Decades adding more affiliates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Decades is coming to a few stations in Wisconsin on 9/2. It replaces ThisTV on all of them. All are ABC affiliates owned by Quincy

WKOW Madison

WXOW La Crosse
WQOW Eau Claire (semi-satellite of WXOW)

WAOW Wausau
WYOW Eagle River (semi-satellite of WAOW
WMOW Crandon (satellite of WYOW)

Also in October it launches on WABI-DT3 CBS in Bangor, Maine (its locally owned)

Which I think leaves This TV on only KWWL out of the Quincy stations. I'm wondering if the change will happen there as well.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
Weigel was a 1/2 owner in ThisTV until they sold their part to Tribune and started Movies!

So I;m sure when contract time came up for ThisTV Weigel came a knocking with other offers (Decades, Movies!, H&I)

I remember when ThisTV went to Tribune some smaller affiliates dropped it immediately for something else. Part of the reason was when it was under Weigel it was in the clear on C-Band. Tribune took over and scrambled it.

there is an affiliation agreement between the owner and this TV.

the only time the ownership of the Diginet that comes into play is if there is a station in the market owned by the same people. Like with decades. since CBS is half owner the CBS owned and operated stations got it at launch. when Antenna TV launched the Tribune stations got it at Launch since Antenna TV is owned by Tribune

Reactions: andy_horton
Weigel was a 1/2 owner in ThisTV until they sold their part to Tribune and started Movies!

So I;m sure when contract time came up for ThisTV Weigel came a knocking with other offers (Decades, Movies!, H&I)

I remember when ThisTV went to Tribune some smaller affiliates dropped it immediately for something else. Part of the reason was when it was under Weigel it was in the clear on C-Band. Tribune took over and scrambled it.
Grit is another that media companies are knocking off This for. Raycom is one

At one time This had 85 percent of the stations but now its down to 73 percent, not including the Wisconsin ABC/CW Quincy owned stations that are switching to Decades. I noticed on rabbit ears that This was launching in some more markets but at least they have the tribune owned stations keeping them. Most of This TV losses come from either Weigel or KATZ diginets. Nashville on the the other hand is just moving diginets around from station to station, including this and Me. Looks like Decades and H&I are making headwave in the diginet world.

but at least they have the tribune owned stations keeping them

Since Tribune owns This the only way they would drop it would be if This was sold (or went off the air) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: gawise
Since Tribune owns This the only way they would drop it would be if This was sold (or went off the air) ;)
As one of the longest running diginets or the longest running, I don't see this tv going away. At one point down here This is all we had. Yes This has lost some affiliates but The diginet should stay around the 75% range for the forseeable future....

Another one bites the dust. KWWT 30 out of the Permian Basin decided to discontinue the tribune channels for the other weigel stations H&I and Decades. The station already had me and movies. Hey Chuck Wood of KLWB, take notice...

The launch was official 8-8-15

Sioux City Iowa gets some Decades

KMEG/14.2 (Sioux City) is now carrying Decades, replacing Grit TV, which moved to KPTH/44.3 (Sioux City). Both channels had earlier carried Azteca America. KMEG and KPTH are operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group and carry CBS and FOX on their primary channels, along with a mix of This TV and MyNetworkTV on 44.2.

Sioux City Iowa gets some Decades

KMEG/14.2 (Sioux City) is now carrying Decades, replacing Grit TV, which moved to KPTH/44.3 (Sioux City). Both channels had earlier carried Azteca America. KMEG and KPTH are operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group and carry CBS and FOX on their primary channels, along with a mix of This TV and MyNetworkTV on 44.2.
i noticed a few stations that have MeTV and one if its sister stations are launching the other two weigel diginets. Do you see more stations doing this in the future. I hope KLWB does it. We already have MeTV and H&I on the 50 xmitter then Decades and Movies, we'd have all 4. In some markets if two stations are owned by the same group then two go on one of the main affiliates and the other two go on another main affiliate. Just saying, sounds like a good deal to me. However wonder where that would leave Get, Cozi, and the Katz Trio.....

i noticed a few stations that have MeTV and one if its sister stations are launching the other two weigel diginets. Do you see more stations doing this in the future.

It depends on the situation as to what they currently have. If there is no room or existing contracts in place it won't happen.
But I'm sure weigel wants to get exposure of all 4 of their nets

It depends on the situation as to what they currently have. If there is no room or existing contracts in place it won't happen.
But I'm sure weigel wants to get exposure of all 4 of their nets
That is what our intentions was to Chuckie from KLWB, I emailed him and said his stock would soar if he added the rest of the weigel and the 3 katz stations, he emailed me the other day and actually gave me an apology for the way he responded to my emails, I said it was no need but its the deal with the decision taking Antenna off the 50 xmitter that he has to deal with. People been cruel to him. He said they ought to be glad they got 4 diginets from this corporation cause some dont have none (damn reminds you of some hardheaded cajun). He then said the next few months to a year keep scanning and checking back. I called Weigel and the new employee that answers the phone was real polite and said if you wanna keep tabs on our diginets you do not have give a call from the H&I site and give the zip code. Weigel is looking hard to get those full power stations that already have at least two of their stations on. She asked if we had Movies! I said no and she was kinda surprised because it already launched. The Lafayette DMA might be hard because when they pushed H&I down here the first time it suprised them they took the first chance but I said that's because they didn't have a joint venture with the big O and O's. Now I could be wrong about the real reasoning but I am pretty sure I am not. I thought when H&I came on the 50/22/32 ownership the other two would slide in also. Now the lady did say just because its not on our radar from now till February does not mean it wont launch. She said the other deal is if we have a station owned by Media there maybe a stand still in getting the other 2 Weigel stations mainly because they may launch to replace livewell which our answer finally will come sometime at the end of this week. The lady said there was talk of Weigel and Tribune launching their diginets in Baton Rouge, Weigel was looking at WLFT (which was at one time the same as KLFT, which is what KXKW is now) who is looking at another diginet to replace Soul of the South. I said tell Weigel thanks for hiring her. Very nice, respectful and was a pleasure to talk too. I gave her my name and email and she told them.

Nonetheless back to Decades, i really like their block programming, and I am pulling my hair out waiting for it to launch (i have no hair on my head)

Anyways Decades seems to be getting popular as the months go on. Hope to see it down here soon. Oh and always great to see your commentary and thanks for the knowledgable info always. your some much more intelligent and meaningful than some of the crazies on the tee vee guyd fb page...

Whatever happened to the Green Bay Station that is launching Decades WBAY ABC 2. I read something about it around May. Is WBAY one of the 7 Media General Stations that was part of the Livewell Network (Formerly Young Broadcasting) cutoff from May 29th......

I been on the decades website quite abit and I am kinda becoming a staunch fan of the channel. I cant wait to see the channel in Lafayette soon. If the sources are true to their word, January to April will be the date. I wont ask the tv station owner because well he gets nervous (reference to how i found out about the H&I launch), but no biggie, I have learned to sit and wait.

Other than Beyond the Decades and the occasional movie or program the channel doesnt do much for me.

The 6 hour loop is bothersome too. There is all this programming that is out there yet they do it in a 6 hour loop. Do a 12 hour loop at minimum.

Reactions: localclassictvfan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)