Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

Scott Greczkowski said:
If your theory is correct then what about SkyAngel which opperates the same way? Again SkyAngel could start offering Distants tommorow as well if they wanted to.
The funny part is that SkyAngel probably could, if they didn't have an agreement with Dish Network already.

You know, that part about "persons in active concert or participation with Echostar". The statement ceases allowing third-parties to provide distant network service if they are affiliated with Echostar in some shape or form.

The only reason for the Echostar/NPS deal is for distant networks. If Echostar then turned around and leased another transponder to Sky Angel for the same reason, that would also be stopped.

The "persons in active concert or participation" is to stop third-parties from working with Echostar to provide distant network service.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Greg,

Another thought is think of this like DirecTV and USSB, both were two seperate companies that had the same uplink, and used the same technology and hardware.

Think of NPS as USSB, they are seperate from Dish Network yet like USSB they use the same uplink center, technology and equipment. You bill for service comes from NPS not Dish Network.

Its the same exact thing.
Yes, and what channels is NPS showing today? What will be NPS' channel lineup tomorrow?

The DirecTV/USSB thing was different in other aspects. USSB ended up with its own uplink center in Minnesota; USSB actually helped to purchase the initial satellites, and their licenses were in their name (not DirecTV's).

I don't know whose right or whose wrong here, but hopefully by the time the court decides to sort this whole thing out, Congress will have acted and changed the law. Of course the other distinct possibly is that this latest 11th hour move by Charlie will piss off Congress.

And they will continue filing all of this stuff, grasping at straws hoping something sticks.

Take a step back and see what dish is doing. Its a brilliant idea.

The broadcasters are now wishing they had the 100 Million Dollar settlement.

Yes, and what channels is NPS showing today? What will be NPS' channel lineup tomorrow?
Actually NPS is showing Distant Networks today, like they have been the past 15 years or so. Sell Distant Networks and Satellite Programming is what NPS does and has done for as long as I can remember.

There is no doubt in my mind that Judge Dimitrouleas' blood pressure is up close to the dangerous level. Someone asked about NPS not being the one to answer, they were served this morning. There are some interesting exerpts from both the letter sent to the affiliates from NPS and the email sent to them from David Moskowitz on the Transmitter News homepage: http://www.transmitternews.com/NewsWire/113006newsletter.cfm#H1

Well congratulations, this deal with NPS may actually put NPS' distant networks at risk.

Think about it. The only reason why a transponder is being leased is to provide distant networks. That goes 100 percent against the injunction.

This will be reviewed by the Court tomorrow and will be dealt with immediately.

Wow, it actually kinda looks like a last minute setup between dish and NPS. The mydistantnetworks.com domain was only registered on Nov 20th. Interesting what can be done in a short amount of time when some substantial money is on the line.

Too bad not all courts can operate so quickly. Gotta love it when big business is involved and lots of money. I say abolish DMA's and local affiliates. Mine suck anyways. :)

Well congratulations, this deal with NPS may actually put NPS' distant networks at risk.
Yeah right. Keep smoking.

Think about it. The only reason why a transponder is being leased is to provide distant networks. That goes 100 percent against the injunction.
Dish's transponder licences says they can lease or sub lease to anyone they want. No violation there.

While the judge may want to act against Echostar he will realize that he can't as this is a nice legal loophole.

And again once this is all faught out in cort the legislation in the senate will be passed and will be the new law making all of this a mute point anyways.

Actually NPS is showing Distant Networks today, like they have been the past 15 years or so. Sell Distant Networks and Satellite Programming is what NPS does and has done for as long as I can remember.

you are correct. They sell programming for C-Band and 4dtv subscribers. They also sell the Denver 8 (was Denver 5) network programming. Lots of subs on that :)

And again once this is all faught out in cort the legislation in the senate will be passed and will be the new law making all of this a mute point anyways.

The only thing I would worry is an over-zealous judge that doesn't interpret the law, but actually tries to make legislation though a ruling. Sadly it's happening alot lately, especially in the west coast federal courts.

Well the judge is not going to be issuing any decisions on this by tomorrow. He will need to at the very least have E* and NPS respond with briefs to the allegation. I would almost hazard a guess that the court may even require further testimony from the parties before he can make a ruling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts