receiver message again, reboots itself again, and continues this loop 4 or 5 times. Then when it gives up I guess, the record button lights up by itself and the unit is totally unrespnsive. I can reset it again to the same result.

Called DTV and a new unit is on the way.....

Mine died yesterday. It constantly reboots. It gets as far as "Acquiring Satellite Signal" and then it reboots. I think it has a bad tuner because it will stay on that screen if I don't have the satellite feed hooked up. I can pull up the satellite signal strength screen without the feeds connected, and when I hook both feeds up only the 2nd tuner shows any signal.

They are sending me a new one to swap out with this one. They said it takes about 3 days for me to get the new one. They didn't need the receipt and they went by when I activiated it to verify it was still under waranty. The 2nd level tech. support said he didn't know when a new update would be coming out but did mention that it would have the OnDemand when it did.

I have an R10, an UtlimateTV and a R15. The DirecTV tech. guy ask me which one I like the best. I told him that I like the R15 the least out of the three. I then proceeded to hook the UltimateTV back up after I got off the phone. I had it inactive since I got the R15. I must say that I like the UltimateTV so much better right now but it's too bad that it costs me $10 more a month extra.

Yeah, the tech I spoke to said that there have been some issues with the 15...like that is a news flash. She said she had one and had no issues. I actually kind of like my R15 as it has never give me problems like others have spoken about. I was also told 3 days for delivery... oh well. Just aggravated at all of the programs I had saved are now gone....

Good luck guys. D* sent me 4 refurbished R-10's before sending me a new R15 replacement when mine took a sh*t.

Upgrade Lately? said:
Good luck guys. D* sent me 4 refurbished R-10's before sending me a new R15 replacement when mine took a sh*t.

You kept sending the R10'2 back until you got an R15???

I am thinking that an R10 might not be so bad. What you lose in storage, you gain in stability.... I will let you know what I get...

hubcap1324 said:
You kept sending the R10'2 back until you got an R15???

I am thinking that an R10 might not be so bad. What you lose in storage, you gain in stability.... I will let you know what I get...

Thats correct. I would call them and tell them they sent the wrong one again. I would ship back the R10, two days later another one would show up! The fifth time they finally sent me a brand new R-15. Then two days later another R-10 shows up at my doorstep :confused: So I returned that one. They never asked for the original R-15 back.! When I get some free time I will remove the hard drive and start hacking away.

you actually had a R-10 and returned it?? there are people on here that would die to be in your position,

my late dad had a saying about some people trading a race horse for a jackass...

I got my replacement today and it is a R15. It shows manufacturer's date of Nov. 2005. It's downloading an update right now.

Anyways, it came with the remote and all the video cables. The documentation doesn't say I have to return the remote or the video cables that came with it. Does anyone know if I'll get charged for them if I keep them and just send the bad R15 box back? I had to be chincy but I need the extra set of cables for my setup.

edjrwinnt said:
I got my replacement today and it is a R15. It shows manufacturer's date of Nov. 2005. It's downloading an update right now.

Anyways, it came with the remote and all the video cables. The documentation doesn't say I have to return the remote or the video cables that came with it. Does anyone know if I'll get charged for them if I keep them and just send the bad R15 box back? I had to be chincy but I need the extra set of cables for my setup.
You won't. I have everything from my first R15, except the R15. My second R15 I have everything from ot including the R15. I'm running an R10, and DirecTV let me keep the R15.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts