Default favorites list My Channels is a feature not a bug. You've got to be kidding me!

A 1% problem if I've ever heard of one. You're inconsolable, I'm afraid.
It literally takes 6 or less button pushes to put it back to your list.

Guide
Red Button
Down (max of 3 times)
Select

I'm afraid people will complain about something if they're left with nothing to complain about.
I'm afraid people will complain about legitimately annoyed consumers because they either don't realize there are other people in the world besides them, or they have developed an emotional attachment to a corporate entity, and feel the need to defend every decision they make, right or wrong.

YOU are the one in the minority, judging from responses in this thread and others. And, ONE button push would be too many, let alone SIX, as it is undesired behavior that should require ZERO user effort to correct.

See below to get an idea of how wrong you are.
What a childish and ridiculous response.
Sorry, I disagree. I expect to turn on my TV and see everything how I left it. Why should I need to do 6 button presses every morning?
I would consider this a major annoyance. Everyday or more have to change to my custom list?
With the macro I wrote, it only takes one button press. But that's beside the point. I shouldn't have to fix a setting every day. There's no reason for a company to go out of their way to purposely annoy their customers, even if it's just 1% as you say.
You're on the wrong side of this argument. And where did you get that 1% statistic? Hmm? And your "6 step" solution? That was either tongue-in-cheek, or you're a fool.

Yes, six or less button pushes is a trivial issue for you and me, who are technically inclined.
I'm just a wee bit technically inclined myself. And, six keystrokes is far from trivial to me.
If we have to go this far to find trouble, I would say we have arrived at a very good receiver.
First, it's not going that far. Second, there are a number of annoyances that do add up. Third, nobody said it wasn't a good device. But, to deny its shortcomings would be foolish.

DIRT confirmed in another forum that this widely reported bug is actually the designed behavior. Every day Hopper reverts to My Channels instead of your last selected favorites list. I'm pi55ed:mad::mad::mad:. If you are too, let Dish know loud and clear. I know I'll be complaining about it and urging others to do the same as often as possible.

Ya know, I see this a lot here. Many are saying that the Hopper, and the 722 before it, reverts back to My Channels every night. I have a few Favorites lists and, when I set one of them, they stay there, every day even after nightly reboot. It's been that way for me for years, both on my 722 and my Hopper. I don't know the answer to why this is the case. There are two things that I can think of that might make a difference. I have renamed my Favorites lists to something other than Favorites 1 & 2 and I do not shut my Hopper off, ever, just like my 722. Even when I do a power down reboot my Favorites list comes back by default.

Bottom line to me is why even bother having a favorites list if it just gets overridden every time the receiver updates?Either fix it or get rid of favorite lists.

pabeader said:
If we have to go this far to find trouble, I would say we have arrived at a very good receiver.

There are plenty of bugs much more serious than this one, for which I'm quietly waiting for fixes. What makes this one special is it's apparently intentional. And if we don't like it, we need to make some noise. If some don't think it's a big deal, that's fine. But I think it sucks, as do many others. I don't care if I only needed to blink to change fav lists, I shouldn't have to anything at all.

At least it isn't like the cable company here. They showed every channel whether you subscribed to it or not. Very frustrating to go to a channel from the guide only to get a message saying you don't subscribe. So glad to have left that setup.

The guide default is not just on Hoppers, Vip's started doing this several months ago.

Not mine.

As the thread at the other site says, the ViPs quit staying on "all channels", reverting to "my channels" instead. But if you left them on a custom favorites list, they stayed there. Which is fine by me, because the "all channels" list is idiotic. I can't understand why anyone would want to look at it all the time. Plus, there isn't even any logic as to which non-subscribed channels are shown in it, and which are totally invisible.

I'd argue that the overall quality of the Hopper is more than enough reason for Echostar to remain in the receiver business. But feel free to link to viable quality receivers currently available third party companies that you think Dish should use instead.

My point was that they shouldn't be distributing receivers at all, they should be distributing cards. Instead, they're going as far in the opposite direction as possible, not even letting anyone activate any other receiver with one of their cards.

And no, the fact that DirecTV does exactly the same thing isn't justification. A duopoly is no better than a monopoly, as long as the customer has no input into either of the choices.

yes Jim I know that but this did happen when software L646 came out on VIP612 Receiver and i do see this on our VIP722k and this happened when software L750 came out and the only workaround for that is to create a custom favorites list or complain to them and DIRT about that.

Last edited:
Ok here is one reason I prefer the All channels list...

The dark blue color!! I hate the puke yellow,the poop brown,the cyan is too washed out,and green doesn't contrast well with the darker blues of the background guide.

Now that said I spent quite a bit of time editing both the 612 and 722 guides in the all channels list locking out channels we don't watch or subscribe to.Now Dish has taken that away.Is that whining,being petty?Perhaps it is.But personally I don't understand why they changed it in the first place it wasn't broken don't recall seeing too many complaints about it.Now there are many complaints.Just food for thought.:)

Ya know, I see this a lot here. Many are saying that the Hopper, and the 722 before it, reverts back to My Channels every night. I have a few Favorites lists and, when I set one of them, they stay there, every day even after nightly reboot. It's been that way for me for years, both on my 722 and my Hopper. I don't know the answer to why this is the case. There are two things that I can think of that might make a difference. I have renamed my Favorites lists to something other than Favorites 1 & 2 and I do not shut my Hopper off, ever, just like my 722. Even when I do a power down reboot my Favorites list comes back by default.

OK, I went so far as to turn off my Hopper last night before going to bed. I got up this morning and went it directly to my Favorites list that I had it on last night. I do an auto-tune every day after the nightly reboot just to get rid of the need to push select to come out of standby. I did notice that the Hopper was 'on' this morning even though I turned it off last night. So, it appears that turning the Hopper off at night doesn't change anything.

Now, if someone has a favorites list that is just called Favorites 1, instead of renaming it, could you try renaming it to something else to see if that corrects the issue. Another thing to try is to set an auto-tune to see if that corrects the issue. I have my auto-tune set to ABC local news at 5AM which has that programming every day Sunday through Saturday.

Last edited:
Now, if someone has a favorites list that is just called Favorites 1, instead of renaming it, could you try renaming it to something else to see if that corrects the issue. Another thing to try is to set an auto-tune to see if that corrects the issue. I have my auto-tune set to ABC local news at 5AM which has that programming every day Sunday through Saturday.
Mine is called FAVORITE. "Favorites 1" would be too long. I can't even have an S on the end. I had the same limitation with my 722k. (I also have one labelled MUSIC.)

Also, I can't see how to do lower case. So, it's all in upper case. Why don't they have it revert to lower case after the first letter, like every smart phone keyboard?

As for the default guide bug/feature, last night, when I went to Guide, it was on All Channels, even though I had left it on FAVORITE the night before. Very very very annoying. FIX THIS, DISH!

I just looked and I was incorrect in saying Favorites 1, 2 , etc. It is actually List 1, 2, etc. That said, Gary has proved that the naming of the Favorites list is not the issue fix. Now, the only thing I can think of that is different from what Gary and I have set up is my Auto-tune. Gary, just for more jeepers, set up an auto-tune for ABC7 News at 5AM and see if that fixes it. Doesn't make sense, I know, but you and I are almost set-up exactly the same, same area, western arc, etc... You have the issue, I don't. Something is causing that to happen. Maybe if we can isolate what it is we can get it fixed permanently for every one.