Default Guide

How do you feel about the default guide behavior?

• I prefer the current behavior of defaulting back to My Channels.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I would prefer it if it stayed on the last-used guide.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I would prefer the ability to choose a default guide in the menu settings.

Votes: 40 53.3%

• Total voters
Im not sure what the hell they were thinking.
I've heard that Dish feels that a lot of customers are tying up CSR's with complaints about the guide not showing the correct channels because they had it on a guide other than My Channels.

Personally, I feel it may have as much, or more, to do with Dish not wanting the PPV and VOD channels hidden. That is the reason you don't see them nested (collapsible), even though they clutter up the guide way more than RSN's or International channels which are nested. Apparently, they think that people make impulse PPV/VOD purchases after seeing titles listed in the guide, in much the same way supermarkets put candy and crap by the checkout lines, as opposed to the reality of PPV/VOD purchases usually being a deliberate decision.

It can also help when Dish adds new channels, and you're not a member here. I know when stopped tracking regular Dish updates here (soon after I got HD locals, several years ago), that I would be missing recently added channels because I was using a favorites list, rather than one of the default dish guides.

I don't recall how creating a favorite works - do you select the channels you WANT or do you select the channels you do NOT want ? If it's the 2nd option, new channels would actually show up in your favorites .... but I'm guessing it doesn't work that way now that I think about it.

I'd probably be more apt to create favorites lists if I could set timers to only search on a particular list.

It can also help when Dish adds new channels, and you're not a member here. I know when stopped tracking regular Dish updates here (soon after I got HD locals, several years ago), that I would be missing recently added channels because I was using a favorites list, rather than one of the default dish guides.
Then, offering a configuration option to select the default list would solve the issue for those who feel that is important.

Personally, I would choose the convenience of defaulting to my Favorites list over the possibility of not immediately finding out they've added The Blaze or BeIn Sports.

VIP models default back to My Channels as well.

Not so fast..... Not all do, mine does not unless I was in the "All Channels" list. That was the original intent. Are you sure there are any VIP receivers don't stay on a user defined list?

It's ridicules they don't at least give the option to keep it at the last menu used on the Hoppa. I would find that very annoying to say the least.

Last edited:
My old 722 didn't revert for a very long time while it did for many. Then, all of a sudden, it started reverting every day, just like everyone else.....

It doesn't always do it. It appears to default back only if the guide update is accompanied by a forced reset - not every night, and never with the mid-day guide update.

You know I don't mind that it stays on My channels. I went through the entire system and locked out all the channels I don't watch like sports, religion, shopping channels, latino or spanish speaking , and now My channels is just the shows I like to watch. I don't even need a separate guide for anything now.

You know I don't mind that it stays on My channels. I went through the entire system and locked out all the channels I don't watch like sports, religion, shopping channels, latino or spanish speaking , and now My channels is just the shows I like to watch. I don't even need a separate guide for anything now.
So did I, for the most part.
However, there are many channels remaining that I do not watch on a regular basis, but still want to have available in case there is something special I may want to watch. (CSPAN, NASA, PPV, VOD, Sports, a number of SD channels, etc)

I do not want these cluttering up my default guide, even though I do want them available for possible viewing. I think most people feel the same way, even if they also use channel locks to hide the flotsam and jetsam. The poll above tends to reinforce my argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)