Detroit Tigers

DetFan

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but it is related to the Tigers games. I live in Detroit and I have a question regarding the HD feeds for Tiger games. I have DirecTV, and typically the Tiger games are shown on FSN Detroit (channel 636). Many times, the HD feed is shown on one of the overflow channels 93-96 I think. I have watched many of the games in HD on these channels, but for the past couple of days, even though the programming guide listed the Tigers games on these channels, I am getting the message "Program not available in your area". I know the game is not being blacked out because I'm getting the standard definition feed on channel 636! I feel like I'm getting ripped off because I'm paying for HD service, so I should get it when it's available.

I called the D* last night, and I asked them this very question. After talking to 4 or 5 different people, the best answer they could give me is: "Well, we see that the HD feed is being blocked in your area and we don't know why. The owner of that feed is to blame." That seems like BS to me--why would a network block the HD feed for a game that is not blacked out?

Not sure how the stpid blackout rules work, but I "THINK" if the team is on the road and on ESPN and local, we do not that feed. FSN HD only has 60 HD games scheduled all year. Any other feeds in HD that we are lucky enough to see will be the game of the week on FOX, or the Sunday night game on ESPN or if they are at home on ESPN..I THINK..

DetFan

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
Yankees are not a good playoff team, are you kidding me with that pitching staff?
I'll take my chances with Verlander, Bonderman, and Rogers in a short series, before I take the wheelchair gang of CLemens, Mussina, and whatever other stiff they can throw out there for 18 million bucks.

They might be good at making it to the playoffs, but when is the last time they won a playoff series? IF we get to paly them in the playoffs, and that is still a very big if, then I would gladly take them as my first round opponent..

PS Cameron Maybin got the call up last night..Should be in uniform playing tonight, as to why I have not heard yet, but I am guessing Thames, tweaked his hammy again, or they have just had it with Monroe..

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
PS Cameron Maybin got the call up last night..Should be in uniform playing tonight, as to why I have not heard yet, but I am guessing Thames, tweaked his hammy again, or they have just had it with Monroe..

I hadn't heard that yet ...
Thanks for the info, they will now have speed and more speed in the outfield and Maggs of course. :up

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but it is related to the Tigers games. I live in Detroit and I have a question regarding the HD feeds for Tiger games. I have DirecTV, and typically the Tiger games are shown on FSN Detroit (channel 636). Many times, the HD feed is shown on one of the overflow channels 93-96 I think. I have watched many of the games in HD on these channels, but for the past couple of days, even though the programming guide listed the Tigers games on these channels, I am getting the message "Program not available in your area". I know the game is not being blacked out because I'm getting the standard definition feed on channel 636! I feel like I'm getting ripped off because I'm paying for HD service, so I should get it when it's available.

I called the D* last night, and I asked them this very question. After talking to 4 or 5 different people, the best answer they could give me is: "Well, we see that the HD feed is being blocked in your area and we don't know why. The owner of that feed is to blame." That seems like BS to me--why would a network block the HD feed for a game that is not blacked out?

First of all ...
:welcome to the site !!!

If you want to talk Tigers , your in the right place.

As for Blackouts, thats a real tricky situation, there are no set in stone rules that I have been able to find.
However, if you go to the FSN Detroit webpage you will find a list of theHD games that are scheduled for the Tigers ... oddly neither the Cleveland series or the Yankee series is listed to be in HD. (Fox Sports Detroit, that is)
Next HD game is the 21,22 against Cleveland and 24, 27th against the Yankees. I believe that THOSE games should be available.

Jimbo

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
Monroe was granted an outright release, Infante was demoted to AAA, Ramon Santiago was promoted , and Cameron Maybin will start in LF tonight. This was not surprising. Leyland is looking for defense at SS, and Monroe has totally lost it at the plate. Sad to see him go, though. I'll remember his clutch hitting last season as a big reason we were in the World Series. Good look Mr. Monroe, and I hope you land on your feet, preferably in the NL, so you don't come back to haunt us. It will be exciting to see what all the fuss about Maybin has been. I just hope this isn't too soon for him.

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
First of all ...
:welcome to the site !!!

If you want to talk Tigers , your in the right place.

As for Blackouts, thats a real tricky situation, there are no set in stone rules that I have been able to find.
However, if you go to the FSN Detroit webpage you will find a list of theHD games that are scheduled for the Tigers ... oddly neither the Cleveland series or the Yankee series is listed to be in HD. (Fox Sports Detroit, that is)
Next HD game is the 21,22 against Cleveland and 24, 27th against the Yankees. I believe that THOSE games should be available.

Jimbo

Great, just what we need around here - Another freakin' Buckeye.:eek:
Welcome to the forum. Stick around, Jimbo will need help come football time.

GO BLUE!!!

KillrBuckeye

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 17, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Haha! Thanks for the warm welcome. I've become a fan of the Red Wings, Tigers, and Pistons since moving to Detroit from Columbus, but as an Ohio State grad my loyalty will always lie with the Buckeyes!

Jimbo, thanks for info regarding the FSN Detroit webpage. I was very confused because the program guide last night showed "Tigers @ Yankees" on channel 95, so I figured it was the FSN Detroit feed in HD (that's where I usually find the HD feed anyway). But now that I think about it, I guess it could have been some other feed, like the MLB Extra Innings or some New York regional feed. If FSN Detroit is broadcasting the game, then it's understandable that any other feed for the game in this region will be blacked out.

Another question though: I've noticed sometimes when the Tigers have been on Fox 2 Detroit for weekend day games, the broadcast is not in HD. Why would that be? You'd think it would be more likely to be in HD when it's going out to a broader audience, right?

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
I"m not sure why Fox2 doesn't do HD, they DID for opening day, so we KNOW they CAN.
The broadcast is still produced by FSN, so we know they can too.

Today - very suprised by the news of Craig Monroe, I know he was struggling but an outright release for a rookie that only had 6 games at AA. Tonights pregame show has been quite good.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Great, just what we need around here - Another freakin' Buckeye.:eek:
Welcome to the forum. Stick around, Jimbo will need help come football time.

GO BLUE!!!

Jimbo's whole season depends on Troy Smith (Wolverine killer) 's replacement, the Defense will be stout again. I can actually vision the OLD Tressel, great D, Great Kicking team, average Offense, win game in the last few minutes with a field goal ! As I recall , we one the National Championship that year !!!

Paul, there are plenty of Buckeye's on this site, half the people have Columbus listed as their residence.

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
I"m not sure why Fox2 doesn't do HD, they DID for opening day, so we KNOW they CAN.
The broadcast is still produced by FSN, so we know they can too.

Today - very suprised by the news of Craig Monroe, I know he was struggling but an outright release for a rookie that only had 6 games at AA. Tonights pregame show has been quite good.

Watch closely, the infusion of young Tigers continues....
I'm not sure whats up with Fox on Saturdays, they normally did thier games last year in a strech version of 480i or p, can't remember which.

Of course, Tonights game is also "Blacked Out" for us in the area.
Imagine, I am close enough to be blacked out, but the still want to cvharge me for the Sports Pack , because I'm too far away.
Also , I don't get FSN Detroit on 96 because I'm too far away.

Jimbo

GrnMtnMan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 15, 2007
VT
Well, they say that Maybin is a stud and lets face it Monroe, for all he has done, really isn't all that good. If you can develop your young stars in a playoff race there isn't much better that you can do for his overall development. Just don't get the kid up there let him struggle and ride the pine. It will be interesting to see how he responds. Seattle recently did the same thing with Adam Jones. Hope it works out well for you guys.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Well, they say that Maybin is a stud and lets face it Monroe, for all he has done, really isn't all that good. If you can develop your young stars in a playoff race there isn't much better that you can do for his overall development. Just don't get the kid up there let him struggle and ride the pine. It will be interesting to see how he responds. Seattle recently did the same thing with Adam Jones. Hope it works out well for you guys.

Monroe was Mr. Clutch last year and can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag this year ... amazing ...

Monroe IS a VERY Good Defensive outfielder, that said Maybin is suppose to be the real thing too....and Granderson has sure come of age this year.

Who started in CF in the ALL Star game this year ?
Granderson and Sizemore BOTH deserved to be there.

IF ... Maybin struggles, stick with him, don't jump ship on the first few games, I think he'll be alot like Granderson in the long run.

Jimbo

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
I guess that is what I'm afraid of with Maybin, how will he respond if he struggles and gets sent down rather quickly. Lets see, we had a CF like that last year with Clevlen, did great for a while and we haven't heard a blip this year, although he is 4 years older than Maybin.

If it would ever stop raining we could see how he does :)

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
I guess that is what I'm afraid of with Maybin, how will he respond if he struggles and gets sent down rather quickly. Lets see, we had a CF like that last year with Clevlen, did great for a while and we haven't heard a blip this year, although he is 4 years older than Maybin.

If it would ever stop raining we could see how he does :)

Cleland is nothing compaired to Maybin, I just wish they would have brought Maybin up to Toledo for awhile .... they tend to skip right by Toledo alot, but if they struggle they come down here to get straightened out, the coaches in Toledo are excellent.

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Very frustrating....
The Tigers cannot play two good games in a row.

Whens the last time they won 3 games in a row ?

Leyland doesn't pull no punches.
The other night he said " Who are we trying to kid, we are not going to the playoffs playing like this" or something close to that.
and he's right.

Now next week when players start to come back, it could be different.
Zumaya pitches tomorrow for the Mud Hens IN Columbus, so if yopu Buckeye fans are looking for something to do tommorow, check him out, he's quite a sight to watch, 95-102 mph fastball and a 82 mph change up ...

Heres hoping he solidifies the bullpen, Rodney is back and appears to be the Rodney of old.
Verlander is still hurting along with Palonco and 2-3 other with the flu, Minor is also sick, but pitched none the less Thursday night. Rogers is on the sick list too.!sadroll:yikes

Monroe is gone now, so here come more kids !

Jimbo

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
Monroe was granted an outright release, Infante was demoted to AAA, Ramon Santiago was promoted , and Cameron Maybin will start in LF tonight. This was not surprising. Leyland is looking for defense at SS, and Monroe has totally lost it at the plate. Sad to see him go, though. I'll remember his clutch hitting last season as a big reason we were in the World Series. Good look Mr. Monroe, and I hope you land on your feet, preferably in the NL, so you don't come back to haunt us. It will be exciting to see what all the fuss about Maybin has been. I just hope this isn't too soon for him.

Well both Monroe and Jack Wilson has cleared waivers, so a trade could be a possibility.

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
My bad on that post,(heard it on local sports radio). Monroe is "designated for assignment", which means the Tigers have 10 days to make a trade or release him. It's my understanding though that Monroe refused to go to AAA. Talk about throwing someone to the wolves, they sure picked a tough time to bring Maybin up - Yankee Stadium, facing Pettitte and Clemens in his first 2 starts. I would think that would be a little overwhelming for anybody. I'm sure he will be just fine after he settles in. Detroit supposedly still talking to Pittsburgh about Jack Wilson. Infante will certainly be recalled Sept. 1st, when rosters expand to 40 players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts