Dear Friends... (A Note about the Sling Adapter Promotion)

What a piece of garbage this thing is....wow... I'm spoiled by the original and HD Slingbox design. This thing will not get much usage. You really have to watch it through the stupid website? You don't have a remote? Really!?! This really isn't worth my time to have go apply for some card. Dish/Sling really need to go back and rethink this thing. The name Sling adapter should be no where on this thing. It's no where near what you can actually do with a REAL Sling adapter.

I can hear it now... but it's free, digi! Oh well.. I wouldn't have paid $5 for this thing.

Works in single mode here... you can watch it automatically flip over to dual mode then back to single.

Ok cool, that's good to know. Must have done a software update at some point then, because I know at one time it didn't work like that. That probably explains why my 922 allows me to use PiP yet also allows remote viewing, never really thought much of it.

I haven't received mine yet but I'm wondering what happens if your watching a program via the Sling Adapter and the receiver needs both tuners for a previously set recording? I never use dual mode that often but if I remember correctly it will put a pop up on screen asking if you want to cancel the recording. If you don't cancel it the receiver will take control of that tuner and record the scheduled program.

Is that the same way it works with the Sling adapter?

Also I'm not sure how the receiver schedules recordings. Meaning if there is only one program scheduled to record does it always do this on tuner 1 or does it very based on which tuner was last watched and/or recorded from? From what I gather the Sling adapter only uses tuner 2.

What happens if tuner 1 is free recording nothing and tuner 2 is recording something and you fire up the Sling adapter? Is it going to ask you if you want to cancel the recording or will the Sling adapter instead use Tuner 1? I don't think via the online interface there is a way to change the tuners like on the remote?

Thanks,
Kevin.

You really have to watch it through the stupid website? You don't have a remote? Really!?!
Agree this is unbelievably cumbersome and Dish needs to add standalone player capability. The most recent SlingPlayer doesn't work. But you can use SlingPlayer 2.0.3508, which works (at least for now).

Agree this is unbelievably cumbersome and Dish needs to add standalone player capability. The most recent SlingPlayer doesn't work. But you can use SlingPlayer 2.0.3508, which works (at least for now).

Do you have a link to this standalone player? they buried the link to the most up to date one on their website like crazy.

Well I got it and hooked it up. Works fine. I do have the same complaint as one other poster--that there is no standalone player. I guess they are trying to drive traffic to dishonline.com. Also, another note. It would not work with K9 Web Protection on my daughter's computer. K9 is a web filter that I've used to filter content on kids computers. It wouldn't even work when I turned off filtering (probably something with the proxy). I had to completely uninstall it.

Where are you guys checking to see how much you were charged? I go into My Account and Billing and dont see anything.

Also, it looks like they might be sending me two Sling adapters! There are two tracking numbers in the My Shipments section of my account. Now what do I do?

Found it... let's see if it works ;)

http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SP2/SlingPlayer-2.0.3508-Setup-US.exe

I got it working.... except one huge problem. There's almost no controls on the remote...you can see the video though, but without the remote, it's kinda worthless.

I also got it working on the 1.5 version that I have to use in some locations that block an streaming media via proxy. 1.5 still allows you to open it, and put in a direct access IP which works great for connecting. Again, though, no remote controls. The admin password to this thing is admin, just port forward port# 5101 to the 722(k) and you can watch it over the internet with the standalone player. If someone can get the remote controls working that would fix this gapping whole on this product.

Last edited:
What a piece of garbage this thing is....wow... I'm spoiled by the original and HD Slingbox design. This thing will not get much usage. You really have to watch it through the stupid website? You don't have a remote? Really!?! This really isn't worth my time to have go apply for some card. Dish/Sling really need to go back and rethink this thing. The name Sling adapter should be no where on this thing. It's no where near what you can actually do with a REAL Sling adapter.

I can hear it now... but it's free, digi! Oh well.. I wouldn't have paid $5 for this thing.

Agreed!

722 + Slingbox ProHD has been rock solid for 2+ years. was afraid that was going to be the case with this thing.

I couldn't agree more!

Are the problems people are having just on pc viewing? How does this thing behave on a Droid? That's most likely the only way I'll be viewing through the Sling Adapter.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using SatelliteGuys

So what exactly can the Sling do that the Sling Adapter cannot do? I'm all new to the sling world.

Take a look. This is an awesome setup with a dual monitor desktop.

Attachments

• SlingHD2.jpg
    SlingHD2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 196
  • SlingHD.jpg
    SlingHD.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 179
  • SlingHD3.jpg
    SlingHD3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 172
Smartkid said:
Haha - I'm actually new to the sling world too and expecting to receive mine on Thursday. I was just asking because everyone's started complaining that its a piece of junk.

That's funny, because like you, I thought it was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. But as soon as my credit card got charged, it's junk. Story of my life. :)

Where are you guys checking to see how much you were charged? I go into My Account and Billing and dont see anything.

Also, it looks like they might be sending me two Sling adapters! There are two tracking numbers in the My Shipments section of my account. Now what do I do?

They asked me for a credit card number for the $99. However at My Billing, there is anextra $8 added to my next months bill.

The hardware is not a piece of junk at all. It is rather over-engineered and actually can stream HD from TV2 for the first time ever. (The Slingbox Pro HD cannot do that, since there are no analog HD outputs for TV2). It's the software, and in particular the lack of a standalone player, that just cripples the whole idea.

Just got mine ordered. My old Slingbox HD stopped working (that capacitor problem that hit a few people.... Feed works for a few seconds and then drops the connection). Wasn't too concerned as the main use I had for it was watching Mets games while away from home on my phone or laptop. Now that SNY is gone, it is less useful to me, but with me going on vacation in the summer for a week, it will be good to have the capability again. They told me that it was $99 with free shipping. Said something about a $5 fee for a CSR assistance fee (??!!??), but since I was such a good customer she would get it credited on my next bill. Um, OK. Bitched about SNY some more, she mentioned the MultiSports Pak. I countered that it only works for rain delayed games as everything else is blacked out. She finally threw three PPV coupons to get me off the phone ( ;) ) .... One note, they won't let you ship it to my office address where I like to get my receivers shipped. Oh well, hopefully it won't get rained on or grow legs sitting on my porch until I get home.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts