Deca/Ethernet run to router

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kemo46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Texas
I have read the threads but have not found an answer. My install is in a couple of weeks. My wireless router is in a room where none of the receivers are going to be. The retailer said that since I have whole home system( SWM) ( 2-hr 24 and 1- h-24) that they would need to run a cable directly to the router so I can have access to the internet for VOD. One of the workers I talked to said they will run a ethernet cable to that room and plug into the router and said it can come from any of the three receivers.Another employee told me that they would run a coax cable because if you hook a ethenet cable to the receiver, it would disable the internal DECA. I am so confused. Can someone shed a light on what they are talking about and the positive and negative of each? I do not know anything about any of this stuff but it seems like if the ethernet would work, why could I not just purchase a wireless bridge, run a ethernet from one dvr to the bridge and have the bridge connect to my router wirelessly. This would eliminate the need for a new cable to be run, is this not an option?
Thank you.

I'm not familiar w/ wireless bridging so I won't say anything about it. But you're correct w/ the info about not connecting an ethernet cable directly to any of the receivers. My understanding is that the Multi-Room View feature will not work when an ethernet cable is attached to the receiver, except when you have ethernet cables running from receiver to receiver, which would kill the idea of having the internet connected as well.

Based on how my SWM install went I'll describe it this way.. there should only be 1 wire entering your home from the dish, at some point inside your home that wire gets put into the SWM splitter. The splitter distributes the signal to as many outputs (receivers) you'll be using. You'll probably be getting a splitter w/ 4 outputs, one of the outputs will be connected to a DECA device (small white rectangular box) that takes your internet and connects it to the Directv system thru coax.

I'd say what you'll need to be concerned with is where will the splitter/DECA be placed in your home. Your internet gets connected to the splitter, and the splitter does all the work to the receivers themselves.

You could have the DECA device (and its power supply) installed near the router and have a long coax ran to the splitter, or have a long ethernet cable, going from the router to the DECA & power supply, and have that be near the splitter.

Hope this helps some. good luck with it all.

Running an ethernet cable directly to the HR24 will disable the internal deca taking that receiver off MRV.
However, some receivers can be wired directly to the internet removing it from MRV.

That being said, in your situation, they will most likely run a piece of coax to the router and hook a broad band deca up as it is better, easier, and cheaper then running a cat5 to a receiver.

I have a similar setup. My TVs are on the main floor (single floor plan... ranch) and my router is down in the basement where I have a patch panel for all my ethernet runs.
If you're getting MRV (whole home DVR). They will have one coax running to each receiver. At some point between the dish itself and the receivers, they'll install a SWM switch. This takes the cable run from the dish and splits it off to go to each receiver. Again... only need one coax cable to each receiver. From that SWM switch they'll also run a coax to wherever your router is located and install the DECA module there. I think they call this the Cinema Connection or something. It will have a coax connection on it and it will have an ethernet connection on it as well as a power supply (so it needs an electrical outlet nearby).

So... coax from dish to SWM switch. Coax from SWM switch to each TV location and also a coax run to router location.

You won't need ethernet OR wireless at the DirecTV receivers themselves as they will be joined to the network over the single coax that's also carrying the TV signal.

I believe you could connect a broad band DECA near the nearest coax and then connect the DECA to an ethernet cable to the router. Running Cat5e might be easier than running RG6 (especially if there is already an ethernet connect there).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)