This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Deutsche Welle - Need some feedback

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fzimmerman

Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Creston, BC
I have a friend with a 6 foot C-Band dish. I install Ku Band dishes on occasion, so I don't have a lot of experience with the larger ones, but he has had it working for a while, so it is installed correctly.

Apparently he used to get Deutsche Welle when it was on an analog signal, but since it was switched to digital he did not receive it. So he purchased a Pansat receiver and a BSC621-2 Lnbf (C/KU band combined).

I was over at his place trying to help him set it up, and we didn't get too far. We were able to get some channels from 97W (Galaxy 25) on Ku band, but nowhere near as many as I can get with my 3-foot dedicated Ku dish. However, I have read on the forums that the BSC621 is not so great for Ku...so maybe our experience is normal?

Also, when we tried to get Deutsche Welle on AMC1, we were able to get a reasonable signal (not fantastic, but okay), but no picture or sound. Perhaps the signal strength was not enough?...yet we were able to get pictures off other satellites with equivalent signal strength.

I'll probably go over again and see if we can tweak it a bit more, but I just thought I would ask first to make sure Deutsche Welle is still available and that others can receive it no problem. Also, any tips on tuning it in better would be appreciated.

Here is a recent discussion... it may be of some help.

That 7/8 FEC will make it more difficult to receive.
But, based on the comments above, not impossible. - :up

From what I've read about that BSC-621 over the years, I would retune the LNB for C-band exclusively.
There are some suggestions that the focal point for Ku is not the same as C-band.

From reading other recent discussions related to DW-TV on AMC1 it seems that this signal might be a bit marginal on a 6 footer since the 10 footer guys have no problem with it.

In my personal instance I have a very clean fairly new Kaul 6 footer mesh dish which pulls in DW-TV on a Coolsat with a BSC621 no problem at all at over 70% on a Coolsat 6000. Accumulated wet snow on the dish will interfere with the signal quite a bit.

If the cabling is good and there is nothing to attenuate the signal you might want to check the integrity of the dish.

I am still having a terrible time trying to get DW-TV back. I miss it dearly. Recently, the signal would go in and out at different times of the day, now I get no signal at all. I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or what. If worst comes to worst I'll just have to get a new dish, because I believe the shape could be a problem. I'm in Northeast PA and have a 6 foot Fortec.

Jonathan

Iceberg,

Here I thought they will stop broadcasting on 58W, but only looked like DW-TV USA. DW-TV Latin America should still be broadcasting:

ATTENTION: On October 17, 2008 DW-TV USA via INTELSAT 9 (channel 15) will be shut down definetely.

Unfortunately, 58W is in view of trees. I also want Deutsche Welle Radio from AMC1. I know you can stream that on the net (I do that now for backup), but I want to receive it via satellite.

Can you receive it from AMC1 with your 6'?

Thanks.

Jonathan

sorry. Mike Kohl's list (global-cm.net) dated 11/13 shows it on 58W

I havent tried on my 6 footer recently. Been working on other projects

I have an update. The focal depth was the issue. It was out of whack. To properly peak it I used a Maxpeak SAM DVB-S meter. Now it comes in rock solid. So for DW-TV on AMC 1, a good, professional meter will do the trick. I got mine used from eBay. Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.