Denon 3808 & PS3

bk63ross

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
San Francisco
Okay experts looking for the best advice on how to hook up my new Denon receiver over to the PS3? What audio formats will I be able to get from the PS3via HDMI 1.3 handshake from the receiver to the PS3?

Use the HDMI connection. As for audio, the PS3 will send LPCM to the receiver. It will not send Dolby TruHD/DTSHD to the receiver for decoding. Maybe sometime in the future, the PS3 will be able to add internal decoding for DTSHD, but for now it will decode Dolby TruHD in the player and send it as PCM to the receiver for post processing.

Enjoy.

S~

Okay experts looking for the best advice on how to hook up my new Denon receiver over to the PS3? What audio formats will I be able to get from the PS3via HDMI 1.3 handshake from the receiver to the PS3?
Most will be sent as multichannel LPCM output to your receiver. You also have the option of sending regular dolby (include ex) and dts(including ES but not hd) over as bitstream. At the moment no decoding of DTS-HD and DTS-Hd(mstr) beyond DTS core is done by the PS3.