Decent Star Trek: TNG Upconverts

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Last night I noticed that Star Trek: The Next Generation is on BBCA; so I recorded an episode. To my surprise, the upconvert is very good; certainly better than any other I have seen to date, and better than the DVD-quality of those crappy DVDs I spent hundreds of dollars on.

Of course right now, I have a sample of 1, and maybe this episode's PQ was an anomaly, but the picture's aspect ratio is a bit larger than the standard defintiion picture on dish. Recording a few more episodes this weekend, and Best of Both Worlds on Monday and Tuesday.

Just wish it did not have that huge BBCA logo and the Star Trek:The Next Generation title persistently on the screen. Its not like I don't know it is NOT Star Trek.

BBCA is doing the "discovery networks" type zoom on the image leaving small black bars on the sides and noticeably cutting off the top and bottom of the picture. I personally don't mind that on other programs, but on TNG it drives me nuts. Even though the picture you do see is very pretty, I get hung up on the parts you don't see. I have pretty much memorized each episode of TOS, TNG, DS9 and the first 3 seasons of Voyager so I know what is missing from each frame and can't ignore it.

See ya
Tony

If they are cutting stuff off, I did not notice, and the picture was so much better than SighFigh, I am happy with it. Except for the crap on the bottom of the screen. I dont' give a rat's a$%% when Dr Who is on.

There's no "if" about it Rocky. They are trimming the top and botton in a partial zoom. It's the normal discovery networks thing. But I agree with you about all the crap on the screen during the episode. :)

Watching another episode now, and the clipping doesn't bother me, since its a better picture than anything else I have.

And again, I know that the All New Doctor Who is tonight 9/8C. :rolleyes:

I just realized I am watching one of the infamous - Wesley's science experiment almost destroys the Enterprise - episodes. :D

It's the only one. Evolution. First episode of the third season. This is the episode where Gates McFadden returns to the series and Dr. Polaski falls down a turbolift shaft. Oh,,, no that was another series. :)

I am currently enjoying the new Doctor immensely. David who? :D

I would love to see the series get redone like TOS for BD. With the original filming on 35MM it should be better than what they could do with TOS. Just have to get someone to decide they could make the money redoing all the special effects.

I am surprised it hasn't been done yet, but I am quite concerned by what I expect the price would be for seven seasons on BD. :eek:

It's the only one. Evolution. First episode of the third season. This is the episode where Gates McFadden returns to the series and Dr. Polaski falls down a turbolift shaft. Oh,,, no that was another series. :)

I am currently enjoying the new Doctor immensely. David who? :D

This new doctor's face reminds me of the face that ODO had on Deep Space 9. Alien, Blank with very little lines or eyebrows for that matter. I loved the other doctor better. But I will adjust , in time.;)

The Borg double header The Best of Both Worlds is on... not bad on my 40" but the Bugs are annoying...

Attachments

• vlcsnap-47956.jpg
    vlcsnap-47956.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 151

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)