Desire external ATSC 1.0 tuner with excellent multipath performance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cormjay

Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
alabama
Using built in ATSC 1.0 tuner in dish network 211k receiver, with bowtie uhf antenna in attic multipath performance is awful.

Bow tie antennas with all the bows in a vertical line have a wide pickup beam.

If you need to zero in on a smaller angle either a yagi or a bow tie antenna with side-by-side (usually 4 or 8 ) bows is more directional so you can adjust it to reject the reflections easier.

Can you run a TVFool.com report so we can see how far and what the distribution of your stations is?

Also be sure to locate an attic antenna as far away from any flat vertical metal surfaces as possible.

They can be reflectors, too.

If your transmitters are all in one direction, then a very directional antenna should cut down on multipath. This is the one I bought: Xtreme Signal 70 Mile VHF/UHF Yagi Outdoor TV Antenna (HDB91X) from Solid Signal although it's not as directional as I had wanted. Specs say beam width 60 deg.

The HDB91X is a really good UHF antenna. I have one in a indoor storage room aiming at Southfield, MI area, where most of our DTV transmitters are located. Distance is about 25 miles. Pulls all of the UHF solid as a rock including our Ion affiliate which is on lower power leading up to repack.

Thanks for recommendations, I was looking for a tuner, xmtr towers are in 2 directions, ENE and N, about 15-18 miles. Due to repack, stations now on lower frequencies come in better than before. TV signal from 2 stacked bowtie antenna runs thru amplifier then 4 way divider to 4 rooms in home. I also have a converter box for old analog tv, almost no multipath distortion and better sensitivity than dish network 211k receiver built in tuner.
antenna map Capture.PNG
tv stations via tvfool.com Capture.PNG

First, if at all possible get that antenna out of the attic and up in the air as high as possible, at least 5 ft above the roof. Attic installs usually cut your receivable signal in half.

Which channels are experiencing multi-path? Sometimes a slight left or right orientation of the antenna can help, otherwise a lateral or vertical move of the antenna can also help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)