December 18th Dish Retailer Chat Recap

All they really needed to do was renumber the 625 and the 211 and they would be fine. Otherwise they are falling down the same hole that DIRECTV did with their naming system.

As for pricing, even after the increase it is still a better deal than Comcast. (ESP if you want to have a DVR included and with the timely death of the VHS, it is nice to have a DVR...)

Case study, my local comcast (for zip code 17552). Take the basic standard package for each, add in HD channels and DVR service.

This compares:
Comcast Digital Starter
Dish Classic Bronze DDA (formerly AT100)

SD Chan
Comcast 73
Dish 110

HD Chan
Comcast 28
Dish 28

Reg Price
Comcast 66.50
Dish 44.99

HD "fee"
Comcast 6.50 ( for the HD box rental)
Dish 10.00 ( for the turbo upgrade)

DVR Fee
Comcast 15.95
Dish incl with DDA

Total
Comcast 88.95
Dish 54.99

The SD and HD Channel counts include available locals in the market that are carried on the respective service in HD or SD and all the garbage shopping and PI stations for each. This also assumes that concast won't raise their rates again in February (like they did in Feb 08 and Nov 08).

It sucks, but when you look at the alternatives... it sucks a tad bit less...

Last edited:
I hope you are right, but this is DISH, without warning they might just say,

"Hey your package is gone, now pay us $30 more dollars a month, we're switching you to TurboHD,.....but see, you also get your RSN!" :rolleyes:
I can see them switching to the Turbo name representing the HD version of the channel. The "Classic" thing reminds me of the same foolishness Apple used to do with obsolete Macintosh platforms.

It really is unfortunate that they twisted "Turbo" to mean two different things.

As for pricing, even after the increase it is still a better deal than Comcast. (ESP if you want to have a DVR included and with the timely death of the VHS, it is nice to have a DVR...)

Case study, my local comcast (for zip code 17552). Take the basic standard package for each, add in HD channels and DVR service.

This compares:
Comcast Digital Starter
Dish Classic Bronze DDA (formerly AT100)

SD Chan
Comcast 73
Dish 110

HD Chan
Comcast 28
Dish 28

Reg Price
Comcast 66.50 ($29.99 - 35 intro price for 6-12 months, factor that in)
Dish 44.99

HD "fee"
Comcast 6.50 ( for the HD box rental)
Dish 10.00 ( for the turbo upgrade)

DVR Fee
Comcast 15.95
Dish incl with DDA

Total
Comcast 88.95
Dish 54.99

The SD and HD Channel counts include available locals in the market that are carried on the respective service in HD or SD and all the garbage shopping and PI stations for each. This also assumes that concast won't raise their rates again in February (like they did in Feb 08 and Nov 08).

It sucks, but when you look at the alternatives... it sucks a tad bit less...

You only pay one of these. One is the HD rcvr, the other is the HD DVR.

Big Expenses = Big Price Increases

Do not forget all the litigation suits that E* was and still is involve in.

How do you think Charlie is going to pay these expenses? :rolleyes:

You know push come to shove with everything going up I can just watch ota. Save 130 bucks a month. That's how I get my hd locals now anyway. Really don't want to do that but I can survive without DishNotwork. Hmmm........;)

“a la carte” pricing?

Whatever happen to the idea of “a la carte” pricing?

It was around for a while and the providers (Satellite, Cable) stated that this would be more expensive for the consumer! And I have not heard anymore on this topic.

I wonder if it is still valid?

Every time Dish raises prices, I cut services to keep my pricing the same. Before long, I will still pay them $70 per month and just get my locals, which I can already get for free with my OTA. Guess what I will do then?

Every time Dish raises prices, I cut services to keep my pricing the same. Before long, I will still pay them $70 per month and just get my locals, which I can already get for free with my OTA. Guess what I will do then?

Only have 6 OTA hd channels??;)

I hope you are right, but this is DISH, without warning they might just say,

"Hey your package is gone, now pay us $30 more dollars a month, we're switching you to TurboHD,.....but see, you also get your RSN!" :rolleyes:

After the price hike I could see them automatically transferring all the absolute customers to bronze since they will be the same price.

The fcc chairman ,soon to be replaced next year, pushed for Ala-carte which led to the family packs we saw both providers start carrying a couple of years ago. I don't know what will happen to that one in the new administration.

I have decided to trade in all of my dvrs to dishdepot and get me ONE 722k and an extra set of remote controls. I also bought an Echostar dtvplus dvr -for ota only . I will use that one in the master bedroom for ota only. On the tv 2 extra tuner input on the 722k, I will use a feed from the living room tv and can watch what I want from my bedroom. I can split that feed two more times and my kid can watch in his room and I can watch in the computer room. This will allow me to cut off two dvr additional receiver fees and two extra dvr fees. I can save about $24.00 a month.

Too bad that DISH is forcing me to cut off the additional receivers but I just can't take the extra fees on top of the $8.00 increase for regular programming. I have already cut out excess programming . I used to have AEP and have had it since it started about 9 years ago ,when it was only 69.99. But I cut that down a couple of years ago to top 250 + starz/hbo +HD. When the hd went up so high dropped down to just the 10.00 hd addon. IT is sad that every year I have to bargain with myself what am I going to do away with, in order to KEEP DISH in my home. After this year there will be nothing left to cut down except my regular programming to just top 200 or less. I just think it is ridiculous to pay over a 100.00 a month for sat tv . Since hd was added in my house , the price just keeps going up. Where will it end?

($29.99 - 35 intro price for 6-12 months, factor that in)
You only pay one of these. One is the HD rcvr, the other is the HD DVR.
The HD and DVR fees, the rate card I was reading for my area is very vague about DVR and HD, but for the benefit of the doubt, we will remove the 6.50 and it will still come to 82.45/month.
(edit just reread the comcast page
If you receive an HD/DVR converter from Comcast the monthly charge will be $20.45.
so it's $86.95 a month at the regular rate)

Locally the promo rates are for 6 months. But factoring that in is still a bit misleading; sure they look good on paper... but when they end - the rate bump clocks you harder than a mac truck to the blind spot of a pinto. However, if you really want to get into the down and dirty, this IS based on Dec 08 pricing for the big Con. Once March rolls around, we will see an increase - then another next November. With them it is like clockwork. -- but for the sake of argument, factor in the promo rate, only charge the DVR fee, not the extra 6.50 for the HD fee and assume that Homer's spider pig sprouts wings and flies through the frozen depths of hell (that is to say, comcast goes a year without raising prices)...

(edit - changed these to reflect the accurate HD-DVR rate)
Comcast 1st 6 months: 29.99+20.45= 50.44 X 6 months= 302.64
Comcast 2nd 6 months: 66.50+20.45= 86.95 X 6 months = 521.70

Comcast For the Year: 302.64 + 521.70 = 824.34
Dish: 44.99+10 = 54.95 X 12 months = 659.40

Dish comes out at $165 better for the year; roughly $13.75 a month.

Last edited:
Does Dish management not have a clue on how to save their company?

Subscribers have been leaving Dish in droves, the country is going into a severe recession, their satellite competition (Direct) is running a price freeze through 2009 promotion and Dish's response is substantial price increases!

Maybe they can get a government bailout. Management stupidity seems to be the main criteria for bailouts and Dish certainly qualifies...

Subscribers have been leaving Dish in droves, the country is going into a severe recession, their satellite competition (Direct) is running a price freeze through 2009 promotion and Dish's response is substantial price increases!

Maybe they can get a government bailout. Management stupidity seems to be the main criteria for bailouts and Dish certainly qualifies...

Don't give good ole Chuck any ideas. He will be standing in line for a hand out as many companys will be in the future.

Hell. Who can blame him. Until the government says no, the question is who will not be standing in line.

Just to clarify the DirecTV price free to 2010 is only for new customers only. I am told that DirecTV will be announcing their new pricing shortly.

Congratulations, you receive the SG "every sentence is false" award ! :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts