Did anyone preorder the Ipad today?

I think this PC World story from Friday points to the real issue about ordering early -

iPad Pre-Orders: For Idiots Only - PCWorld

I think they nailed it.
That's pretty much the same thing they said about icons and windowed operating systems when they first came out. Their ability to predict trends hasn't been all that hot...

These kinds of stories are a lot like ones that call people idiots for buying a truck instead of a car or deciding to buy anything over anything else. Some people really are capable of making decisions about what they think will work for their needs - others need a talking head or the the government to step in to make decisions for them. I feel sorry for the people who need to find justification for their decisions in the media.

Last edited:
The premise is right though, and the comparison to the first ipod touch isn't unfair. The rest of your post is hilarious though, trying to villainize every blog or news article with a different opinion, what's wrong with people forming their own with the help of others? It's called an informed opinion. We're not all like you, neck deep in the koolaid that we have to valiantly defend it from all of the evil posters and articles written about it on this forum.

That's pretty much the same thing they said about icons and windowed operating systems when they first came out. They're ability to predict trends hasn't been all that hot...

These kinds of stories are a lot like ones that call people idiots for buying a truck instead of a car or deciding to buy anything over anything else. Some people really are capable of making decisions about what they think will work for their needs - others need a talking head or the the government to step in to make decisions for them. I feel sorry for the people who need to find justification for their decisions in the media.

They do have a good point about waiting 3 weeks to find out what it does and how well it works before buying. Unless you expect there to be a huge shortage and people will be waiting months if they do not preorder.

The premise is right though, and the comparison to the first ipod touch isn't unfair. The rest of your post is hilarious though, trying to villainize every blog or news article with a different opinion, what's wrong with people forming their own with the help of others? It's called an informed opinion. We're not all like you, neck deep in the koolaid that we have to valiantly defend it from all of the evil posters and articles written about it on this forum.

Drink that Apple kool-aid. ;) :D

They do have a good point about waiting 3 weeks to find out what it does and how well it works before buying. Unless you expect there to be a huge shortage and people will be waiting months if they do not preorder.
Or you need to have a unit to test applications you are developing for it. There are many other reasons people could have to want or need to purchase the device now.

That's pretty much the same thing they said about icons and windowed operating systems when they first came out. Their ability to predict trends hasn't been all that hot...

Trucks have been around for over 100 years. Most people that buy a truck over a car know what they are buying, even if they do not plan on using it as a truck.

The difference here is that few people buying this product on the first day had any idea of what exactly it does.

Let me add, why would anyone pay $800 for an oversized iPod Touch when they can spend less money on a PC laptop that can do just about everything this thing can do and much more?

Why do you constantly feel the need to belittle others for having an opinion that is different than yours?
Maybe - just maybe - you should start with paying more attention to your own "revelations" before you start with this rhetoric?
I don't really give a damn what you believe fanboy.

And beefing up your reading comprehension skills would only help your "impartial developer" image...

Diogen.

Trucks have been around for over 100 years. Most people that buy a truck over a car know what they are buying, even if they do not plan on using it as a truck.

The difference here is that few people buying this product on the first day had any idea of what exactly it does.

Let me add, why would anyone pay $800 for an oversized iPod Touch when they can spend less money on a PC laptop that can do just about everything this thing can do and much more?
You said it yourself "just about everything" - there are things that the iPad and Android tablets will be much more appropriate for. If you don't see it, that's fine but I'm not going to call you an idiot because you've come to a different conclusion than I have.

As an example, I'm also a photographer. The iPad or other tablet will be much better to have than a laptop when I'm on a shooting assignment. With multiple camera bodies, multiple lenses, tripods, etc. already loading down my camera bag the extra bulk and weight of a laptop doesn't work well. Also, the display on a phone is not big enough to help when showing photos to customers during the shoot. A tablet will be perfect in that application.

There are hundreds of other examples that could be used but it's obvious you've made up your mind so I won't bother you with them.

I really don't have the time as I'm currently developing an application for an Android based tablet. Why do you constantly feel the need to belittle others for having an opinion that is different than yours?

Wasn't belittling anyone. If I was, I would have used the :rolleyes: instead of the ;) :D

Maybe - just maybe - you should start with paying more attention to your own "revelations" before you start with this rhetoric?

And beefing up your reading comprehension skills would only help your "impartial developer" image...

Diogen.
You and I both know that was in response to your calling me an Apple fanboy in other threads.

You said it yourself "just about everything" - there are things that the iPad and Android tablets will be much more appropriate for. If you don't see it, that's fine but I'm not going to call you an idiot because you've come to a different conclusion than I have.

As an example, I'm also a photographer. The iPad or other tablet will be much better to have than a laptop when I'm on a shooting assignment. With multiple camera bodies, multiple lenses, tripods, etc. already loading down my camera bag the extra bulk and weight of a laptop doesn't work well. Also, the display on a phone is not big enough to help when showing photos to customers during the shoot. A tablet will be perfect in that application.

There are hundreds of other examples that could be used but it's obvious you've made up your mind so I won't bother you with them.
Then you are not one of those of whom the author of the article is referring to.

Hey Mike- I felt the same way about those who jumped on the DROID's first release.

;) :neener

LOL. :bow

But of course, I didn't buy it before it came out. Didn't pre-order it. Didn't spend $800 on it.

I bought it after playing with one for an hour, and knew I would have 30 days to return it if I did not like it. Slight difference. :D

Mike- I think most of the so called "idiots" carefully reviewed the ipad on the web site, watched the video of Steve's on stage live performance with it and made the choice of quality of construction based on their knowledge of Apple product quality reputation. They know it lacks a camera and Flash and doesn't do multitasking but will be pleased with their ipad purchase just as you are with that clumsy looking Motorola Droid.

Personally, I plan to get a tablet free since I sold and bought back stock on the day of the demo to rake in an $830 profit that's socked away in the bank. Yet, I didn't order because I did say I want to see what else will be coming out and am quite concerned at the usability in the Florida sun. But for my Home theater usage, the ipad fits the bill. No Flash support may make it a bad choice for the kitchen and wife use although she wants one. Bottom line- I'm in no hurry.

Mike- I think most of the so called "idiots" carefully reviewed the ipad on the web site, watched the video of Steve's on stage live performance with it and made the choice of quality of construction based on their knowledge of Apple product quality reputation. They know it lacks a camera and Flash and doesn't do multitasking but will be pleased with their ipad purchase just as you are with that clumsy looking Motorola Droid.
Don't forget that many of the early adopters already have an iPhone so they know what to expect from the OS and they know how it operates. These people see uses for the same technology with a larger screen. It's really no different from buying a new PC to replace (or supplement) an old one based only on the specs and photos of the hardware.

You and I both know that was in response to your calling me an Apple fanboy in other threads.
No, we don't.
First, your attention/comprehension span is about one sentence.
And not having any arguments left - you resort beating your chest of "impartiality"...

And now remind me again that you are developing an Android app at this very moment...

Pathetic.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)