Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

With the exception of local news and weather, there is no need for local affiliates. Local advertising can be inserted at predetermined breaks in the programming much like the cable companies do now. The days of each rinky dink geographical area having some half-assed local farm report and such hopefully will be coming to an end(which come to think about it is why the HD deadline keeps getting pushed back as these hole-in-the-wall affiliates don't have the money much less the inclination to invest the money needed for digital broadcasts).

It is why I believe over the next decade at least 20 "DMA's" will disappear. Most of them of course would be the "one station" ones, like Glendive, Mankato and St. Joseph.

Local advertising can be inserted at predetermined breaks in the programming much like the cable companies do now.

Thats a wonderful idea... so.. What is your technical proposal of just how the satellite companies are going to accomplish inserting different video for commercials for each of the 100+ different market areas without individual channels? Then you have to consider the different specials, sporting events, etc unique to individual market areas or regions.

I Qualify!

I went to All American and I qualify for distants. My question is: I had to add an extra dish to my roof to get locals and really hate that. Once All American activates my new distants will the ones I am receiving on the second dish be replaced by the networks from All American?

I qualify for all except NBC. I have NBC on the second dish and if I can keep it I will.

In other words could I get both sets?

It is why I believe over the next decade at least 20 "DMA's" will disappear. Most of them of course would be the "one station" ones, like Glendive, Mankato and St. Joseph.

The trouble is everytime a DMAs gets scrapped and the viewers get pooled with an adjacent one, the dissent gets a little louder because invariably some get switched to the "wrong" one.

Look at NH. What is that state divided up amongst - 2 or 3 DMAs? Most of the residents can't even get their one and only station (WMUR).

All residents of the smaller and (or) narrow states, along with border residents of any state should be allowed to at least choose from their surrounding DMAs where they want their networks to come from.

This would only force affiliates to compete against other stations where it was reasonable to assume the affected residents would likely shop but still protect them from all the other stations.

If some sort of compromise like this doesn't happen, the situation is only going to get worse and the concept of the "local" affiliate may disappear completely.

Looking for clarification, has anyone been able to sub ALL the boxes on their account for $9 with NPS and actually has it working on all their boxes?

I am curious about the distinction.
I know at some point, a poster was told by NPS that this is for (1) receiver but looking at their website, I don't see that distinction. Clearly they're supplying Dish with the one card # and Dish is using it to apply to the entire account, i.e. all active receivers.

Who told you this? Anybody in NH can get WMUR. Just not from E*.

The trouble is everytime a DMAs gets scrapped and the viewers get pooled with an adjacent one, the dissent gets a little louder because invariably some get switched to the "wrong" one.

Look at NH. What is that state divided up amongst - 2 or 3 DMAs? Most of the residents can't even get their one and only station (WMUR).

All residents of the smaller and (or) narrow states, along with border residents of any state should be allowed to at least choose from their surrounding DMAs where they want their networks to come from.

This would only force affiliates to compete against other stations where it was reasonable to assume the affected residents would likely shop but still protect them from all the other stations.

If some sort of compromise like this doesn't happen, the situation is only going to get worse and the concept of the "local" affiliate may disappear completely.

"...why the HD deadline keeps getting pushed back..."

What HD deadline? There is no HD deadline. There is a deadline of 2/17/09, when digital takes over. That is the last day NTSC analog may be broadcast OTA. And it's not getting pushed back, it written into law. There is no requirement that anyone transmit HD, only a requirement they transmit digitally and stop analog transmissions.

BTW, we are the only nation in the world that will continue to allow TV broadcasts to use the VHF band after the digital conversion. Every other country drops the VHF band and sticks to UHF only.

Out of curiousity, I put in my location as well as an address near work, and both were rejected. I have never sub'd to our DMA's L-i-L (South Bend / Elkhart IN) from Dish. Which is what I expected, even though I wouldn't mind getting ABC since our "local" channel is a LP transmitter.

NPA may be using their normal process for the first pass at validating an address instead of Dish's database. Of course, their system may have been overloaded yesterday, too.

They do not qualift you untill they have your phone number. If your phone number is not in there system they will NOT qualify your address. If you requested DNS on line they send you an e-mail if you are on the phone with the CSR they tell you to call your provider. This is complet Bullsh!t. If they are not working with dish then they should qualify you based on your address. Your phone number not being in the system should have nothing to do with them selling you distants!

Who told you this? Anybody in NH can get WMUR. Just not from E*.
You're correct, if DirectTV has also been providing access to WMUR for all NH residents instead of just the southern most counties, then I should have said "most Dish customer residents". I probably didn't make my other points very clear either.

Having lived within 2 or 3 miles of the VT / NH border since 1968, part of the point I was trying to make is that satellite television viewers of this area seem to have not been well provided for by existing law and now are even less so because of the consequences of Dish's actions. It's only recently that many NH residents have had access to WMUR from satellite and even now I believe it's part of SV instead of being a must carry local.

Most of eastern VT is not even allowed to get WMUR or WMTW by satellite even though cable customers in the area had those channels for decades.

This doesn't even begin to address the issues people here are facing with digital and HD.

I know of some people that have a stb blacklisted by Dish - who are also planning to test this - which should also be interesting.
Any news on that ?? That will be REAL interesting. I know what you suspect will happen, and I bet we're on the same page: Dish won't activate the channels. Yet another flaw in this "arrangement" they've made.

This whole thing stinks! I agree with Greg that they will get slapped over this. IF NPS needs our phone number to see if we are in the system then that means E* f**ked this up. NPS should not be asking us for our phone numbers. They should ask us for our service address. If we qualify for our service address then they should ask for our name phone number and smart card numbers. This would then mean they are truly independent of E* and just leasing TP space and selling programing independently of E*.

The fact that we may receive LiL from E* should in now way impact us being able to receive DNS from NPS because if NPS is a true independendt company from E* Then NPS can legaly sell DNS to any one in a true white area because NPS does not offer LiL to any one. Like I said before I called the NPS c-band CSR's and my address qualifies for me to receive C-Band DNS from them. They do not know how to respond when I then tell them I am also an E* custoemr and ask why the say They can not qualify me for DNS on my E* equipment. What a joke!

I went to All American and I qualify for distants. My question is: I had to add an extra dish to my roof to get locals and really hate that. Once All American activates my new distants will the ones I am receiving on the second dish be replaced by the networks from All American?

I qualify for all except NBC. I have NBC on the second dish and if I can keep it I will.

In other words could I get both sets?

I scanned the transponders yesterday on the 119-degree main Dish satellite yesterday, and they cleared Transponder 15 (12428 MHz) of what was on and they now have the San Francisco and Atlanta major network stations on channels 5731-5738. Check the www.mydistantnetworks.com site, and you'll see those are the same channel numbers they are offering. So, one can deduce that if you subscribe to any Dish package, you won't need a second antenna to get SF and Atlanta.

It's 1:10PM, CST, and I was surprised to see that I am still receiving all 4 of my DSN channels from LA when I just looked. I am in Northwest Arkansas and also receive Little Rock locals. I thought that midnight last night was the absolute deadline when the last of us would lose all DSN channels. Any idea what's going on?

Closer. E* also had the ability to provide WMUR to all of NH (not only as SV to certain areas) and I think was doing so. Of course, E* no longer has this ability because the 119 license (which is used for DNS/SV/and certain other special cases) has been lost. NH residents in fact got a special deal to receive WMUR because in some areas it was neither local nor SV. Cable is a different issue. I do think that any given subscriber should be able to get essentially the same package or services from either type of provider. This is mainly a function of the DBS companies choosing not to offer certain LIL and/or SV stations.

You're correct, if DirectTV has also been providing access to WMUR for all NH residents instead of just the southern most counties, then I should have said "most Dish customer residents". I probably didn't make my other points very clear either.

Having lived within 2 or 3 miles of the VT / NH border since 1968, part of the point I was trying to make is that satellite television viewers of this area seem to have not been well provided for by existing law and now are even less so because of the consequences of Dish's actions. It's only recently that many NH residents have had access to WMUR from satellite and even now I believe it's part of SV instead of being a must carry local.

Most of eastern VT is not even allowed to get WMUR or WMTW by satellite even though cable customers in the area had those channels for decades.

This doesn't even begin to address the issues people here are facing with digital and HD.

It's 1:10PM, CST, and I was surprised to see that I am still receiving all 4 of my DSN channels from LA when I just looked. I am in Northwest Arkansas and also receive Little Rock locals. I thought that midnight last night was the absolute deadline when the last of us would lose all DSN channels. Any idea what's going on?

Yeah. this kind of information could certainly be more useful(than the other info we have been seeing) in a show cause proceeding. I doubt the one business day delay serves as a stay of the injunction.

This would then mean they are truly independent of E* and just leasing TP space and selling programing independently of E*.
Because they're not. There are multiple ties and arrangements made between Dish and NPS. Some may be valid, i.e. leasing transponder space, but most aren't.
The fact that we may receive LiL from E* should in now way impact us being able to receive DNS from NPS because if NPS is a true independendt company from E* Then NPS can legaly sell DNS to any one in a true white area because NPS does not offer LiL to any one.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but people in 'white areas' don't qualify for LiLs with Dish. They are the small percentage who do qualify for distant networks and are the ones being punished. If Dish offers your DMA's locals, whether you like those locals or not, you don't qualify for distants.

I know at some point, a poster was told by NPS that this is for (1) receiver but looking at their website, I don't see that distinction. Clearly they're supplying Dish with the one card # and Dish is using it to apply to the entire account, i.e. all active receivers.

But NPS isn't asking for the card # now. Looks like NPS is just doing the qualifying using the subs phone number/zip code and then E* takes over from there. Is NPS just a qualifying agent for E*?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts