Defective HD receiver replaced, now 2 year contract starts over?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

insomniahead

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 29, 2007
My HDMI went out on my BOX. After a long, long debate of them saying that since the HD receiver has another cable for HD via component cables, they would not replace it since it is the "same." Anyone in the Audio/Video world knows that this is a downgrade plus I had my Pioneer calibrated via HDMI outlets and have a component closet with only HDMI cables running to the addict and dropping down into my TV. The calibration , 50+ feet HDMI cord and installation was way over a $1000. I got a lawyer on them and they quickly sent me a replacement HR21.

I wrote down on my calendar 2 years ago that today was my upgrade day (2 year agreement expires with Directv) I was gonna get a new package to lower my price per month and get a new box, however I called in and they told me since they had to replace a faulty box that my upgrade wouldn't be for another 2 years.

Is there anything I can do about this nonsense? I love Directv and the service and channels they give. But there service for returning customers kinda stinks.

Since they sent me a faulty box, now it's my fault? Thought that was customer service 101?

The protection plan has nothing to do with replacing a defective receiver and whether or not it involves a commitment, only if you pay for shipping. If the unit is leased, and defective, then there is no commitment involved, period. In this case, Directv doesn't consider it defective because the component outputs still work. You may be able to get them to change your commitment, but that's how it's supposed to be, like it or not. BTW, are you planning on leaving any time soon? If not, the commitment doesn't really matter. I know, it's the principle of the thing. Still, you have to pick your battles.

well im currently paying 160 a month, a new contract would likely take $50 a month off that

I don't for the life of me know how they could say the box isn't defective just because there is another set of outputs. The output you need is dead. The box is defective. Replacement with no extension if it's leased. End of story. Jeebus people learn how to escalate. If the person you are talking to is a moron, tell them to transfer you to a supervisor, or hang up and call again. Don't get yourself worked up trying to reason with a mud puddle.

Last edited:
Premier $115
4 extra boxes $20
DVR $10
Tax.

Not a stretch at all.

Does this explain how a new contract would take $50 off his current $160 bill? That's what I asked the OP to explain since he said a new contract would take $50 off his current bill. Don't quite understand how he thinks this would be possible.

That, or he is going to reduce his bill by removing programming.

Replacing a faulty leased receiver does NOT start another 2-year commitment, although many CSRs don't understand that. Call DirecTV again, ask for the access card department, tell them you had a box replaced and you want to make sure they did not start a new commitment.

Replacing a faulty leased receiver does NOT start another 2-year commitment, although many CSRs don't understand that. Call DirecTV again, ask for the access card department, tell them you had a box replaced and you want to make sure they did not start a new commitment.

Correct, but it sounds like Directv doesn't consider it defective since the component outputs work.

I know that not having HDMI for me would be a big issue as I use HDMI to my 47" (25' in floor/walls) AND component to my HD projector. So if one of my outputs stopped working, that would definitely need a replacement. Heck, even if I was only using the HDMI, there is no way I am drilling large enough holes to run both component and audio cables to my TV, let alone buying new 25' cables due to a defective receiver!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts