'Delete Group' button grayed out, 722k

dannys58

Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Spokane, WA
Someone posted this a few months ago...I have all my DVR recording grouped by title. I used to be able to delete a whole group (for example, 10 episodes of C.S.I.). Now, the 'delete group' button is grayed out and cannot be selected.

Any ideas?

The answer came back, go select each one then hit delete. I was hoping for a better answer.

I know I can go select each one, but if I have a group with say 15 items I would like to hit 'delete group', not go pick each one. And, i assume since it is grayed out that i have to toggle something. Don't show us the button, but not let us use it. Oh, and Tech Support had no clue, after 20 minutes, they escalated it to engineering...

Does anyone know what is wrong?

AFAIK, the "Delete Group" option is available for the Custom Groups that the user creates using the My Groups feature and never the default program title groups.

OK, on my 722K with SW L667, from the My Recordings list, if I select one of my Custom Groups, the Delete Group button is available and does function. However, if I enter any of the NON-custom groups such as the Group by Title default (you did say that you have them grouped by title as this will still occur even if you activate your custom groups, so no need or point to create a custom group according to titles of recordings as, again, the DVR will do this automatically by selecting Group by Title or My Groups), the Delete Group button is grayed out. I believe this has always been the case, and, therefore, is operating properly..

Are you saying that Delete Group button was always available from within the default Group by Title? I may have missed that, and you could be correct. However, one of the reasons the Delete Group option is available from within a Custom Group and not the default Group by Title is that there can be sub-groups within the Custom Group, specifically, the Group by Title default, among others--again, within the Custom Group. In this situation, a DELETE GROUP button has a purpose, but as explained below, not really needed within the default Group by Title.

There is a way for you to issue a global delete of your default Group by Title recordings without having to select each one:

1.First, select the default Group by Title group (this step must ALWAYS be performed first or you risk deleting all your recordings--every last one on the entire DVR--in the entire My Recordings list.)

2.Then select the EDIT button.

3.Now select the SELECT ALL button. This selects all the recordings within this group only.

4.Now select, DELETE, and all the recordings in that group will be deleted and the group itself is deleted as a consequence because there are no longer any of those titles on the list, therefore, no group.

I believe this is how it all worked from day 1, but I may be mistaken. Good luck.

Last edited:
AFAIK, the "Delete Group" option is available for the Custom Groups that the user creates using the My Groups feature and never the default program title groups.

OK, on my 722K with SW L667, from the My Recordings list, if I select one of my Custom Groups, the Delete Group button is available and does function. However, if I enter any of the NON-custom groups such as the Group by Title default (you did say that you have them grouped by title as this will still occur even if you activate your custom groups, so no need or point to create a custom group according to titles of recordings as, again, the DVR will do this automatically by selecting Group by Title or My Groups), the Delete Group button is grayed out. I believe this has always been the case, and, therefore, is operating properly..

Are you saying that Delete Group button was always available from within the default Group by Title? I may have missed that, and you could be correct. However, one of the reasons the Delete Group option is available from within a Custom Group and not the default Group by Title is that there can be sub-groups within the Custom Group, specifically, the Group by Title default, among others--again, within the Custom Group. In this situation, a DELETE GROUP button has a purpose, but as explained below, not really needed within the default Group by Title.

There is a way for you to issue a global delete of your default Group by Title recordings without having to select each one:

1.First, select the default Group by Title group (this step must ALWAYS be performed first or you risk deleting all your recordings--every last one on the entire DVR--in the entire My Recordings list.)

2.Then select the EDIT button.

3.Now select the SELECT ALL button. This selects all the recordings within this group only.

4.Now select, DELETE, and all the recordings in that group will be deleted and the group itself is deleted as a consequence because there are no longer any of those titles on the list, therefore, no group.

I believe this is how it all worked from day 1, but I may be mistaken. Good luck.

All the above is correct.

An old thread, but still an issue (happend to us three times in the last couple years). I just confirmed Feb-2013 on a fresh VIP612 that you can select "Group by Title" or "My Groups", and "select" within a group works fine for delete within the group. However, as TheKrell points out in the thread "VIP612--Lost all my recordings" at this site (link in post rejected), you must be careful to DRILL INTO THE GROUP between steps 1 & 2 above, or you will be "editing" everything, not just the group, which is an easy mistake to make. This is a weakness in the user interface, with "edit" existing inside and outside groups combined with no selection on the left, which I believe allowed us to clear out all our programs more than once. Take care!