Diamond 9000HD locking up on 8PSK TPs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
Has anyone else had this issue? Previously I had used the Diamond on several 8PSK (and I'm pretty sure QPSK) signals, most notably on 103w. I had the box in storage for several months during a move and now, more often than not, the box completely locks up or resets when I try to view previously scanned channels or just when I try and scan one of these TPs. I thought that it possibly might be a heat issue as this box gets super hot, so I might add a small fan to the unit. Just wanted to see if anyone else had the issue and what they might have done to resolve/reduce it.

Thanks!

I use my Diamond 9000HD on the DVB-S2 RTV channels on AMC3 daily and never have any problems. It runs barely warm to the touch and I think is one of the least buggy of any of the DVB satellite receivers I own. Mine also is running the original factory software. The only thing I have encountered (and I forget now where it is) is that some TP somewhere makes it reboot if scanned.

I agree with Corrado I use my Diamond 9000HD daily also for over 3 years with no problem i only use my Azbox Elite on the 4.2.2 feeds but my Diamond is my favorite very easy to use.

I use my Diamond 9000HD on the DVB-S2 RTV channels on AMC3 daily and never have any problems. It runs barely warm to the touch and I think is one of the least buggy of any of the DVB satellite receivers I own. Mine also is running the original factory software. The only thing I have encountered (and I forget now where it is) is that some TP somewhere makes it reboot if scanned.

I also agree that I seldom have any such issues with my Diamond. I WISH that my Diamond had the factory firmware, but I bought it used, and it has the infamous 1.31P pirate firmware on it, even though the seller (some fellow in Ottawa) assured me that it had the original factory firmware on it.
But I use my Diamond to move my 90CM Fortec, and it also controls the switch that selects between that and my fixed Primestar dish, and the Ku LNB from my BUD.
I've never had the above mentioned problems with DVB-S2 transponders, either 8PSK or QPSK, although I too have run across one or two transponders that seemed to play havoc with the receiver. However when that happened, I rebooted, went back to the transponder, and wasn't able to repeat the problem, so I'm not sure what was going on.
My 9000 also generally runs quite cool, but one day this summer, the thing did seem to go beserk and it got very hot, and froze up, however again, after power cycling the thing, it came back to life, and has been running cool again for months.
Anyway, the OP'ers symptoms are strange. If it were mine, I think I would put my CM meter on the thing, and see if the LNB/motor, etc might be drawing too much current or something. I think normally, there should only be about ~90-100 mA current, unless the receiver is driving a motor, and then it might go up to a couple hundred mA. But if something's wrong with the LNB/motor, or switches, or wiring, maybe the power supply on the receiver is being over-worked.
Anyway, the Diamond IS really a nice receiver (if only I didn't have the pirate firmware). The only weird thing is that you need to use the channel editor to program DVB-S2 transponders. And that's one thing the OP'er might try, ie assuming that he has saved a copy of the channel data, last time the editor was used, it wouldn't hurt to send that to the receiver again, just in case the data in there got corrupted while in storage.

I'll have to check the voltage to the motor. This is a fairly new occurrence to me, since I've installed the dish after my move. Mine does have the 1.31p *grumble* but I generally have very good luck with the receiver. I did recently pull the channel data off and reinstall it after adding some new TPs and that didn't seem to change anything. Perhaps reflashing the FW might help. I still might try the fan approach as well, since mine does seem to run warm.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.