Decisions, decisions: which Blu-Ray player to buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lord Darth Vader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Galactic Empire
While I'm not taking an actual poll, I'm looking for comments/suggestions from people as to which of the following DVD players I'm considering might be the best to eventually buy:

* Sony BDP-S300
* Sony BDP-S301
* Samsung BD-P1400

* Sony BDP-S500 (I listed this a bit separately because its price point is a couple hundred more than the three above. If someone can elaborate as to just why, I might consider this unit.)

If the dual format ones weren't so darned expensive, I'd opt for those.

BTW, a PS3 is not an option or desire for me, so please don't recommend that.

I have no experience with the sony's but as of right now, I would recommend staying away from the Samsung you listed. I speak from personal experience.

Since you are against the PS3, I guess in the same basic price ranges, you might also look at the Panasonic players or the Sharp Aquos player

I would go with the Panasonic BD30 over the others, but you will need a receiver to decode the audio.

S~

I just returned Samsung Blu Ray player yesterday for the Sony 300, watched Ratatouille on it and I was very impressed with the pq, and its a Sony you can never go wrong with a Sony

I am with teachsac and as soon as I sell my Denon 3800 dvd player I will have a Panny BD30!! OBTW -- you must be an imposter!!:D

I would go with the Panasonic BD30 over the others, but you will need a receiver to decode the audio.

S~

I've got an Onkyo 805 A/V, so I'm not worried about the sound source. :D

So why do you believe the BD30 is better than the Sony? Is it better than the Sony BDP-S500? That one's really nice, and if I can get my buddy at ABT Electronics to drop its price down to $500-$525 or so, I'd buy it.

I've got an Onkyo 805 A/V, so I'm not worried about the sound source. :D

So why do you believe the BD30 is better than the Sony? Is it better than the Sony BDP-S500? That one's really nice, and if I can get my buddy at ABT Electronics to drop its price down to $500-$525 or so, I'd buy it.

The BD30 has run flawlessly. Panasonic is stable and puts a lot of effort and attention into their players. It is the only final profile player in the bunch. The Sony 300 will not bitstream advanced audio and doesn't support TrueHD and Master Audio. Users have been having problems with the new discs that are java heavy. The Samsung locks up and drops audio. They have not been very dependable with their updates. The BD30 loads quickly and plays effortlessly.

S~

Thanks. I think after further research I'm now leaning toward the DMP-BD30. :)

You won't be disappointed. I had the 10 and now the 30 joins the family. Messed with it a little but I can't take full advantage of it yet since my Integra is still in the shop for its firmware update.

S~

I must admit that this post in the AVS forum concerns me:

But the BD30 can't even internally decode Dolby Digital Plus nor True HD, both of which are also high-def audio formats.

Without buying a brand new AVR, I would be relegated to listening to just Dolby Digital or DTS. Very disappointing!!

BTW, this is not a dig on Blu in general. I am genuinely considering going purple. But I'm flabbergasted to discover that this new profile 1.1 player doesn't internally decode any HD audio formats.

I don't have a bias, per se; rather, I just don't want a gaming unit. Overall, the Panasonic BD30 appears to be better anyway. If I'm ever going to get a game system (like I have the time for THAT!), it'd probably be a Wii anyway.

Your 805 will do a wonderful job. Just set the Panny to bitstream, turn off secondary audio and you're good to go.

S~

I have an Onkyo 805, just set it up yesterday. I also have a 60GB PS3 as a Blu-ray player. I have close to 30 Blu-ray movies, and not one game.

I did not want another Sony product.
I did not want a game machine.
I did not want a player that wasn't shaped like a box (blend in my AV rack better).

Then I learned that the PS3 loads movies faster than most if not all other players.
It has an ethernet port, which makes updates a breeze.
It seems to be the most stable player, and has no problems with BD-java or extras such as Liar's Dice (that don't work properly on some players).
It will almost certainly get a firmware update to support 1.1, and probably passing the bitstreams (rather than decoding them internally).
It gets regular firmware updates and will certainly be around and supported for many, many years to come.
It serves as a media center to show pictures, etc - and accesses my other PCs on the network to show stuff from them, too!
I can easily download movie (& game :rolleyes:) previews for free.
It has a (currently crude) internet browser built in.
I can load another OS (Linux) on it if I want, and could run programs or use another browser.
More home media center functions are coming.
And it was the cheapest Blu-ray player available!

And it actually looks pretty good on it's side in my rack.

Drawbacks? Well, a dedicated player may be easier to use. Right now, I turn it on, and slide a Blu-ray movie in, and it starts right up. But if I want to do a firmware update, I have to go thru a menu. Not a terribly complex menu, but one with a lot of options that don't apply to me, as I am not a gamer. Minor, to say the least. And the thing doesn't use IR for remote control, so I can't use my Harmony unless I buy an aftermarket "translator."

I figure one day when dedicated players get better and cheaper I'll get one, and move this to my bedroom - or sell it. As a game machine, it should keep more value over the years so I'll get some return on my money.

If you do get a PS3, get the remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)