Diamond 9000HD question...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
I see one on Ebay being offered for a LOW LOW price. Before I buy, have these things been cloned? Should I worry? If so, how can I identify?

I bought one off ebay from Canadaelectronicsnow. Got a great deal, and its a great reciever. Being a digiwave, even if there is hacker software on it, its easy to reload the original stuff from what I've heard. Mine came with the original software (Version 1.00), so I haven't had to do anything with it at all.

if it is the same one I am looking at, you are better off looking elsewhere. there is a known bug with the 3rd party firmware and loss of sound on this box.

i have been looking into an HD box for a while, but haven't been able to get a really good deal. I am still looking, but maybe I just need to wait a little longer. it is the ATSC/PVR features I am after.

for anyone finding this thread...

I was thinking of one of these a while back.
Didn't go through with it at the time.

Here's a previous discussion about 'em, and in that thread there is a link to a very nice Diamond 9000 review.

Since some of the competition are just awful, and ya cannot pull files off the hard drive, I guess I'm keeping my finger on Diamond's pulse.
Good to know it's still alive.
Would certainly like a PM if they ever upgrade their factory firmware. - :up

Do not buy a used unit, as empertic said, the last Hack-ware does some damage to the sound and if any older firm is loaded you have no sound. The catch is that the Hack-ware causes a video glitch on HD feeds.
Also, Digiwave will only servise the box if you buy it from them.
As for clones, there are no clones, just different "flavors" for different parts of the world.
The "guys" in Europe love their versions, just wasn't a hit in North America.

Since some of the competition are just awful, and ya cannot pull files off the hard drive, I guess I'm keeping my finger on Diamond's pulse.

you and me both. I have been looking for a FTA HD box for a while. Mainly one that offers ATSC/PVR features.

The Diamond seems like the best option.

off the air digital program guide

The Program Guide doesn't work though.
Well, it does in a number of $50 / $60 digital converter boxes.
My Channel Master 7000, and the Dish DTV Pal, to name a few.

But, I don't want to beat the point to death.
I think I already made my point clear in the other thread and/or the review.

Have my fingers crossed for good things to come. ;)

BTW, I'm laughing over the sound problem in 3rd party firmware.
Probably some way to fix it easily. (JTAG comes to mind.)
Maybe that could lead to some really cheap boxes 'till a fix becomes well known.

Maybe that could lead to some really cheap boxes 'till a fix becomes well known.

i've got my fingers crossed!

The Program Guide doesn't work though.
In reference to the Diamond only.

The Euro versions have a "Downgrade" file, does not work for the Diamond.

In reference to the Diamond only.

The Euro versions have a "Downgrade" file, does not work for the Diamond.

Lak,

What is your version of factory firmware? Mine is 1.00 and its working fine. Might want to upgrade it, but Digiwave doesn't have any on its website.

My Firm. is version 1.04, it's from the ftadiamond.com website(operated by Digiwave)
Never seen vers. 1.0. My boxes came with vers. 0.04.
Your OTA Program Guide works?

Thanks guys, never knew about that site. May try an upgrade later once I have a chance to play with the box a lot more.

No OTA HD up here, so can' t help you with that Lak.

I did notice that it will not accept a few of my usb sticks, especially Lexar ones. Not sure if its the stick itself or the firmware. I reformatted one of them to remove any of the 'factory' software on it, but its still the same. An old no-name one works just fine.

Other than that, now that I got a version of the channel edit software, entering info I find on my Ultra to the box is a lot easier :) I don't have an HD set yet, but the HD channels on my old TV look awesome!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts