Deinterlacing 4:2:2 video, what to use

Status
Please reply by conversation.
After getting my computer working again, I figured out what my problem was. For those that didn't read my previous posts, I was having a problem with DVBDream and the Audio Renderer "redding out" and not working. Well, I installed Avivo, and it did it again (mind you this is a clean install). I uninstalled it, and it stopped doing that. Weird. Which really stinks because Avivo is awesome and looks better than anything else. Can anyone post, or refer me to some sites, of your configuration files for FFDShow, specifically for 4:2:2. The NBC feeds look kind of nasty to me, didn't know if someone has some settings to "clean it up" and make it look prettier.

After getting my computer working again, I figured out what my problem was. For those that didn't read my previous posts, I was having a problem with DVBDream and the Audio Renderer "redding out" and not working. Well, I installed Avivo, and it did it again (mind you this is a clean install). I uninstalled it, and it stopped doing that. Weird. Which really stinks because Avivo is awesome and looks better than anything else. Can anyone post, or refer me to some sites, of your configuration files for FFDShow, specifically for 4:2:2. The NBC feeds look kind of nasty to me, didn't know if someone has some settings to "clean it up" and make it look prettier.

Hey Dashaund, glad you got your computer running again. The 'redding' out problem is well documented on the dvbdream forum, it seems some have it and some don't. There are a few suggestions there you could try it you haven't already. Did you register ddsource.ax? If not run ddreg.bat in the dvbdream root dir. I get the redding out on some codec/renderer combinations and not others. I've found if its redded out and gives me the error message, if I just back out and restart DD it will work.
I"ve read in that thread that this problem only started on the 1.4 versions, the 1.3 version works fine.
I've played with the FFDShow settings but on recent installs I just leave it to default...its looks good to me but everyone's eyes are different.

That's great it worked for you! I can't take credit though, just something I picked up from that thread on the DD forum. DVBdream is a really nice piece of software, I've been playing with it more and more lately.

It is a nice piece of software. But I can't find a codec yet that I'm happy with that can do 4:2:2. Still, the best I've found is TSReader w/VLC. FFDShow and Elecard both aren't smooth, it's kind of choppy. The picture detail is smoother, yes, but they aren't smooth as far as framerates. It's very irritating when trying to watch sports. And I'm not even cracking half of my CPU, so I know it's not that. Anyone have a clue as to why it does this, and how to correct it? Why VLC plays so much smoother than Elecard?

You can try turning off de-interlacing in your video card software, that makes a big difference for me as far as minimizing stutter, choppiness. I use video mixing renderer, intervideo, and Nvidiapurevideo, for 4:2:2 I use Dscaler mostly. Also, try increasing your video and audio buffers, I get a lot of overflows at the default settings. Our setups are quite similar, I have a core 2 duo 6850, 2 gigs ram, like you say, doesn't even break a sweat doing hd or 4:2:2. I'm using a ATI 3870HD video card.
Tsreader/VLC works nicely here too, just wish Rod would fix Usals:(

Hi All,

The Etymonix support guy is still working with me to try and get Etymonix running with both DVBDream and MyTheatre. They purchased a Twinhan 1020a card and hooked it up to a C-Band dish pointed at G26 so they could see for themselves what I was describing for them.

Etymonix now works in DVBDream if you uncheck NV12 and YV12 in the Etymonix configurations screen.

The picture quality and color is now quite good. There are still some issues with not interpreting the size of the video properly so there are black columns on the side and at the bottom of some feeds, but it no longer crashes DVBDream on HD feeds.

I watched some 4:2:2 on G26 this morning 720x512, and it displayed perfectly except for the size.

My opinion of this codec is that it will be every bit as good as Elecard when they are finished with it.

They are still working on making it work with MyTheatre. :)

Just an update on Etymonix Soft-Reel codec.

The support team has released 2.01 of their software and have identified the source of most of the issues causing the problems. They are working on fixing the issues and hope to have a test release for me to try soon.

They are committed to making their codec work with DVBDream and MyTheatre.

Etymonix has finally put their Sorftreel 2.10 Beta1 up on their website for the public to download.

The list of fixes are as follows:
New in 2.10 beta 1

* Numerous fixes and improvements for DVB applications (DVBViewer, DVBDream, MyTheatre)
* Added deinterlacing support (performed by graphics cards) - NOTE: Deinterlacing is CPU-intensive
o FIX: Horizontal bands and artifacts around moving objects in interlaced video when viewed on progressive display screens
* Added configuration setting to toggle deinterlacing (default is enabled)
* Implemented 3:2 pulldown (telecine) support
o FIX: Various playback problems (A/V sync, choppy video, video played too fast or too slow, stuttering audio) with some streams (including VOB files)
* Microsoft MPEG-2 Demultiplexer is now supported (connection no longer fails)
o FIX: Improves playback of captured DVB files
* Improved video timing locking and accuracy
o FIX: Intermittent black flash in DVBDream
o FIX: A/V sync could drift over a long period of time in DVB applications
* Added support for changes to the stream format (such as resolution):
o FIX: In MyTheatre, audio plays but video remains black
o FIX: Changing channels in DVB applications was not functioning properly
o FIX: Video corruption (upside-down picture, wrong colors, slanted video, video wrapped around from bottom to top of window, video scaled incorrectly, video in top-left corner of window, duplicated image, etc)
o FIX: Frame rate changes caused various playback problems (A/V sync, choppy video, video played too fast or too slow, temporary video freeze)
* FIX: DVBDream crash when tuning some HD channels
* FIX: Access violation with some channels in MyTheatre
* FIX: Improved handling of non-standard streams

They have come a long way and the product is now truly amazing. I tried it using MyTheatre on every HD channel I could remember across the arc and it works fabulously with 4:2:0 and 4:2:2.

To make it work with MyTheatre, you need to make a graph. In DVBDream, it just shows up as one of the codecs to choose.

They have contacted Saar about making it recognized by MyTheatre natively in the next version of MT.

JerryT, you have got to try it out now versus a few months ago. The picture is every bit as good as Elecard and they have dropped the price down to $15.00.

I will say they have worked long and hard to make it work with DVB applications.

Give it a try!! :cool:

I just got another update from Etymonix. I'll just quote it from them.

BTW, I was wrong about H264 as you will see below.
FYI, H264 feeds will not work with SoftReel since SoftReel is an MPEG-2 decoder (it does not support H264). We've had many requests to develop an H264 decoder as well and we think it's a great idea, but our limited resources have not allowed us to start that project (we're a pretty small company next to the competition). If SoftReel were more popular though, I think we would be working on an H264 decoder right now.

Thanks for spreading the word. Anything that helps us getting known is very appreciated. Everyone is welcome to test and report problems, or even send us requests for improvements (such as H264). We greatly value the feedback we get from users. People like you truly make a difference.

If you do come across other SoftReel problems, please let me know.

PS: Good news: Thanks to Saar and to the DVBDream people, we have received confirmation that SoftReel will be selectable as a video decoder from the options menu in the next versions of MyTheatre and DVBDream. Gone will be the need to create XGR files for MyTheatre, or to modify the guids.ini file for DVBDream!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts