DEI denies junior use of number 8

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
looks like teresa, the wicked stepmother, couldn't or wouldn't reach an agreement with rick hendrick to allow the number 8 to move to hendrick next season.

i can just see it now for the rest of the season.........angry fans holding signs in the stands reading ``free number 8'' (as ESPN has suggested).

meanwhile, ESPN says hendrick hasn't decided yet what numbered car junior will drive in 2008. well, sports fan, the soap opera continues. :rolleyes:

I remember reading not too long ago that Nascar said they wouldnt allow the "sale" of a # between owners, as THEY own the #'s and they assign them to the racing teams.

So I dont think DEI is at fault, its a Nascar rule. Which of course they wont budge on as they will get a piece of the pie of whatever new stuff is sold for the new team/#/Color/Sponsor.

actually, NASCAR said it was okay for hendrick and DEI to talk about a swap of numbers. personally, i think this is just another episode of teresa being teresa. other than having a great business mind, i wonder what the heck dale saw in her.

I thought this was decided about a month ago. That's what they said during one of the races.

The teams actually lease the numbers year to year. If they have it one year the are, as a matter of tradition, allowed to renew the lease each year. But, there is no rule that says that NASCAR has to let DEI keep the #8.

But if they did, all JR. would have to do is to tack a 0 on the front and call it the 08.

if DEI does not have anyone dring the #8 next year, then any team can ask for the rights to it. the way it works is that the team who had the number the previous year has the first option of renewing the lease. most likey DEI will renew it and have someone drive the #8, just to prevent hendrick from applying for it.

right now, any team could ask for the #3 and use it, but no team has the stones to do it.

Knowing that this will NOT happen, but :
What do you all think would happen if Jeff Gordon were to change teams from Hendricks to someone else.

I bet Jeff would take his number with him where ever he goes, or could you see Dale Sr. moving to a different team and having to use a different number ?
Hardly, of course it happened in his early years, but that was before he was established as he was thruout most of his career.

Jimbo

Knowing that this will NOT happen, but :
What do you all think would happen if Jeff Gordon were to change teams from Hendricks to someone else.

I bet Jeff would take his number with him where ever he goes, or could you see Dale Sr. moving to a different team and having to use a different number ?
Hardly, of course it happened in his early years, but that was before he was established as he was thruout most of his career.

Jimbo

Sorry but I disagree. The driver won't take the number with him if the owner doesn't want him to.

Anybody remember the commercial where Jr announces he's changing his number to 6.5? I don't think NASCAR allows fractions or decimals though.:)

What's wrong with the 5? It has a history with Hendrick and I don't think Kyle Busch ruined the number so it has to be changed. Remember how Roush changed the 97 to 26 after Kurt got fired? Maybe the Busch boys just make you want to forget them. The 5 won a cup with Terry Labonte driving, it's a perfectly good number. Other than Paul's point about Jr fans needing something with an 8 in it, I don't think they need to change the number.

Anybody remember the commercial where Jr announces he's changing his number to 6.5? I don't think NASCAR allows fractions or decimals though.:)

What's wrong with the 5? It has a history with Hendrick and I don't think Kyle Busch ruined the number so it has to be changed. Remember how Roush changed the 97 to 26 after Kurt got fired? Maybe the Busch boys just make you want to forget them. The 5 won a cup with Terry Labonte driving, it's a perfectly good number. Other than Paul's point about Jr fans needing something with an 8 in it, I don't think they need to change the number.

I agree,
With the latest happenings, I would probably expect Jr to run the 5 unless they do 81.

Throw a new paint scheme on the 5 and they will all forget about it.
I wouldn'teven mind if Jr had Kellogs for his sponsor, I just don't like the Pepsi/ Mountian Dew thing.

The commercial I think was changing to 6.7 :)

Jimbo

Maybe 6.7:) I remember it was funny because of the fan reaction and who thought he'd drive anything other than the 8. The fan reaction might not be too far from the truth.;)

They could do 11. Didn't Darrel Waltrip drive for Jr Johnson with Mountain Dew sponsorship and the #11?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)