Deinterlacing 4:2:2 video, what to use

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

vfrjim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
Rhode Island
Being able to receive a 4:2:2 signal is one thng, but to deinterlace it properly so that it looks gorgeous is another. The unfortunate thing is that while recording a file with TSRreader, I have not found any player other then VideoLan can play back a file because of the state it is in (being created by TSReader. I have tried all deinterlacing modes, with Blend and Bob being the best and the others just not even tolerable(b&w, dbl images etc). I have LOTS of CPU power, so I am not maxing out it, but am never happy with the quality of it, even though it is a high-bitrate signal and should look fantastic.

Ideas?

Join the club. I use the Elecard codec with VR9 in Dvb Dream and the resulting pic looks like a 16mm movie from my high school days. Shown on a bad screen. With the lights on. From 100 yards away. :(

Sounds like we have a LOT to learn about this. Maybe someone will come along and give us some ideas. I too have a lot of CPU horsepower ( AMD 6000+), but that ain't helping. :)

Being able to receive a 4:2:2 signal is one thng, but to deinterlace it properly so that it looks gorgeous is another. The unfortunate thing is that while recording a file with TSRreader, I have not found any player other then VideoLan can play back a file because of the state it is in (being created by TSReader. I have tried all deinterlacing modes, with Blend and Bob being the best and the others just not even tolerable(b&w, dbl images etc). I have LOTS of CPU power, so I am not maxing out it, but am never happy with the quality of it, even though it is a high-bitrate signal and should look fantastic.

Ideas?

I just use VLC and go through the various de-interlacing options and choose the best one.

Just an update, I started to experiment with Zoomplayer (kinda forgot about that one since I used it when it was in EARLY beta) and it really looks nice. Will have to try it with a live recorded file that is HD 4:2:2 to verify that it will work correctly, but with a recorded file from the other day, it definitely BLOWS away VLC's best deinterlacing methods.

digiblur, I am kinda fussy, especially when I blow it up to 100" diagonally.

I have kept my setup pretty basic. It seems to work best for me. I have a new Gateway Media computer OS Vista 32 bit, installed Skystar 2, DVBviewer TE, and downloaded and installed the Etymonix Codec.

Last edited:
Does this decoder work with HD (either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2) resolutions? Their website implies that version 1.12 only goes to 768x576 but what is your experience?

I would like to try this decoder as my impressions of Elecard are also not good and VLC is OK but could be better depending on the feed.

It would be best to download the free trial version 2.0 beta as I did to start. Beta Version 2.0 has full HD support and supports resolutions to 1920X1152. Also supports Mpeg2 4:4:4. It list it as experimental for vista but I had no problems. I liked it after trying it I decided to buy it to get their logo off the screen. The only problem with purchasing it right now is that you are kicked back to v1.2 with a free upgrade to 2.0 when released. If you have not already checked out the specs on v2.0 here they are.
Download

I did find this as a issue when downgrading to V1.12. Under Vista it won't automatically switch between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2. Its default is 4:2:2. In order to view4:2:0 HD with this codec installed you need to open the configure box and untick the boxes. To go back to 4:2:2 tick on restore defaults. This took me a while to figure out as I didn't have this problem with V2.0. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent info. I'll try the Beta and then wait for the official 2.0 release to buy it if it I like it. I have no issues paying for good products. i.e. DVBViewer Pro, TSReader.

Mark.
I know this is getting off the subject. I use TSReader and DVBViewer TE. How is DVBViewer Pro? Have you ever had a chance to compare it to the TE edition? Is it worth the upgrade? I've considered it but for what I do TE seems to be ok.

barret

DVBViewer Pro is worth every penny. It's been over 2 years since I used TE but it almost seems like they are completely different programs. Check out the DVBViewer site for a side by side list but even that doesn't do it justice. Excellent recording system, I love the PIP mode which now supports two (or more) input cards (I have 2 Skystar 2's in my machine). Streaming (but I usually use VLC for that as I'm usually transcoding for slow machines), Lot's of plugins although the best ones seem to get integrated over time. I've even used it for DVD playback the odd time. Excellent support. Lifetime upgrades.

Obviously I'm a fan of it. :D

I use TSReader/VLC for general feed hunting and DVBViewer for when I want a good recording or the best picture or want to play back an old recording.

I have tried DVBDream, ProgDVB, MyTheatre. None come close in my opinion.

Mark.

Hi barret,
I use the Etymonix Softreel Codec for 4:2:2. Running AMD 6000+ dual core 3.2 GHz. I have been quite satisfied with the picture quality. I have never tried anything else so I can not offer any comparison inputs. Etymonix | Products | Etymonix SoftReel MPEG-2 Video Decoder.
I downloaded and installed the Etymonix codec, but MyTheatre does not see the video codec.

It see the audio codec, but just doesn't show up for video.

Any ideas what it needs?

Alright, now I am starting to get pi$$ed!

I have been trying to get the Etymonix Softreel Codec for 4:2:2 from barrett above to work in MyTheatre for the last two days.

I worked with it all day yesterday and got nowhere. I un-installed several codecs per the FAQs on the Etymonix site to no avail.

Edit: The Etymonics website says it needs a third party de-multiplexer for it to work.

I downloaded DX9-SDK and tried to use Graphedit to create a graph, but that wouldn't work. MyTheatre said it didn't even recognize the format. I tried to make a graph using Graphmaker which was a lot simpler, but MyTheatre won't display a video or make a sound while using it.

So I made up my mind that I would format and start over after Church today only installing what codecs I might need. I even disabled the integrated sound and put my SB Live 5.1 card in.

Still no joy.

I installed DVBViewer Pro without the SS2 drivers of course and it sees it and thinks it is great.

Why am I going to so much trouble with this codec?

I think we need an alternative for HD 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 besides Elecard. Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with Elecard, but I just think we should have a choice.

I will post this on the MyTheatre board too.

If you've got an answer, or a graph making this work, please post your answer.

Last edited:
Have you tried FFDshow?, Dscaler?, they both work for me for 4:2:2, but be warned some people can't get Mytheatre to "see" the FFDshow video codec on the system and the only way to use it is to make a graph with it. DvbDream sees it no problem.

Have you tried FFDshow?, Dscaler?, they both work for me for 4:2:2, but be warned some people can't get Mytheatre to "see" the FFDshow video codec on the system and the only way to use it is to make a graph with it.
Hey Guy!

I haven't tried FFDshow or Dscaler.

I never liked FFDshow the time or two I tried it with DVBDream, and just don't know anything about Dscaler.

MT's board is down right now so I can't post the question there yet.

It just seems a shame that barrett got it to work so good with DVBViewer, we should be able to make it work with MyTheatre and the Twinhan card.

I do have sound with the graph I made now, so that is an improvement.

Graphmaker doesn't allow me to insert more objects into it than what I have, and I can't get Graphedit to make a graph that works, or I would try and insert Microsoft's DirectShow de-multiplexer in there to see if it would work.

I use the Etymonix Softreel Codec for 4:2:2. Running AMD 6000+ dual core 3.2 GHz. I have been quite satisfied with the picture quality. I have never tried anything else so I can not offer any comparison inputs. Etymonix | Products | Etymonix SoftReel MPEG-2 Video Decoder
Hi jerryt,

All I really know about the codec is what is on the website above.

The FAQs are here.

"For MPEG-2 transport streams (such as HDV), a third-party demultiplexer is required."

And the features are here.

All of that looks good if we can get it to work.

Thanks for trying!!

Guess that's why I love TSReader and VLC/MPC. Just click and go.

I tried MyTheater over a year ago and hated it...just too clunky to get around. I use the STB for normal SD FTA viewing and scanning, I love the ability to just punch in the frequency and SR and go without having to scan stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)