Decision between staying with D* or going FiOS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DanWard

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Annapolis, MD
I got a new TV for our living room (which never had one) and called to see how much a new HR-20,21 or whatever was going to cost me. I was given two options:

1. "upgrade" the HR10-250 I still have in my treadmill room to an HR-2x for free and no commitment. I can keep the HDtivo, and keep using it. Downside is that will not include wiring the living room for the new box, and I will have to pay the installer to do that -- I have no idea what that will run.

2. Pay $99 for a new HR-2x and new dish (though I don't need one) and have it installed where I want. This would mean a new 24 month commitment -- I currently don't have any commitment. Also, D* will give me HD service for free for 12 mos. to offset the cost of the $99.

I love D*, and have had it since late 2001. They have always been very good to me, and I love their programming, and have even grown to like, if not love, the HR2x boxes. That said, I have FiOS internet and phone service, and can get FiOS tv if I want. I am not sure which way to go here, and figured the wise souls on this board might be able to help with the pros and cons!

Here's where I currently am

1 SD DVR (tivo from 2001 that was my original box)
2 HR20s
1 HR10-250

They are not charging me a DVR fee, because I got the Tivo lifetime sub. in 2001, and D* agreed to honor it with their boxes.

I will need another box, so my monthly bill will be around 125/month if I stay with D*

If I go FiOS, I think I could get one "multi-room" DVR, and then have the other boxes run off of it, which might keep my costs down. The big downsides are leaving D*, which I like, less HD channels (I think), crappier SW on the boxes, and possibly more expensive.

I would love to hear what you all think!!!

Thanks for the response Charper -- that is what I currently have, and I think that is what I am going to do -- I'd love to hear the other side, if anyone wants to speak up for switching

While I have Directv I read this today that makes FIOS look very interesting. Keep in mind this is for the new rollout in Washington State but it'll eventually roll out all over the FIOS footprint:

Verizon said this week that about 80,000 Washington state households who this month gain access to FiOS will get a year’s free use of an HD DVR if they order the service by early next month. Such customers, who usually would pay about $20 a month for the service, would be able to record three HD programs at their home while watching a fourth.

Verizon, AT&T?s DVR Offers Replay Satellite/Cable Strategy - TVWeek - News

My understanding is that DTV was coming with the Fios service; DTV out the pipe. Am I mistaken?

Joe

As soon as I get a chance, Im trying out FIOS TV. If the PQ is as good as they claim, Im sold. FIOS is getting ready for a big HD push.

If you were with E*, with the exception of the E* 622/722 HD DVR, FiOS TV spanks them in all other categories. The biggest disappointment is their HD DVR, but it is a little better than Comcast/Adelphi IMO and they are working to bring more enhancements to include a better IMG (guide) and external storage. Additionally, I have been told by FiOS Execs to expect new products and services after they complete the analog-to-digital upgrades and 100+ HD channels rollout (i.e., after the New Year).

Although the FiOS TV HD PQ can't be beat, the D* HD PQ is still quite good and, given the Sunday Ticket and other sports programming, there is no clear reason to switch over to FiOS TV...other than bundled savings and the quality/reliability of their broadband and voice. To be honest, as soon as the 2-year bundled prices is over, I plan to dump the phone and go with VOIP since it is less expense...unless Verizon can throw us a better deal.

I guess it's boils down to a personal choice. If you like D* then stay with them. If not, then jump over to FiOS...especially if you appreciate quality HD.

Thanks for all the great input -- right now I am leaning towards staying with D* b/c of the greater number of HD channels, the better hardware, and simple inertia, I've been with them for 7 years. I'd love to hear from other FiOS fans, though! What are FiOS's HD plans? Do you know anything Elwaylite?

I would wait on it. That Multi room DVR only outputs to hd on one TV. You can only play on up to 3 tv's at a time. You need a receiver in each room to do so. I would wait till those 100 real hd channels are close to your area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts