Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

BINGO!

In fact someone could buy a Dish Network receiver point it to 119 and only subscribe to Distant Networks.

Exactamondo. That is really what will happen. You pay an independant provider (NPS) for programming available thru your receiver. If you wish you many also get Dishnetwork programming. Sounds like the Sky Angel arrangement to me. I have to believe Sky Angel could do this very thing, as Scott as pointed out. I would add Dishnetwork still is punished in that they do not get any revenue from these subscribers. They get the lease for the transponders, but not from the sales. Again, as Scott pointed out, we could get only their programming if desired. Or saying it another way - I could re-activate my older receiver, and just get the NPS programming, say for my downstairs room. (I might do just that)

Last edited:
Well congratulations, this deal with NPS may actually put NPS' distant networks at risk.

Think about it. The only reason why a transponder is being leased is to provide distant networks. That goes 100 percent against the injunction.

This will be reviewed by the Court tomorrow and will be dealt with immediately.

A PORTION of the space will be used for this. NPS may not have informed E* until after leasing what they intended to do with the space. ;) It's perfectly legal Greg, this is just like USSB/Directv and those two were not affiliated.

Agreed this is no different that DirecTV giving me all of he NY and LA stations that I am going to loose from Dish.

I legaly qualfied for 2 and they gave me all 4. I am sure the NPS is going to do the same thing.

My question is why are they switching to Atlanta and San Francisco. Why cant we keep the New York and Los Angeles stations we have now?

Is it perhaps an O and O issue or a way to get around FOX buy not broadcasting there O and O feed?

Bob

And again once this is all faught out in cort the legislation in the senate will be passed and will be the new law making all of this a mute point anyways.

Not for those of us who Dish offers local channels to :( This is a huge development for people like myself who the senate bill really wouldn't do a lot of good for.

Hmm. Moskowitz states the agreement was to provide distant networks to Dish Network subscribers. Sounds exactly like a violation of the injunction to me.
I'll help you deconstruct his sentences:

Given NPS’s competencies, including but not limited to knowledge of the distant network channel qualification process, today we reached an agreement to lease a transponder to NPS.
This is simply an agreement between Dish and NPS for transponder space. If NPS wanted to broadcast PBS or TNT or HBO, are you suggesting they're not allowed to do so ?? It just so happens that NPS will be broadcasting the east and west coast networks.

They have informed us they intend to use a portion of the capacity on that transponder to offer distant network channels to consumers, including but not limited to DISH Network customers.
Anyone can call NPS in the next few days and order these same channels.

Granted, it ain't coincidence. Wait 'til the judge hears that you need Dish Network equipment to receive this new offering !! How convenient !

Ok, I have to add this - Of course we are speculating as to the legality. But say I was not nor never was a subscriber to Dish. I see the NPS website, buy a dish receiver off Ebay, and get the distants from NPS. How is that at all going against the court order? The fact that I may then decide to buy other services from Dish should make no difference. I'm begining to feel a little better about this working. But we never know how a court will rule, I'll give you that.

On another note. Are we sure the judge is upset with Dish? When he delayed the final verdict we thought he was not going to proceed with it. Could it be he felt like some here said it was - he had no other option? Could he have wanted to avoid such a drastic decision? Could he rule this does not go against the Court Order and tell the plaintiffs to go away now??

Last edited:
hall said:
This is simply an agreement between Dish and NPS for transponder space. If NPS wanted to broadcast PBS or TNT or HBO, are you suggesting they're not allowed to do so ??
Dish Network would not have given space to another company to provide PBS, TNT or HBO. However, the injunction prohibits Dish Network from giving space to someone else to retransmit distant networks. It's that little section of, "and those persons in active concert or participation with Echostar," which prohibits the use for distant networks.

Quote:
They have informed us they intend to use a portion of the capacity on that transponder to offer distant network channels to consumers, including but not limited to DISH Network customers.

Anyone can call NPS in the next few days and order these same channels.

Granted, it ain't coincidence. Wait 'til the judge hears that you need Dish Network equipment to receive this new offering !! How convenient !
Did the judge say all current and/or future Dish Network customers are guilty and therefore can not receive DNS? Or maybe did he say "No DNS except from DirecTV?

What constitute Dish Network equipment?
I own all my equipment that I purchased elsewhere.
And a lot of the equipment used in the Dish Network network is made by other companies.

Last edited:
Exactly after all the oprigonal idea for DNS was to offer the master feeds from NY and LA that carry the entire network line up and do not preempt some programing.

An example of this would be the late ABC Soap Opera Port Charles (1997-2003) which was not regularly run where I used to live but I was able to get from KABC and WABC.

Seems to me that these are no different from any other local station. Are they superstations like WWOR, WGN, KTLA & KWGN and are on the satellite already or are these going to be retransmitted signals.

Bob

Tampa8 said:
I see the NPS website, buy a dish receiver off Ebay, and get the distants from NPS. How is that at all going against the court order?
That isn't against the court order. The question is whether or not NPS can be construed as "in active concert or participation with Echostar".

SmityWhity said:
The the judge say all current and/or future Dish Network customers are guilty and therefore can not receive DNS?
No, just that Dish Network and their interested parties cannot use the 17 USC 119 license in order to transmit distant locals. After tomorrow, any subscriber through Dish Network cannot receive distant networks from Dish Network and any parties "in active concert or parcipitation with Echostar".

That isn't against the court order. The question is whether or not NPS can be construed as "in active concert or participation with Echostar".

Greg, we can agree on that. In my scenero, I guess I'm saying that would not be in concert with them. Please don't get me wrong - as I said, this is a major poker play by Charles.

I'm hoping that Charlie Chat is really taking place tonight. :devil:

Last edited:

They're not. NPS has been a C-Band programming distributor for years. NPS has been selling distant networks for years. Starting tomorrow, they have a different setup for providing these signals. It's a legal arrangement.

They're not. NPS has been a C-Band programming distributor for years. NPS has been selling distant networks for years. Starting tomorrow, they have a different setup for providing these signals. It's a legal arrangement.

In that respect, probably more solid than if Sky Angel was now providing Distants for the first time, though I think they could too.

Can a poll be added to this thread for opinions on whether this will fly legally. I agree with Greg and feel like we're the only two who see this in the same light.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts