Dealing with Fiber

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TomHamilton

Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Went to do a G19/FTA microHD install and found the house was pre-wired with fiber - no coax.

The house is a rental so no drilling the walls, and it's a multi-set install. My only solution so far is using flat coax to bring the signal into the house, it works but not my first choice.

Any suggestions in dealing with fiber from a coax source?

Thanks in advance

You need to pass voltage through wire, so using fiber exclusively is OUT. Even if there is some converter to pass the signal, fiber can't pass the voltage needed for the lnb's and switches that need power, so they are SOL.

Can you bring a coax in through a foundation vent, and then fish it up a wall into and outlet box that's already there?

primestar31 said:
You need to pass voltage through wire, so using fiber exclusively is OUT.

I've not seen this for satellite yet but you can transfer power via fiber. They call it POF aka power over fiber. However the costs are just stupid.

Thanks all

Looks like, at least for now that I need to fish in coax.

One of my home systems is an AT&T UVerse setup which has a Cisco wireless router - that seems to work well. I like the idea of wireless and looking forward to a day when we will have that technology available.

Here's fiber gear you can get cheap send 5 signals over one fiber if you use stackers you can send 10 (H and V) I love fiber :)

Attachments

• image-4097055470.jpg
    image-4097055470.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2893293862.jpg
    image-2893293862.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 154
  • image-155025008.jpg
    image-155025008.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 132
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RG6 Connector Lubricate

Problems with Diseqc and WinTV Nova

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)