Diamond 9000HD Installation Help Needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

technowhiz

Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I finally got my Diamond 9000HD FTA receiver which has both an ATSC (terrestial) and a satellite tuner. With a Yagi aerial connected to the TV Antenna In, I was able to receive almost 50 local channels. However, with a Fortec star 90 cm dish connected to the LNB Input of the receiver, I cannot get a signal at all. With a Satellite Finder SF95C+ connected in between the LNB and the receiver, and the satellite dish facing south from 100 degrees to 220 degrees azimuth, and the altitude varied from horizontal to about 45 degrees, I did not get any signal at all. The satellite finder meter did not even budge and did not emit any tone. My location is near Los Angeles (Latitude of 34 degrees 13.7 minutes North, and Longitude 118 degrees 26.7 minutes West). I placed the dish at the backyard moving it side to side and up and down. What else do I need to do?

just like any other FTA receiver

Well, here is a real brief overview:

1. pick a satellite you want to watch (be reasonable for your first test)
2. select a transponder on that satellite with a strong signal and tune your receiver accordingly
3. use one of the many aiming calculators (below) to get your elevation and azimuth in the ball park
4. with no switches nor motors between the LNB and your receiver, look for a signal
5. peak the Quality on your receiver, once you've located a bird
6. rinse, repeat. - :rolleyes:

eg: TheList, GeoSatFinder, Sadouns Calculator.

No tone at the SF-95 I would check the voltage at the end of the Coax that connects to the SF-95. You should have 13~18 volts.
Bob

No tone at the SF-95 I would check the voltage at the end of the Coax that connects to the SF-95. You should have 13~18 volts.
Bob

I checked the volatage at the end of the coax connected to the LNB input of the receiver, and there was none at all. I connected the (+) probe to the center pin, and the (-) probe to the outer rim of F connector and got zero volt. The receiver was powered on. Does this mean that my receiver is defective? How do I get the volatage supply to the LNB input F connector?

Last edited:
Check the Sat Setup page, check to make sure LNB Power is "ON"

EDIT:
You said "I checked the volatage at the end of the coax............."
Did you check the Voltage on the LNB Input on the Back of the Receiver?

Last edited:
Diamond 9000HD

Well, here is a real brief overview:

1. pick a satellite you want to watch (be reasonable for your first test)
2. select a transponder on that satellite with a strong signal and tune your receiver accordingly
3. use one of the many aiming calculators (below) to get your elevation and azimuth in the ball park
4. with no switches nor motors between the LNB and your receiver, look for a signal
5. peak the Quality on your receiver, once you've located a bird
6. rinse, repeat. - :rolleyes:

eg: TheList, GeoSatFinder, Sadouns Calculator.

Unable to get a satellite signal in my location, I took my receiver to a friend's room-mate who has a successful satellite setup using a Captiveworks CW-800S receiver. He let me use his satellite dish and LNB to connect to my Diamond receiver. The dish was aimed at 119 degrees Echostar 7 and I let my Daiamond 9000HD scan the channels. During scanning we get signal levels of 87%, and 89% but the Quality level stayed at zero. I was told that the receiver can detect the satellite signals but cannot decipher them.

Upon his suggestion, we upgraded the firmware because the factory default firmware was dated Dec. 31, 2004. After searching several websites, we found a firmware update named Diamond 9000hd 128p.zip. So we updated the firmware to August 2007, shut down the receiver to reset and power it back on. We repeated the Channel scan (autoscan) and detected signal levels of up to 91%, but still the quality level is zero and no channels were recognized by the receiver. We searched for more firmware updates and found a May 22, 2008 Diamond 9000hd stb file which we also uploaded to the receiver, repeated the Channel scan, and still the receiver cannot recognize the satellite signals. Does anybody has any more ideas we can try?

My guess is that the friend had some electronic switches in line, and your Diamond wasn't properly programmed to deal with them.
It is unlikely that the receiver can auto-detect any configuration like that, so you are left with manual setup.
In that case, did you set your receiver to the appropriate bird, and LO?

Since your friend could have Legacy LNBs (like we use on FTA) or DishPro LNBs (which are bandstacked), that would have to be taken into account, too.

Diamond 9000HD installation, help needed

My guess is that the friend had some electronic switches in line, and your Diamond wasn't properly programmed to deal with them.
It is unlikely that the receiver can auto-detect any configuration like that, so you are left with manual setup.
In that case, did you set your receiver to the appropriate bird, and LO?

Since your friend could have Legacy LNBs (like we use on FTA) or DishPro LNBs (which are bandstacked), that would have to be taken into account, too.

The friend does have a diseqc swith inline and he uses a quad output LNB with circular and linear outputs. Anyhow, I managed to set up my own dish at about 180 degrees azimuth (magnetic) and elevation of about 50 degrees. I was able to get signal level of 91% to 95% and a quality level of 85% on Echostar 8,10 and Nimiq 1 & Nimiq 2. I got up to 280 channels per satellite but when I try to watch the channels, I get a persistent "Scramble Channel" message and I don't see anything. What is wrong here? Are there not Free Channels on Echostar 8, 10, Nimiq 1 and Nimiq 2? Or is it the receiver defective? The terrestial tuner works perfectly though. What gives?

What satellite do you recommend as a starting point that contains many free to air channels? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I beleive NASA is on EchoStar7 @ 119
Can you list your setup, Dish, LNB and Motor?

For FTA, try Galaxy 18(formerly Galaxy10R) @ 123 west
TPs
11720 V 27692
11800 V 26657

Remember to set proper LNB settings
LNB- Single or Standard
L.O. 10750
DiSEqC and Motor setting to match your setup

When you do a scan on a DBS bird (Dish Notwork or Bell Expressvu), use 'FTA only' as a scanning option. If not, you'll get so many scrambled channels it will take hours to get rid of them :rolleyes: There are only a very small handful (fewer than 10 for sure, including some duplicates) of clear channels on any given DBS satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts