Defragging my HR20-700

Status
Please reply by conversation.

atp1313

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Goose Creek, SC
Aside from doing a complete reset of all data, can the HR20's be "defragged"? My system is very choppy on replay, but crystal clear on live play. At first I thought it might be rain fade or bad cable/connection, but then I was watching SportsCenter and when I "blooped" back to see a spectacular play, what had previously been a perfect image/audio feed was now pixelated and buggy. I tried this on several channels (SD and HD) and the same thing seems to be happening. I have looked through this site and done general searches for this answer but drawn a blank. Would love to be able to watch uninterupted playback and thinking a defrag would fix the problem since I have so many old and new shows intermixed on the drive.

Any ideas or advice appreciated...

Which sofeware version do you currently have on your receiver ?
I have never heard of anyone defragging the receiver, how would you go about finding the interworkings of the unit to get to where this type of thing would be accessable, if it's able to be done ?

Jimbo

I am running the latest national release. I did a forced (02468) download late last week. Trying not to turn on the TV right now because the kids are around...no couch potatoes here... :) Will post version later.

When we do a RBR, does the drive get defragged or realigned at all?

Which sofeware version do you currently have on your receiver ?
I have never heard of anyone defragging the receiver, how would you go about finding the interworkings of the unit to get to where this type of thing would be accessable, if it's able to be done ?

Jimbo

0x134

I am running the latest national release.

When we do a RBR, does the drive get defragged or realigned at all?

Your running the latest National release ?
The Ox134 is the CE version , not the National one, although it looks like it will be in the next few days.

RBR does a simple reboot, not a defrag or anything else like that.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Your running the latest National release ?
The Ox134 is the CE version , not the National one, although it looks like it will bwe in the next few days.

RBR does a simple reboot, not a defrag or anything else like that.

Jimbo
0x132 was the CE, 0x134 is the national release and it was pushed to both of my units this morning.

Last edited:
Personally i suggest Reformat / then force download usually that will fix alot of crap.

And getting in to the HD internally is possible...its not legal but its possible.

Personally i suggest Reformat / then force download usually that will fix alot of crap.

And getting in to the HD internally is possible...its not legal but its possible.

Only problem with doing a reformat is that you then LOSE everything you had on your hard drive.

Jimbo

I believe the file system used doesn't require defragmentation, nor is there any way to perform a defrag. A reformat will take care of it, of course.

Yeah, this options sucks unless it is a major problem. Seems to be less of an issue now that I have deleted some large HD programs (4 hr slots) and two weeks worth of Colbert Report. Maybe haivng the guide "group" those similar programs was causing drag on the system. Also, now below 50% used and seems to be better.

Aside from doing a complete reset of all data, can the HR20's be "defragged"? My system is very choppy on replay, but crystal clear on live play. At first I thought it might be rain fade or bad cable/connection, but then I was watching SportsCenter and when I "blooped" back to see a spectacular play, what had previously been a perfect image/audio feed was now pixelated and buggy. I tried this on several channels (SD and HD) and the same thing seems to be happening. I have looked through this site and done general searches for this answer but drawn a blank. Would love to be able to watch uninterupted playback and thinking a defrag would fix the problem since I have so many old and new shows intermixed on the drive.

Any ideas or advice appreciated...

I've got the same exact problem. Everything on live TV is perfect. Everything recorded has pixelation issues. I only have 40% used on on the hard drive. (Boy do I miss the superior performance of TiVO).

How do you know which software version you are running?

Did anybody come up with any ideas short of reformatting, that can solve this problem?

eianson go to menu, help and settings, setup, Info and test press select, then scroll down a bit in info tab and you wil see past upgrade, that is the software version-mine is 0x13Dd,

also just cleaning up the hard drive and formatting seems to be the only workaround-if you do a red button reset (which is located in the access card door) that helps clean up some errors as well. the last option does not format the hard drive

I've got the same exact problem. Everything on live TV is perfect. Everything recorded has pixelation issues. I only have 40% used on on the hard drive. (Boy do I miss the superior performance of TiVO).

How do you know which software version you are running?

Did anybody come up with any ideas short of reformatting, that can solve this problem?

I bet that TIVO wasn't superior in the 1st 6 months of existance ......... And it cost a Tidy Grand to own one.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)