Dell preparing to squeeze 4K resolution onto a 24-inch monitor

The prices are certainly more reasonable than anything else I have seen but wouldn't 4K be wasted on a screen that small?

Not on the desktop where you sit a couple feet away and stare at it all day.

I definitely fit that description. I sit about 2 1/2 feet from a 24" monitor for 8 hours a day or more. I do get headaches and eye strain pretty often from this especially during tax season when I work closer to 10 hours a day. If something like this would help fix that problem I would definitely be interested.

This 28" Ultra HD Monitor sounds very interesting! I just ordered a new 1080p monitor, but I am now thinking of canceling that order and waiting for the P2815Q instead.

It has HDMI input, so I think I should be able to hook up my OPPO BDP-103 player to it, which has Ultra HD up-scaling. ;)

My Onkyo AVR has 4K upscaling too. I would guess that 4K TVs have built in scaling anyways though just like 1080p TVs do for lower resolution content. I don't know if monitors like these do though so that feature might be useful there.

This is a computer monitor not a TV set, so it is unlikely that it will have up-scaling, especially the one optimized for movies, but I guess we'll find out.
I don't think I would be using this monitor for watching movies really, but it will be nice to experiment with Ultra HD! :)

All monitors have to scale to meet the panels native resolution.

Well, yes it will scale to fill the screen, but I doubt it will do a good job for video up-conversion compared to what Marvell Qdeo chip can do in the OPPO. I guess we'll find out soon...
I just canceled my 1080p monitor order with Dell and will wait for the P2815Q. I am hearing end of January. ;)
To tell the truth, I didn't expect to see Ultra HD monitors under $1000 so soon! Looks like 1080p monitors will become outdated very quickly!

You are comparing a TV set which is specifically designed to upscale video to 4K to a Computer monitor, which is primarily intended to be driven at its native resolution and is not really supposed to do any video processing.

No. comparing the scaling of the Oppo to the Sony TV. From what I've been hearing, the Oppo is good but not great at scaling to 4K. No idea how well the Dell will scale.

S~

I wasn't claiming that OPPO had the best 4K scaler (after all, it came out before any 4K TV even appeared), I was just saying that it will likely do a better job up-scaling video than the sub-$1000 Dell monitor, the subject of the above discussion. Sorry, I misunderstood your statement.

The latest word I've got is that the 28" p2815q monitor will be available for orders before the end of January. And the price is supposed to be way under $1000! I mean, not $999, but possibly even well below $700, from what I am told! I am really excited!

One thing I am not clear about is whether this will be an UltraSharp monitor. The "p" prefix is usually used with Dell "Pro" monitors, which are inferior to the UltraSharp line. The Dell Press Release does call it UltraSharp at one point, but it could be a typo, perhaps they meant Ultra HD. Anyway, at this price, I don't expect it to have hight gamut scores or superb color accuracy. But I think I am ready to trade some color accuracy for bigger screen size, higher resolution and much lower price. I think this will be a gorgeous monitor!

Unfortunately, no HDMI 2.0, but that's not a problem with computers, since it will have Display Port.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)