Denon DBT-1713UD / Marantz UD 5007 Universal Players

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Denon-DBT1713UD.jpg

Denon-DBT1713UD-back.jpg

The company says that the new model can provide playback of "virtually all 5-inch silver discs." In case you're checking off your AV scorecard, that includes 2D and 3D Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Of course, for those times when you don't want to tap into your own collection, the DBT-1713UD can connect to the web and stream content from Hulu Plus, Netflix, YouTube, and VUDU. (Subcriptions and/or fees may apply.)

Perfect for the anxious AV fan, Denon says that the DBT-1713UD has a startup time of just 2.5 seconds. Other features include a front-panel design and left- and right-analog audio outputs, all in a fan-less chassis.

Denon is packing the DBT-1713UD in with an HDMI cable and a remote control. Of course, users with one of Denon's newer receivers can opt for the new Denon Remote App.

Denon Packs A Bit of Everything in BT-1713UD Universal Blu-ray Player: BigPictureBigSound

I like the way it looks!

I really like the way that thing looks, its sharp. Ive heard good things about some of the models. I may have to keep my eye on this one :)

Wonder what kinda chipset they use, guess it's AnchorBay since thats whats in the Denon and Marantz AVR's.

I wonder if there isnt going to be a higher end model. The 2012 has been out over a year and is selling 50% off at A4L.

I gotta also wonder if Oppo isnt due for another model in the Fall.

Wonder what kinda chipset they use, guess it's AnchorBay since thats whats in the Denon and Marantz AVR's.

In the past they have used Panasonic's chipsets in their less expensive (;)) transport model. The 1611 uses neither the Anchor BAy nor Realta HQV chipset.

S~

Thats right, I forgot Denon was using the Uniphier SoC. I notice the 2012 is a ABT2015, and the 2010 was an ABT2010. Both of which, along with the Marvell, are more for artificial enhancement or DVD playback IMO.

In this day and age, its hard to justify some of the high end models for people who are HDMI only and only watch Blu.

I've done a lot of looking, as well as owning a bunch of models and the landscape is quite off.

You have:

Pioneer - Still failed this year with the 53 Elite, even though it looked to be stellar and offered the Marvell chip. Bad support of FW has been their issue
Onkyo - Their current player is WAY over priced for what it does
Denon/Marantz - Fall into almost the same category as Onkyo, when Oppo 93/95 is brought into the mix
Panasonic/Sony - All anyone needs if they watch Blu-ray movies via HDMI for audio and video, and do not worry as much with DVD/SACD. Also excellent in the streaming realm, granted Roku 2 is really great IMO
Oppo - Pretty much the go to unit if you either just want it to say you have it, or analog audio is still a care to you. Also offers the most PQ tweaks Ive personally seen. Best menu system, and Panasonic is second. Lacking streaming support.
Samsung/LG - Owned both of their 2011 models, and while they are nice, you miss some things in the menu and maybe not as good of FW support. Just buy a Panasonic.

In all my reading and buying, I have two recommendations depending on the need:

Panasonic or Oppo. I really like the BDT500, but if Oppo does indeed pop something new out this Fall, Im sure Ill try it.

Jason,

Pretty accurate assessment. For Oppo, my opinion would be unless you need analog, DLNA support, DVD-A, or SACD it's not worth it. I don't know if the NF bug was fixed or not since I haven't updated it in a while. I see no difference in BD between the many players I've owned and the Oppo. I steer clear of Onkyo, Pioneer, LG, and Samsung. This is my first Sony since their initial player came out which lasted a day, as did the Samsung, before I got the BD10 (which still runs strong). I love the 790's streaming capabilities and results, but I'm not sold on BD yet. I'm going to watch another movie tonight and try a few different settings.

S~

If I could put the 790's streaming into the 500, Id be happy.

Installed my brand new Wireless N modem today and still the same problem on Amazon VOD, I can only get 4 green bars. I've had this issue with the 85, the 110, the 210 and now 500. Two modems now, and a avg speed test of 5.6 mbps down, I just dont get it. I guess the Panny and Amazon VOD, along with ATT, have some quirks. I get full quality Netflix and Amazon on other devices, as well as Vudu test results above 5mbps. Makes no sense. I may just hook my Roku 2 back up for Netflix and Amazon, and use the 500 for Blu-rays. Shame.

Must be your ISP. I've never had a problem streaming Amazon. With the 790, it is showing 10+ Mbps. I know the Panasonics aren't that fast, but I still have never had any problems.
S~

Yepp, I got great results with the Sony, so something between ATT ADSL here and Panasonic/Amazon. My next toy is a ATV3 because I want to check out the 1080p movies. The ATV2 720p movies looked surprisingly good, so Im curious. I can always get my Amazon related stuff from iTunes instead, and the ATV3 has a nice Netflix app.

Chris over at big picture big sound asked if it was a Uniphier, and was told no. If you can find out what they are using in the Denon/marantz players that would be cool. I asked at Audioholics but no answer yet.

I've got a call in. For me Price/features don't justify buying the Denon or Marantz when compared to Oppo.

S~