Denon AVR-1312 vs Onkyo RX-NR509

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joex

Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
anywhere
Dears,

I want to buy my first home theater. As I don't need much power and don't have a big room, I'm looking forward to spend around $250. I have seen some models in Amazon and now I'm to decide between these two receivers. Have read many positive reviews about the Denon one and sound like both have the same features (but onkyo has network feature to play audio files).

As I have no experience on ht's it would be glad to know any advise.

Thank you a lot.

I don't think you can go wrong with either manufacturer. I would also throw Yamaha into the mix if I was you. I have a Yamaha RV-X1900 for my main setup, and a small Onkyo for my bedroom. They are all good makes. I would mostly look at the features that you want.

I'd pay close attention to the equipment rack ventilation.

Although Onkyo was first in releasing receivers capable of decoding lossless BD audio without charging an arm and a leg for it,
at least the first few generations had some heat dissipation issues (I had two of them). Denon reportedly doesn't have this problem...

Diogen.

I own both Denon and Onkyo equipment. Both have performed flawlessly for years. I feel Denon has a little better build quality, but the Onkyo usually has a few more features and a better price point.

IMHO, the heat issue on earlier Onkyos was way overblown, and has unfairly hurt their reputation. I own an Onkyo 605 and an 806. The 605 was the one reported with heat issues. I have always followed good ventilation procedures and have measured temps on the 605 at under 85 degrees under all conditions. Never had a problem laying my hand on the case like some reported. I believe the issue occurs when someone places the receiver in a rack with no side ventilation and a semi closed back. Any receiver will overheat in those conditions.

Thank you for your attention guys.
Actually both cost around $250. I've read pretty nice reviews about the denon receiver (expertreviews) but I don't have enough knowledge to compare their features.
Is it ok to use them with polk audio RM6705 speakers?
I'm gonna use it in a small room to watch the movies and play video games, that's why im looking for a simple and cheap receiver. But given the price are the same, I wanna buy the best one.
So, you thing both are ok for this kind of usage?
Thank you very much,
D.D

Either one should work fine. One thing to note is that both receivers put out more power than the speakers can handle. Volume is a complex subject, but it is probably best to keep the volume down to reasonable levels with that setup.

Buy the one with the features you prefer.

Either one should work fine. One thing to note is that both receivers put out more power than the speakers can handle. Volume is a complex subject, but it is probably best to keep the volume down to reasonable levels with that setup.

Buy the one with the features you prefer.

Thanks. Which one is better, the Polk RM6705 or Yamaha NS-SP1800 speakers?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanks. Which one is better, the Polk RM6705 or Yamaha NS-SP1800 speakers?

Thanks,

I'm not familiar with either, but generally speaking, (nyuk, nyuk!) speakers are much too subjective to recommend one over the other if they are at all comparable. You should listen to them yourself and decide.

I have the AVR 1310 in my living room (my Home theater has a more expensive Denon). It works great. Four HDMI inputs, sound is excellent. On screen controls. I use it with three infinity speakers and a sub from jvc. I do not have the ability to put in surround in my living room given the way the room is setup, but I am quite happy with the sound even though it is just 3.1 For $250, you get great equipment from Denon. SO MUCH BETTER than SONY.

I'd pay close attention to the equipment rack ventilation.

Although Onkyo was first in releasing receivers capable of decoding lossless BD audio without charging an arm and a leg for it,
at least the first few generations had some heat dissipation issues (I had two of them). Denon reportedly doesn't have this problem...

Diogen.

Yes, my Onkyo is having problems too.

I own both Denon and Onkyo equipment. Both have performed flawlessly for years. I feel Denon has a little better build quality, but the Onkyo usually has a few more features and a better price point.

IMHO, the heat issue on earlier Onkyos was way overblown, and has unfairly hurt their reputation. I own an Onkyo 605 and an 806. The 605 was the one reported with heat issues. I have always followed good ventilation procedures and have measured temps on the 605 at under 85 degrees under all conditions. Never had a problem laying my hand on the case like some reported. I believe the issue occurs when someone places the receiver in a rack with no side ventilation and a semi closed back. Any receiver will overheat in those conditions.

I have a problem when I just touch the box it kicks off, been doing this for a long time now.

I have a problem when I just touch the box it kicks off...
Must be static and some grounding issues.
Check not only the receiver but every component attached using a metal wire.
Start with the AVR not connecting to any component...

Diogen.

Must be static and some grounding issues.
Check not only the receiver but every component attached using a metal wire.
Start with the AVR not connecting to any component...

Diogen.

I have done all that. It does it without touching too, just not as often. I have everything hooked up either to and AVR or a Monster power conditioner strip.

It does it without touching too...
That sounds like a power supply issue. Or overheating.

You don't drive it at 100dB+ all the time, do you?
How big is the space around the AVR? Is it closed?
What model is the AVR?

Diogen.

That sounds like a power supply issue. Or overheating.

You don't drive it at 100dB+ all the time, do you?
How big is the space around the AVR? Is it closed?
What model is the AVR?

Diogen.

No, it isn't turned up very loud most of the time.
Plenty of space, it's open.
Don't remember. I have tried 2 different ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts